Preview Changes: R6 2019 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as Poholke was in the SANFL (for a half), we need to replace Milera with a quick outside player with elite disposal. I'd only consider Gallucci, Sholl and Jones for that role.
Has to be Gooch

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In the 5000m and 10000m races at the Olympics you always get a few runners from the nuffy countries who burst out to a lead on the first lap. White guys usually.

Sure, they are 'winning' the race at that stage but inevitably get mown down and finish the race on their hands and knees with their teary dad almost carrying them across the line. About 5 laps behind the winners.

3-1 Gold Coast are one of those runners.

Get the feeling the Saints might be too.
So are the Crows a non “white guy” team.....?

Based on not seeing the game apart from highlights & comments whilst at the beach/pool in Hoi An...

B: Kelly, Talia, Laird
HB: Smith, Keath, Gibbs
C: Knight, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Gallucci, Lynch, Murphy
F: Greenwood, Walker, Betts
R: O'Brien, Sloane, Brouch
I: Mackay, CEY, Jones, Himmelberg

Saints are smaller up forward, so a tall defender needs to go... Hartigan & injured Milera for Gallucci & Jones... then when we need to go taller again, Fog comes in

Knight might be a great runner but he has been an extremely dumb runner of late. He doesn’t seem to be a great reader of play which means he watches and follows a lot to the point where he looks like he’s being lead around on a leash. He does best when he is given one solitary thing to do, like tagging.

I just don’t think he’s a very smart player and when the pressure is on he can’t think through situations to make the right decisions.

Jones is a much better option.

Lynch plays a very taxing game style which relies on him being in peak physical condition. I think he’s definitely past this peak. Our game plan needs to forget about the lynch from the past as it isn’t coming back and it isn’t even his fault, its simply age. If start investing in the future with Fog or Davis and think about a switch to the back lines for lynch. I think he could make a handy mid sized defender as he can mark and run.

As good as Poholke was in the SANFL (for a half), we need to replace Milera with a quick outside player with elite disposal. I'd only consider Gallucci, Sholl and Jones for that role.

Gallucci has been a below average field kick to this point of his career, and Jones certainly isn’t elite in that area either.

Sholl is the man for the job. He’s also zero chance of being selected, so make of that what you will.

I agree that Poholke is not the answer. To any question other than “who should we delist at the end of this season”.

Have been a fan, but he misses the ball too often in the air.
Wouldn't mind seeing what he could do up forward though.
Hartigan has been our least possession-getter in the last 2 games, with contested marking a particular weakness.
So:
Out --- Milera (inj), Hartigan, Lynch
In --- Scholl, Jones, Poholke (the latter forward with time as a mid, changing with BCrouch)
If the selectors bring Jenkins back, they are certifiable.

Last edited:
There's no way Lynch gets dropped but he's definitely the next senior player in the gun. Gooch for Milera and, possibly, Jones for Knight will be the changes. Knight's in a bit of no-man's land as a footballer, I'm not really sure what his role is. Is he a tagger? Half-forward who applies pressure? Non-statistical Matt Wright style role? Regardless, he's a passenger and I'd much prefer to see Jones back in the side. Poholke played well in the first half but we need to replace pace with pace, especially against a fast Saints outfit on the Docklands deck.

In: Gooch, Jones
Out: Milera, Knight

I'm really nervous the selectors will bring JJ back for Berg, even though there's no justification for it whatsoever.

We took care of Gold Coast with all our experienced players getting the job done but I'm not convinced. St Kilda are a better team than Gold Coast and that game is no guarantee for us.

I think Milera is certainly out because of his shoulder and I'm not going to bring back Jenkins that is for sure. Knowing the coach it will probably be 1 change, Milera out Jones in. But I think he needs to explore more options and give somebody who has never played a game for us a go.

Yup, Knight needs a week or two in the SANFL, big time. Just looks very low on confidence right now, which is a big worry as this is one of those type of player/personas that despite not being a star, sides that go deep in finals (I know, it's ahead of ourselves at this point to even be talking about finals, but lets have that eye to the future) tend to have in abundance in their peripheral positions.

The only shame with the Murphy performance is you lose that easy option to bring Stengle in (seeing Jones needs to be prioritised on talent alone), but it's a very minor complaint, because I like someone who's card I've stamped, making me eat humble pie. Of course, if you're determined enough to bring him in, there is always a way.
Campo loves Knight so I'll be shocked if he's omitted.

Did absolutely nothing by foot which is sub-optimal in football.

One of Hartigan or Kelly (preferably both) must go...while we had some improvement due to Smith's BOG performance in addition to Keath, the back half transition still pretty pedestrian.

Saints smaller forward line, therefore Hartigan must go.
TheLeftFist8 : We should select our team based on combating the opposition's strengths

AFC: U having a laugh m8?

Interestingly, Knight covered the most distance at high speed. 2.4ks. No way he is getting dropped .

I would do:
Outs: Milera (inj), hartigan (matchups) , Lynch (flat track bully)

In : gooch, scholl (reward good form) , fog (get games into him)

But what impact did Knight have? Asking seriously - did he tag? If so how did his opponent go?

His production is so low really and has been in the system for ages now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something didn't look quite right about Lynch from my untrained eye. Looks like he's down on fitness or confidence or something. Didn't seem particularly "involved" with the game from a mental POV.

The players today with the most pressure on them to hold their spots were:

CEY - played arguably his best game for the club. He definitely stays in.

Mackay - was pretty good. A couple of standout plays. Stays in.

Murphy - was good. I’m far from convinced that he’ll be able to replicate that game at Marvel Stadium, but He definitely stays.

Knight - wasn’t very good. Very much in the gun now. The Milera injury may save him. Just not really sure what his role is.

Lynch - was awful in the first half. AWFUL. I don’t think we’ll drop him, but far out, his disposal is horrid atm.

Gibbs - serviceable, but disposal not up to par. Stays in.

Himmelberg - nothing spectacular, but solid. Certainly played better than JJ did against South Adelaide which is pretty amusing if you think about it.

Walker - was a monster in the 3rd quarter. Was never going to be dropped, but hopefully he can build on this performance. Confidence player.

Hartigan - he was ok.

Kelly - wasn’t bad. Are there matchups for both Kelly and Hartigan against the mosquito fleet of the Saints though? I’m genuinely concerned about what may happen when the ball hits the deck inside their Fwd 50.

So, what does that all mean? For me, the changes SHOULD be:

Out:
Milera (inj)
Knight (form)
Hartigan (team balance)

In:
Sholl (reward form, plus with all of Milera, Doedee and Brown out there’s a legit need for him across half back)
Gallucci (inject a bit of dash against a speedy Saints side)
Fogarty (liked his game against South, and can play as a genuine swingman with Hartigan out of the backline, and Knight out of the forward line.

Fully aware this won’t happen. We are more likely to see just the one change, with Poholke being rewarded for his one amazing quarter against South, coming in for Milera.
This is the changes I want as well . But also dont believe will happen . Not against Fogarty going forward as well as lot of our goals come from balls off contested mark attempts and lets face it he certainly can pressure on turnovers.

Something didn't look quite right about Lynch from my untrained eye. Looks like he's down on fitness or confidence or something. Didn't seem particularly "involved" with the game from a mental POV.

He was well positioned for the whole match: in everything. However, he was a clanger merchant. You could see him getting more frustrated with his own performance as the match wore on, culminating in his "who cares" when he got a goal in the last. He was very involved mentally in the match, just well down on confidence, and not happy about it.

A little aside on Lynch: in one of the JLTs, the camera did a close-up on our pre-game huddle and it was remarkable that the necks of all of our players were as smooth as babies' bottoms, except for Lynch who had a neck reminiscent of a relief map of the Himalayas! What is going on there? Is it a Ranga thing to have excessive wrinkles at that age? :think:

Lynch seemed to do a heap of running, got plenty and burnt plenty. Got better as the game wore on.

Jenkins won’t come back until we lose and EH stinks it up. Even then he will need to do something to get back.

Do we know how long WMJ is out for?
Seems like it’s at least a month off by the early reports. But as always, they’re waiting on the scans to have better insight.

Hard to see of big changes with a 10+ goal win. Gooch in for Milera might be all.

Lynch had a "nearly" game. Ran to the right spots, got involved in the game and had plenty of touches.

But by and large those touches were woeful. Watching the replay he did do some very good things, however his disposal by foot needs work. Gibbs and JJ got sent to the SANFL on effort, Lynch is bringing that..... just lacking any polish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back