Preview Changes: R6 2019 vs St Kilda

So you've just started barracking for the crows. Nice to have you on board. Gibbs would need to be in hospital for the club to drop him over a kid.

Ah yes. I do remember Gibbs crippled in the FMC a fortnight ago.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We are likely managing him out of the club. We're good at that.
I doubt it, hes probably going to play this week.

Weve only mismanaged 1 player out of the club and he was too soft to travel to Elizabeth to train

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
You’re still avoiding my question

If Gallucci is being managed, why was he held back last week as an emergency in case of a late mishap.

Are we in the business of having unfit players ready to replace unfit players ?
The only SANFL game Gallucci has even looked half ready to step up to AFL was his last game where he was OK, not great, just OK. Poholke the direct opposite of that and far more deserving of an AFL upgrade than Gallucci at this point in time. To my knowledge Poholke had an uneventful pre-season injury wise Gallucci did not.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
His form barely warrants selection but the coaches clearly want his hard running style

I’d be happier and more persuaded about arguments for why gallucci should be playing that focused on his form, his quality, what he brings etc

Over just what draft pick he was a couple of years back

He's quick, agile, excellent overhead, great ball user, fantastic football smarts, decent goal sense, hard at it and can play in multiple positions.

Last two games he played in the SANFL he's built nicely. I watched the games but in his previous match he had 20 touches and kicked a goal playing on the wing which can be a bit of a graveyard at SANFL level. Is running at 90% disposal efficiency too.

On top of that the one omission we made is a quick, agile wingman with great disposal, so Gallucci fits the bill with those exact traits. Last year he stepped up a notch playing AFL compared to SANFL football, and doesn't get overawed by the occasion. Is a bit of a big game player actually. Has had better AFL matches than Poholke from showing less at SANFL level.

Really like what he brings and it's not just the fact he is a 1st round draft pick

I’d be happier and more persuaded about arguments for why gallucci should be playing that focused on his form, his quality, what he brings etc

4 reasons.

Firstly - the side we've selected is slower, and more inside heavy with us replacing another outside mid with an inside option. Gallucci will mitigate this to a degree. Pace is vital in this game after all.

Secondly - He's got form of being able to step up. He didn't set the SANFL alight last year but was a solid contributor in our side (especially in a role that was not one that historically had much offensive production under pyke)

Thirdly - that'd be two weeks without any game time for Gooch. Atrocious player management, especially for someone we need to be moving into the midfield soon seeing how we've drafted.

Fourthly - Gallucci had a good track record in key moments, especially in the back half of last season where he had made key plays late in game to help us win a few close ones (out marking Bilclavs on a nothing kick in our d50 with a couple of minutes left, bump on Gray to kill Ports last chance as the two off the top of my head, there were a couple more as well). I'd be rushing someone like that back asap.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

I agree, there's little doubt when he's 100% fit and in form he's inside our best 22 but currently on what I've seen of Jordan's SANFL performances thus far this season that's very debatable, that said his last game was better than the previous two matches but hardly dominant.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only SANFL game Gallucci has even looked half ready to step up to AFL was his last game where he was OK, not great, just OK. Poholke the direct opposite of that and far more deserving of an AFL upgrade than Gallucci at this point in time. To my knowledge Poholke had an uneventful pre-season injury wise Gallucci did not.
So if he’s unfit as you’re implying, why was he held back as an emergency?

Or are you still just grumpy we didn’t draft Berry instead of Gallucci?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So if he’s unfit as you’re implying, why was he held back as an emergency?

Or are you still just grumpy we didn’t draft Berry instead of Gallucci?
He's an interesting one (Gooch, not Bicks). He never looks like he's moving overly urgently yet he still gets to contests.

His SANFL games have been like that, like there's something more he can give yet he doesn't often do it.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The mismanagement of Gallucci is more of the normal crap dished up by the Tools and Trolls. Jordan was not AFL ready in 2017. He showed glimpses of his potential in the SANFL but was way behind a top up player called Murphy in output. We still gave him a mercy game in 2017 despite finishing minor premiers.

Jordan had an interrupted preseason in 2018 but was brought into the AFL as soon as he was fit and played every game except when injured. Many of the same Tools and Trolls wingeing about his treatment this year were saying he was a dud draft pick. By the end of the season he was starting to show why he was a first round draft pick although pick 15 isn’t the best hunting groung for future Brownlow Medallists

Unfortunately he had another interrupted preseason this year and he looked awful in the preseason matches. We have been playing him on the wing in the Twos and that is likely to be his spot in the next year or two. I am confident he will be a good AFL player if he can stay fit but any suggestion by the Tools and Trolls that he has been hard done by is ridiculous.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree, there's little doubt when he's 100% fit and in form he's inside our best 22 but currently on what I've seen of Jordan's SANFL performances thus far this season that's very debatable, that said his last game was better than the previous two matches but hardly dominant.
That’s fair enough - but if he needs form and fitness he ain’t getting it sitting in the Chappell Stand

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The mismanagement of Gallucci is more of the normal crap dished up by the Tools and Trolls. Jordan was not AFL ready in 2017. He showed glimpses of his potential in the SANFL but was way behind a top up player called Murphy in output. We still gave him a mercy game in 2017 despite finishing minor premiers.

Jordan had an interrupted preseason in 2018 but was brought into the AFL as soon as he was fit and played every game except when injured. Many of the same Tools and Trolls wingeing about his treatment this year were saying he was a dud draft pick. By the end of the season he was starting to show why he was a first round draft pick although pick 15 isn’t the best hunting groung for future Brownlow Medallists

Unfortunately he had another interrupted preseason this year and he looked awful in the preseason matches. We have been playing him on the wing in the Twos and that is likely to be his spot in the next year or two. I am confident he will be a good AFL player if he can stay fit but any suggestion by the Tools and Trolls that he has been hard done by is ridiculous.
Yes couldn’t agree more - outstanding management.

When selecting an emergency to hold back last Thursday we had 2 options:

1. The player who is close, but supposedly needs a bit more form under the belt in the 2’s or;

2. The player who played in the 1’s the week before but was omitted through no fault of his own and who was otherwise in sparkling form in the 2’s

Which one could least afford a week off watching from the stands? Player 1 of course - outstanding management.

For the record I personally don’t think he needs anymore time in the 2’s, and if you watch them as much as you say you do, you will know he has never dominated the 2’s but always raises his game when promoted.

Last edited:

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
You really need to see Neddy play before making what I suspect is an uneducated call.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/21/johnson-nominates-the-jack-higgins-of-2018-afl-draft/

Fox Footy draft expert Brad Johnson has nominated Ned McHenry as his biggest sleeper of the 2018 AFL draft.

Johnson has compared the small forward to Richmond livewire Jack Higgins, praising his character and attitude.

“I really like Ned McHenry…I think he is the character of the draft, no question,” Johnson told SEN Breakfast.

“He is one that once drafted, he is going to be the Jack Higgins of next year.

“He is one to look out for. Apart from the talent side of things, he is just a good lad.

“He is really honest, so hopefully we get to hear a fair bit from Ned.”

McHenry was the number one tackler at the under-18 championships this past season, while also recording a high kicking efficiency. He is expected to be selected in the early 20s.

Ned doesn't mind the odd fend off!

Back