Preview Changes: R4 2021 vs North Melbourne

What will the AFC do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We should be looking to give players blocks of games. The 1st year players like Berry & Pedlar need to be managed, so it may well be Pedlar replaces Berry once he is at match fitness & Berry may be needing a rest.

Should also be managing our pressure small forwards like McHenry, Schoey & Murphy. Rowe likely need a break at some stage too.

It's not necessarily about picking the best 22 each week, but managing players over the full season.. with an eye to getting games into our younger players... depending on what they can handle/team balance.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) Nah. Frampton is first player out. I would argue he is the only completely non-AFL standard player we have at the moment in the team.
2) there is a bunch of low hanging fruit thereafter such as Murphy, Kelly, Brown (I have been a huge Brown fan but he is waning massively), Seed.
3) then you move onto the likes of Tom Lynch where the decisions get harder to make.
1) Agree totally. I do not see what Frampton adds to the forward line-up, nor that he has had any useful effect in the last 2 games --- have I missed something, like goal assists, handballs to advantage, shepherding/blocking and other 1%ers? How many, if any, goals have been crumbed from his concrete hands? "He stays out of Tex's way" is no reason to have him in the side.
2) I like Murphy, but he does need to kick more goals as spexau and others said above. Kelly had a good game last week, best for a while. Is his contract up? Brown, am not keen; he's dour and lacks play-creativity. Was a huge Seedsman fan; he does several good things but his clangers/turnovers are dire.
3) I think Lynch cops unfair criticism. Both Seeds and Lynch look like they've lost a yard, or some zip and awareness, reminding me of Sloane's/Tex's drop in output when they were playing injured. Are they carrying niggles/awareness?

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) We should be looking to give players blocks of games.
2) Should also be managing our pressure small forwards like McHenry, Schoey & Murphy. Rowe likely need a break at some stage too.
3) It's not necessarily about picking the best 22 each week, but managing players over the full season..
1) most definitely eg Fogarty has a chance to play a group of games in Sloane's absence. I'd give Thilthorpe 4-6 games ahead of Frampton right now. He could not be any more useless than Frampton.
2) McHenry, Rowe and Murphy need to muscle up (Jones, too). Schoenberg is a tough little nugget and I love his awareness/smarts and delivery.
3) I think they're juggling winning games vs the concept of not picking best-22 to manage the squad. If this is intended to be a rebuild year, a good result would be 8+ wins and I like the idea of getting games into Thilthorpe/Worrell/Pedlar/Hately asap.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Question for everyone here:

Fogarty had five touches and three goals yesterday.

(He really had four goals - Tex blatantly robbed him of one.)

So, hypothetically, if Fog were to get six touches and kick four goals every week (that’s 88 goals for the year), would you take that?

Question for everyone here:

Fogarty had five touches and three goals yesterday.

(He really had four goals - Tex blatantly robbed him of one.)

So, hypothetically, if Fog were to get six touches and kick four goals every week (that’s 88 goals for the year), would you take that?

That presents an impossible scenario, because he's not going to kick 4 goals every week - only 9 forwards in VFL/AFL history have ever averaged that across their career, and the last one of those retired in 2002, nearly twenty years ago. Darcy currently averages 1.2 goals per game. If Billy Frampton kicked 4 goals from 6 touches every week you'd sign him up for 5 years too, but that's just as unrealistic.

In reality he still doesn't do enough without the ball, being treated as a witches hat by the North Melbourne defenders all game whenever they forced a turnover, and isn't doing enough with the ball to compensate. I believe Dunstall said after the game that 3 goals from 5 kicks isn't enough to carry him, and I agree.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
1 Year ago from today we were 3-1 and optimism was high. We then went on to lose 11 of our next 13 games.

With an injury list of only 2 players (Seedsman/Sloane), its an interesting time for old Nicksy.
Without Sloane the average games played drops a whole heap, makes us very young

Back