Preview Changes: R3 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

That doesn't sound unusual when Worpel and Wingard missed big chunks of the season

They were already giving plenty of games to Day, Newcombe, Macdonald, Ward, Nash etc. so when a couple of midfielders go down yeah it makes sense they would have to play him for most of the year

They obviously spent the year giving games to young players and identifying who to prioritize in the rebuild and with a couple of first round draft picks to add the following season they ditched Mitchell and O'Meara for nothing

It does when you look at the big picture of Mitchells first year.

His first year of coaching two of his 3 most used midfielders were 28 year old O'Meara and 29 year old Mitchell who obviously he wanted nothing to do with based on what transpired at the end of 2022.

CBA's in 2022

Newcombe - 417
O'Meara - 363
Mitchell - 313

He then offloaded both O'Meara and Mitchell for peanuts (and still paying a bunch of O'Meara's salary) at the end of 2022.

You wouldn't be upset if we won 8 games in 2024 and kept Laird & Crouch in the midfield and then traded them for peanuts at the end of the year?

You wouldn't be upset if we won 8 games in 2024 and kept Laird & Crouch in the midfield and then traded them for peanuts at the end of the year?

Without checking the numbers, we did something similar with Douglas before walking him off the plank. Disconnects between your selection staff and your list management are always bad signs.

Without checking the numbers, we did something similar with Douglas before walking him off the plank.

I think he came into the side Round 20 of 2019 when we were actually sitting in the top 8 so Pyke was trying to make finals.

Disconnects between your selection staff and your list management are always bad signs.

100%.

It's the same thing that pissed me off with what Nicks at the end of 2022 when we played Shaw and Rowe for a bunch of games.

*And before the Rowe/Rankine debate starts (we would have kept Rowe if we didnt land Rankine) - that is just bullocks. We could have kept Rowe over pick 50 or Andrew McPherson if we valued him in the slightest.

Last edited:
Zac Taylor is the mystery to me. We obviously rate him and he has been on the list as long as Rachele and Soligo. I do not understand why Sholl was given a game when Taylor is a proven Sanfl level midfielder. Yes he came back from a long term injury but he did all of pre season and played in the trials. So the question is why isn't Taylor given the chance. What more does he need to do that Sholl doesn't have to? or McHenry?
Good questions. I don't know a lot about Taylor, but Sholl has underperformed so badly Taylor could surely be no worse.
Nicks looks like he is playing favourites. Not a good look for an AFL Head Coach. I just read this:
Taylor is in concussion protocols.
Thanks, mf.
Curtin is another player who could have come in. A tall running defender. could have been an opportunity to expose him. But again we don't. Nankervis and Cook are both running players as well. We have ample options to select from.
General consensus is that Curtin is still underdone from his injury, but I'd have selected Nankervis before McHenry or Murphy.
P.S. I chuckled at this "Gee, I am so glad we re-signed Nicks!".
If we're 1-9 or 0-10 after his premature 2-year extension, maybe he'll resign.

If we had given guys who had barely ever played before like Newcombe (67% CBA rate), Ward (37%) and Nash (43%) significant midfield time like Hawthorn did in 2022 then decided those guys are ready to replace the Mitchell (53%) and O'Meara (61%) types then that would be okay

I'd certainly not be upset at all about delisting those experienced older players or trading them for nothing

It'd be hard to complain about wasting development time on guys that we delisted if we were still actually developing new midfielders like Hawthorn did

And what does that have to do with "Nobody" rating Mitchell. Hawthorn gave him away for nothing - not because nobody rated him, but because they didnt rate him.

Collingwood obviously rated him pretty highly considering he played all 26 games for the premiership team and they voted him their 4th best player in 2023....
And they dropped him round 1 this year

100%.

It's the same thing that pissed me off with what Nicks at the end of 2022 when we played Shaw and Rowe for a bunch of games.

*And before the Rowe/Rankine debate starts (we would have kept Rowe if we didnt land Rankine) - that is just bullocks. We could have kept Rowe over pick 50 or Andrew McPherson if we valued him in the slightest.

I've always assumed sometimes that it reflects a considered need to intervene to stop the coaches playing particular players by taking the decision out of their hands- i.e. if we keep this person around they'll chalk up games and its not in our interests.

Which is bonkers, because how can you operate with such a lack of cohesion.

And yet, when you look at our club being unable to stop selecting Sloane (when fit) and Smith...

And they dropped him round 1 this year

Yeah... Don't rate their 4th best player who played in 26 games in a premiership year.

Nothing to do with an ankle injury.....

Played in round 0 - subbed off. Given week 1 off. Came back week 2 and 3.

But yeah - was dropped because they don't rate him.

Yeah... Don't rate their 4th best player who played in 26 games in a premiership year.

Nothing to do with an ankle injury.....

Played in round 0 - subbed off. Given week 1 off. Came back week 2 and 3.

But yeah - was dropped because they don't rate him.
Did you even read it? He could have played. He didn’t. He wasn’t injured.

Have we? He’s still been pretty rubbish. Just has a lot more mates now.
Milera is another senior adding very little. He’s one of the biggest culprits of why we are so poor atm. A guy with his experience should be taking games by the scruff of the neck. He is an out and out disappointment and an ode to the mediocrity of this football club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always assumed sometimes that it reflects a considered need to intervene to stop the coaches playing particular players by taking the decision out of their hands- i.e. if we keep this person around they'll chalk up games and its not in our interests.

Unfortunately - it almost feels like the Ben Davis games (apologies I wrote Shaw wrongly) were forced from upper management?

I mean the guy played 5 games between 2020 and 2021 under Nicks. Then plays the last 4 rounds of 2022 and gets delisted. Seems to me Nicks wasn't a fan.

To be honest it's a stupid stupid stupid call whether it came from Nicks or Management or both.

Did you even read it? He could have played. He didn’t. He wasn’t injured.

Yeah and I am sure if it was a final against Gold Coast Tex would have played. Doesn't mean he was dropped.

I sure did read the article.... Here is what the premiership coach that obviously doesn't rate the 4th place B&F winner in his premiership side from last year said in round 1:

"We thought let’s give him this game off, get it right and then it won’t be an issue for the rest of the year. "

And surprise surprise he has played the last 2 weeks and was listed in the best players last night with 24 touches, most centre clearances on the ground and 7 tackles.

But Nobody rates him right?!?!

Yeah, I thought same after the Cats rolled us and I looked ahead. The NM game in Hobart is not a certainty. We could be looking at 0-10 :eek: .

Gotta win today but I just can't see it :sadv1:.

Need to hope we've been beaten by 2 top 6 sides rather than sides headed to similar finish to 2023. Losing at home given Cats injuries is a definite negative lead though.

This has been a philosophy for well over a decade.
I think the problem is that the club believes wholeheartedly in continuity but doesn't understand it.

Continuity is good if your team is good. Backing good players in is the right strategy.

Players getting picked regularly because of regular good performances equals wins.

We see teams who have these stable line ups making finals, winning flags. Wow... we need some of that action.

But we've missed the key point.

Continuity with weak links will equal weak results. Bad players will produce bad results.

You need to chop and change a lot in order to find out who deserves continuity.

We don't sift. Just pick the characters we like and pump games into them, then wonder what's going wrong. Must be a mental thing. Can't be poor footballers producing consistently poor results.

I think the problem is that the club believes wholeheartedly in continuity but doesn't understand it.

Continuity is good if your team is good. Backing good players in is the right strategy.

Players getting picked regularly because of regular good performances equals wins.

We see teams who have these stable line ups making finals, winning flags. Wow... we need some of that action.

But we've missed the key point.

Continuity with weak links will equal weak results. Bad players will produce bad results.

You need to chop and change a lot in order to find out who deserves continuity.

We don't sift. Just pick the characters we like and pump games into them, then wonder what's going wrong. Must be a mental thing. Can't be poor footballers producing consistently poor results.

We also place far too much value in outside game performance. Watching players run around cones and execute in training mode carries more weight than watching them fail consistently when the pressure is ratcheted up. And good news, there's always an easy kill a few weeks away as confirmation that our beliefs are spot on.

Yeah and I am sure if it was a final against Gold Coast Tex would have played. Doesn't mean he was dropped.

I sure did read the article.... Here is what the premiership coach that obviously doesn't rate the 4th place B&F winner in his premiership side from last year said in round 1:

"We thought let’s give him this game off, get it right and then it won’t be an issue for the rest of the year. "

And surprise surprise he has played the last 2 weeks and was listed in the best players last night with 24 touches, most centre clearances on the ground and 7 tackles.

But Nobody rates him right?!?!
Sorry you’re right. I’m wrong. Someone rates him. You.

Thanks for proving my point. Dominated the stat count. Not in the best.

Watch the game. Not the fantasy scores.

I really hope he turns a corner today (as I have on many other days) but I have to ask,
does Darcy Fogarty seem like a three year specimen graduated from the Darren Burgess High Performance Footy Factory?!
I'm at a loss as to how he escapes scrutiny seemingly putting in so little effort.
He doesn't appear to have changed body shape, built a tank or improved tackling or goal kicking.
I remember Burgess naming him as someone he was really looking forward to working with when he arrived
& he still occasionally shouts him out as someone to watch out for.
But it's at the point, why use the oxygen... if he's not going to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back