Preview Changes: R3 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigger ground so his running capacity would be suited provided the game is free flowing, interestingly some didn't think he was our "worst" against GCS and was unlucky to be dropped.

So he shouldn’t have played against Gold Coast in the wet but should’ve played vs Geelong when we lacked run and good ball users. What more can we get wrong.

Another team selection and the same old Nicks. I can't wait for the pro Nicks squad to claim its Roo again.

The very definition of stupid is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome.

We are already starting to see how desperate Nicks is to keep his favourites in the side.

This is what should have happened.

Instead of just scapegoating Berry who clearly was not the difference between winning and losing this match, the coaching group should nave taken the opportunity to lay down the law to the entire side. A 0-2 start to the season is salvageable. So why not drop 3-5 players who didn't meet their KPI's and send a message. 'No golden tickets'.

This way players know competition is on for spots. Look, players aren't stupid. They know full well the players who are scapegoated and who is going to get to play next week whether their only disposal is taking a gigantic fart on the football. This won't earn the coaching group any respect. Especially when their only go to is to rotate between Sholl, McHenry, Berry in and out of the side.

I hope we win, but winning is going to come at a cost. Because the very week we lose, he will just bring in an experienced player and scape goat another. I fear we are seriously just going to see a rinse and repeat of last year.

So he shouldn’t have played against Gold Coast in the wet but should’ve played vs Geelong when we lacked run and good ball users. What more can we get wrong.
Adelaide Oval is more narrow compared to Optus which has the same dimension of the MCG but yes his game was more suited to last week.

What reason is there for playing Sholl this week that didn't exist last week?
And that’s the thing, there are no grounds. The excuse we want more run shouldn’t be isolated to this week, why didn’t we want more run last week?

Clearly it’s because we think Berry should be dropped, Soligo in the middle but we can’t even say that. Spin bullshit.

Scholl in for Berry is not a bad choice, Berry is slow and can't handle pressure. Scholl is soft but can give us run and the Perth stadium will suit him. Selection and coaching aside I reckon that Gold Coast match in heavy conditions with a 6 day break took it out of the players and it carried into the Geelong game, lots of our players looked off and lethargic. I've got the feeling we will be on and beat Fremantle.

Scholl in for Berry is not a bad choice, Berry is slow and can't handle pressure. Scholl is soft but can give us run and the Perth stadium will suit him. Selection and coaching aside I reckon that Gold Coast match in heavy conditions with a 6 day break took it out of the players and it carried into the Geelong game, lots of our players looked off and lethargic. I've got the feeling we will be on and beat Fremantle.
Agree. I actually think the changes are good. We cant play all of Berry Crouch Laird in the same side. We looked so slow last week and were missing elite ball users. Of course Scholl is soft hes an outside user. Look at WNM for saints. Their job is to kick the ball not get it.

Think we made these changes to speed up as we did last year.

Looks like last week was all Berry’s fault. Senior’s keeping their spots. Nankervis can’t break in despite two losses and a lack of run. This team is going no where. All players under 21 should seek a trade for the betterment of their careers.

If you don't change anything, then nothing changes.

That's where we are - it'll be a waste of time until we decide to make real change, which is probably a few more losses away - and our season will drift away, and then we'll try and salvage it by making positive changes.

God forbid we made positive changes to improve, now.

Looks like last week was all Berry’s fault. Senior’s keeping their spots. Nankervis can’t break in despite two losses and a lack of run. This team is going no where. All players under 21 should seek a trade for the betterment of their careers.
Did Nank play the last few games last year, I forget? If no was he dropped?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't blame Sholl personally - but said this would happen, the AFC selection merry go round has the 22 and then half a dozen players we just rotate through, regardless of performances.

What's crazy about Smith is he has a game so bad he publicly acknowledges he had to apologise to his teammates. He then follows it up with a game where he makes unforced errors leading to goals again and squibs out of contests and the coaches see absolutely NOTHING wrong with how any of this is proceeding and just stick their heads in the sand and go "Nah, he'll be fine"

Imagine the statement it would've made to deservedly drop Smith on the cusp of his 250th, given the absolute garbage he's served up over the last 2 weeks?

A genuine coach who was ruthless about driving this Club forward to be a contender would've done it without a second thought, and would've been pleased that such an opportunity had presented itself.

Instead, we come out early in the week and kill off any conversation about his place in the side - it is so pissweak.

Look, Berry out was probably needed, he was one of our most fumbly vs the Cats and it’s clear he was affecting our midfield mix, so I’m not complaining about that. It’s our lack of extra creativity in team changes that’s annoying

If we lost by 2 points, i'd argue Berry out, based on his output was a fair and reasonable outcome. But when the team was clearly steamrolled in so many positions its hard to accept Berry is the only warranted change and Sholl is the answer. There is not a chance in hell having Sholl in the side last week would have made a difference to the score-line. I'd even argue it would be worse.

We may very well win and the media will rabbit on about how good we are. But the truth is going to be what we look like after the next 4 games. I'm not even convinced we will beat North Melbourne.

The differences with last year and this year.
1. Even though we lost the first two games we had better form in 2023.
2. We came up against a flat Port Adelaide who we smashed for our first win.
3. This year we came out of the gates flat and have really only strung 2 out of 8 good quarters together.
4. The dockers are certainly not a flat side and have some form after winning their first two games of the season. This wont be an easy game like Port was to find our form.

If we lost by 2 points, i'd argue Berry out, based on his output was a fair and reasonable outcome. But when the team was clearly steamrolled in so many positions its hard to accept Berry is the only warranted change and Sholl is the answer. There is not a chance in hell having Sholl in the side last week would have made a difference to the score-line. I'd even argue it would be worse.

We may very well win and the media will rabbit on about how good we are. But the truth is going to be what we look like after the next 4 games. I'm not even convinced we will beat North Melbourne.

The differences with last year and this year.
1. Even though we lost the first two games we had better form in 2023.
2. We came up against a flat Port Adelaide who we smashed for our first win.
3. This year we came out of the gates flat and have really only strung 2 out of 8 good quarters together.
4. The dockers are certainly not a flat side and have some form after winning their first two games of the season. This wont be an easy game like Port was to find our form.
You missed the point of my post. Berry out was needed, but the minimum outs were still not met, not helped by the ins being, in David King’s words, ‘vanilla’. Our lack of selection creativity is annoying

You missed the point of my post. Berry out was needed, but the minimum outs were still not met, not helped by the ins being, in David King’s words, ‘vanilla’. Our lack of selection creativity is annoying

I get where you were coming from. And yeah Berry didn't earn his spot. This is a rinse and repeat of last year. Nicks is amassing an army of mature age bodies he can use to win enough games for finals. He has clearly thrown development out the door. And as our list profile demonstrates we are going to be fast in trouble again.

We have
26 players under 50 games in a list of 43 players. Just 8 of those have been selected to play against Fremantle. 1 of them is a 28yo who has no business being on our list. We also have 7 players awaiting debut games with no player drafted after 2021 getting games. Zac Taylor is the mystery to me. We obviously rate him and he has been on the list as long as Rachele and Soligo. I do not understand why Sholl was given a game when Taylor is a proven Sanfl level midfielder. Yes he came back from a long term injury but he did all of pre season and played in the trials. So the question is why isn't Taylor given the chance. What more does he need to do that Sholl doesn't have to? or McHenry? Curtin is another player who could have come in. A tall running defender. could have been an opportunity to expose him. But again we don't. Nankervis and Cook are both running players as well. We have ample options to select from.

I get where you were coming from. And yeah Berry didn't earn his spot. This is a rinse and repeat of last year. Nicks is amassing an army of mature age bodies he can use to win enough games for finals. He has clearly thrown development out the door. And as our list profile demonstrates we are going to be fast in trouble again.

We have
26 players under 50 games in a list of 43 players. Just 8 of those have been selected to play against Fremantle. 1 of them is a 28yo who has no business being on our list. We also have 7 players awaiting debut games with no player drafted after 2021 getting games. Zac Taylor is the mystery to me. We obviously rate him and he has been on the list as long as Rachele and Soligo. I do not understand why Sholl was given a game when Taylor is a proven Sanfl level midfielder. Yes he came back from a long term injury but he did all of pre season and played in the trials. So the question is why isn't Taylor given the chance. What more does he need to do that Sholl doesn't have to? or McHenry? Curtin is another player who could have come in. A tall running defender. could have been an opportunity to expose him. But again we don't. Nankervis and Cook are both running players as well. We have ample options to select from.
Taylor is in concussion protocols.

We have
Yeah, Nicks really does have a history of favouring AFL experience. Better not, this year

I’m not worried about Curtin yet, as he needs some time to build some form. Guys like Nank, though… he NEEDS opportunity, right now

For all you guys criticizing selection, what happens if we win this week? Is Nicks vindicated and your theories about selection relegated?

This was exactly what the round 3 thread was like last year too.

Darcy being out for them is a massive advantage for us. I know Jackson has been in great form I think he might not go so well against a brute ruckman that forces things contested all the time tho.

For all you guys criticizing selection, what happens if we win this week? Is Nicks vindicated and your theories about selection relegated?

This was exactly what the round 3 thread was like last year too.

Darcy being out for them is a massive advantage for us. I know Jackson has been in great form I think he might not go so well against a brute ruckman that forces things contested all the time tho.

No, if we go onto make then finals then Nicks was vindicated - if he keeps rotating the same group of players through the team and we don't make finals, then he should be sacked.

Personally I think the most likely outcome at this stage is we are 0-4 within the fortnight.

Wouldn’t want to be going to war alongside Sholly. Very likely the rest of the team feels this way about him. Negatively impacts overall team confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back