Preview Changes: R3 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure about that. I reckon Lynch would be a definite upgrade on either Mackay or Rat in their roles. A fully conditioned Fog gives us the player we severely lack when our forwards aren't getting silver service. I've been a Rat fan, but I think we'd be a better team overall if Lynch took Dmacs role this week and if Rat doesn't extract finger, he gets replaced by Knight. Assumes Fog able to run out a genuine game of footy though, which is probably a ? at this moment.
I don't think Fog is at that point yet. Also I don't think Lynch would be good at DMack role, or at least I don't think he would be more better at it than the person who would be playing Lynch roles would be worse than Lynch.

So [Lynch>DMack] < [Whoever<Lynch]

OK, that's enough maths

Douglas is a very solid player, but the rest I agree with. Reckon Otten is done, barely featured in any of the PS games and although he may be carrying an injury he missed R1 too.

Break glass in a Talia AND Harto emergency as Keath will come in if one goes down.

I would prefer Keath over Hartigan as well as i think he allows us better overall cover in a team defense setting .
Talia and Hartigan are too same same for me and neither of them can kick nor offer any drive out of the backline so one of them is enough . TBH i have not been thrilled with Talia's last 18 months .
Keath and Doedee give us very good intercept ability and better agility around the contest .
Plus both are smart footballers .

Douglas is a solid player who had a good season last year , his first for the last 4 years .
Still don't think he brings us anything unique , he is a glorified toiler .
A grab ball , smack ball on boot type with limited defensive cover .
How much better did our midfield look with competitive beasts in CEY and Greenwood last week .

We need to use our depth in the squad so that we are fresh for finals and build proven flexibility in our lineups .
The same same is so easy to plan against and it showed in the big one last year .

So let’s say that our current 4 key position players play well and stay injury free for the next 2 years, what happens to Fog?

Would we really keep a talent like that in the SANFL for 2 years? Or would we find a way of fitting him in?
If our 4 key position players are all injury free for 2 years, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Reality is, won't happen and Fog at this stage can build up his tank and play a few games to either cover injuries, give players a rest. And if he is good enough, he'll demand selection. If he is kicking 4+ regularly in the SANFL, he'll be picked.

Love his kick, attitude and marking. But we all knew when he was picked his fitness was not up to scratch, no bad thing for him to work on that. We know he can play at the AFL level, but he needs to show he can run out the 4 quarters, or teams will just put someone like Rance (or even Lever on him) and run him ragged.

Yes, he wasn’t named in the SANFL. Maybe Sloane/Mackay are in doubt?
I suspect his being an emergency and not named in SANFL has 2 reasons.
1. As another poster suggested, maybe the club wants to get him accustomed to the afl travel routine.
2. Perhaps they really want him to play as many afl games as he can manage and they deem a complete rest week would freshen him up.

You know I half agree, I feel we should be setting the team up with insurances for when injuries strike. Play other players so when then inevitable happens they've had a taste and Otten isn't the inevitable alternative.
I even agree that Fog doesn't have the tank for a whole season but after two games into a season... really, two games.

I wish we took the same attitude with Jacobs and stop grinding him into ground by seasons end and enforce a couple breaks whether he likes it or not. Also gives us a chance to see what we have in reserve if the worst happened.

Right now, Fogarty is a depth player. An important depth player, and a player we are very hot on in the future, but one that must make way when a better player is fit. Equally he is needed to last the whole season, as there has to be a long game approach with this. Sure he could play three now, but what if McGovern does a serious hamstring in round 6 for instance? That extra game could be the breaking point.

Due to the lack of fitness, he needs to be managed very carefully if we want to rely on him in finals.

I also wish we did this with Jacobs, and most of our key players when we have soft games.

So let’s say that our current 4 key position players play well and stay injury free for the next 2 years, what happens to Fog?

Would we really keep a talent like that in the SANFL for 2 years? Or would we find a way of fitting him in?

Considering we seem to be doing everything in our power to force one of the four out of the club currently, we definitely have plans to clear a path for Fogarty.

Im sure it didn't happen like that but if it did ...
My post was suggesting that the selectors probably spent much less time picking Lynch and dropping Fogarty than has been spent in here criticising it. If there was an emoji for "irony" I would have used it.
Anyway, neither of us know how it went down.
The Crows select/drop like-for-like and won't be selecting Fogarty based on the player he'll be in 2-3 years' time. Right now, Lynch is regarded as a better player. IF he's fit and ready to go he'll run out the whole game for starters and is a key linkman in the team. Fogarty is not as fit, nor as effective as Lynch can be (tbh, I hope Lynch plays a blinder; we need it).
I don't know why Ratkins (2 poor games) and Dmac (post-concussed) have been re-selected, but melting down because the selectors have picked them, or Lynch over Fogarty, won't change anything.

My post was suggesting that the selectors probably spent much less time picking Lynch and dropping Fogarty than has been spent in here criticising it. If there was an emoji for "irony" I would have used it.
Anyway, neither of us know how it went down.
The Crows select/drop like-for-like and won't be selecting Fogarty based on the player he'll be in 2-3 years' time. Right now, Lynch is regarded as a better player. IF he's fit and ready to go he'll run out the whole game for starters and is a key linkman in the team. Fogarty is not as fit, nor as effective as Lynch can be (tbh, I hope Lynch plays a blinder; we need it).
I don't know why Ratkins (2 poor games) and Dmac (post-concussed) have been re-selected, but melting down because the selectors have picked them, or Lynch over Fogarty, won't change anything.
Im not melting, and i don't think it only had to be him or lynch. Surely Mcgovern is either dropped or could be the most flexible player in our team (wing, HB). I have no doubt fog needs a break at some stage but not after 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not melting
Apologies.
I was referring to the meltdown in here, in general. Several posters are rubbishing the club unnecessarily.
It could be player X over Y, player A over B etc, but people need to look at the team as is because that's who'll be playing tomorrow. Likewise, it was him or Lynch, regardless of what we might think.
In: Lynch, Out:Fogarty, and I doubt that it was because Fogarty needed a break, yep, not after 2 games.

Im sure it didn't happen like that but if it did, theres our problem right there, no creativity or flexibility and no thought to form.
So who would you move then ?? This flexibility debate is null and void when the player we've left out is almost the least flexible player we have at this point.

So who would you move then ?? This flexibility debate is null and void when the player we've left out is almost the least flexible player we have at this point.
Mcgovern could have been dropped
Mcgovern could go back milera to wing drop rat.
Mcgovern to wing drop rat.
Lynch to wing drop rat.
Plenty of options.

Thinking about another time we played St Kilda early in the season 9 years ago.

This game.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4255

Anyone remember it? It was at footy park, probably the most biased umpiring I have ever seen in a home and away match. We got nothing from the umpires. 11 frees for, 30 against.

Still filthy.

3 players that played that night will play tomorrow night. Tex, Douglas and Mackay.

Mcgovern could have been dropped
Mcgovern could go back milera to wing drop rat.
Mcgovern to wing drop rat.
Lynch to wing drop rat.
Plenty of options.
McGovern to the wing ?? The only option I would have entertained is dropping him, not moving him elsewhere.

You dont think he could play else where?
I think he'd be a liability elsewhere. He has forward instincts and currently his defensive side is what's lacking. He is horribly out of form.

Apologies.
I was referring to the meltdown in here, in general. Several posters are rubbishing the club unnecessarily.
It could be player X over Y, player A over B etc, but people need to look at the team as is because that's who'll be playing tomorrow. Likewise, it was him or Lynch, regardless of what we might think.
In: Lynch, Out:Fogarty, and I doubt that it was because Fogarty needed a break, yep, not after 2 games.

5 games if you include 2 JLT games and the internal trial.

Id say its his offensive side thats lacking.
Watch him tomorrow night, if his formlines continue he will be ahead of the pill and not offer a 2nd effort.

If we are talking about keeping Fogarty in, which I would have, then Gov goes out.

Watch him tomorrow night, if his formlines continue he will be ahead of the pill and not offer a 2nd effort.

If we are talking about keeping Fogarty in, which I would have, then Gov goes out.
I just feel sorry for the kid, im sure he understands, but deep down when you know you're playing better than a senior player, who's spot you could play, it would be a little frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back