Preview Changes R6 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way, Gaff won't be playing Masten's role, he will be playing his own game on the wing, not worrying about the opposition as much. He will still roll through stoppages as a clearance player (something Masten's role doesn't entail) regardless of if he is starting on a wing, honestly the 6-6-6 rule doesn't change as much as people think.

Vardy is a massive disappointment this year. Hickey still hasn't played a game over 65% TOG for 3 weeks.

Schofield played his first game back in a game we got dominated, in slippery conditions and yes he made some errors but he had a crack at taking the game on as well. I'd give him a pass for the week.

Mastens role is a low production bit role drifting into defensive space.
Not sure we would want gaff to drop his high possession game to take on this role
Our game plan revolves around controlling the ball so are we willing to completely change this plan in a panic response after all we still sit equal second on the ladder
Most teams are still grappling with the new rules and it will take some time to tweak the plan without ditching it and spending a year devising a new one.
Trust Simpson and Co to get it right.

Eagles have just confirmed they are changing the game plan. Same article says Vardy and Oscar Allen are under scrutiny.

INS
Brooksby, Cameron, M Allen
OUTS
Vardy, O Allen, Masten

Out: Masten, Vardy, Ollen, Schofield
In: Waterman, Brooksby, Ah Chee, Rotham

Gaff plays Masto's role, Redden and Sheed go back to their roles from post Gaff suspension. Waterman if his tight hamstring pulls up is a much better runner than Oscar Allen at this stage. Reward Brooksby's good wafl form and make a bit of an example of Vardy's poor form. Schofield out and Rotham in and we play smaller in defence.

Oscar to defense and Schofield out.

I know that isnt great for kids developing but Oscar is years ahead in footy smarts and ability. That or he takes the nd ruck role, I've noticed a few very nice taps to advantage by Oscar.

Mastens role is a low production bit role drifting into defensive space.
Not sure we would want gaff to drop his high possession game to take on this role
Our game plan revolves around controlling the ball so are we willing to completely change this plan in a panic response after all we still sit equal second on the ladder
Most teams are still grappling with the new rules and it will take some time to tweak the plan without ditching it and spending a year devising a new one.
Trust Simpson and Co to get it right.

Masten has a low production role?

I'd like you to educate some of us who must be slow on what Masten's new role is.

Masten drifts into defensive space?

Thought he was a link man between defense and attack.

Regarding trusting us to get it right have we 'got it right' at selection the two games that were wet and slippery this season?

Masten has a low production role?

I'd like you to educate some of us who must be slow on what Masten's new role is.

Masten drifts into defensive space?

Thought he was a link man between defense and attack.

Regarding trusting us to get it right have we 'got it right' at selection the two games that were wet and slippery this season?
Watch a few games at the stadium and you will see that Masten has been used more in the defensive half this season.
Petch is playing more high forward and up on the wing.
Masten starts at the defensive end of the centre square and provides an out as an option out of defence.
He then gut runs to fill space that could be used by the opposition.
Neither of these roles results in high production but is seen as integral to tweaks in the high ball control game plan.
Prior to this season he had a more traditional wing role linking defence to attack. We tend to forget that prior to this season he averaged 21 possessions a game over A 200 game career.
Not bad in anybody’s language.
The fact that he sacrifices his normal attacking game to do the team thing is obviously not appreciated by any but the match committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that he sacrifices his normal attacking game to do the team thing is obviously not appreciated by any but the match committee.
I suspect that some people understand and appreciate what he has provided, but opt to no longer voice their opinions because the subject of Masten has lost all nuance and become ridiculously polarised here, to the point where for me at least it is the single most tiresome thing about the Eagles section of this forum. People don't feel like being labelled Masten Haters or Masten Protectors by those few people who seem to think those are the only 2 categories that exist.

Eagles have just confirmed they are changing the game plan. Same article says Vardy and Oscar Allen are under scrutiny.

INS
Brooksby, Cameron, M Allen
OUTS
Vardy, O Allen, Masten

The article doesn’t confirm the Eagles are changing the game plan, it says that Hurn acknowledged they’d use the nine days to assess the game plan, team balance and selection. It was about as generic a quote as an athlete could give.

Braden Quartermaine doesn’t determine who gets picked, so him saying Allen and Vardy had quiet days doesn’t mean the MC are dropping them (and I say that as someone who has Allen and Vardy out in my changes).

You seriously need help with reading comprehension - you can’t just draw the conclusions you want based on a journos opinion.

Last edited:
So they are assessing the game plan..

Spot the risk/Problem
Assess the situation/Problem
Make the changes to the problem.

I suspect that some people understand and appreciate what he has provided, but opt to no longer voice their opinions because the subject of Masten has lost all nuance and become ridiculously polarised here, to the point where for me at least it is the single most tiresome thing about the Eagles section of this forum. People don't feel like being labelled Masten Haters or Masten Protectors by those few people who seem to think those are the only 2 categories that exist.
There is no place for team play on BF - but masten as a pressure defensive player? All ok if we control the ball

It’s time 😀

E25BE41D-489A-4EA9-85C1-DFCDBBBCAF28.jpeg

In:
Ah Chee
Out:
Vardy

Oscar can maybe pinch hit in the ruck? Give Hickey the lead role. If Vardy stays in, then a rest for Oscar.
Is Venables destined to be a forward at the moment? Maybe he needs to come in, we need pressure and intensity. If so, it’s time for Masten...
If Masten does stay in, we need Gaff to play wing and Sheed on the inside.

Waterman is out a bit longer.

Miguel Sanchez

I will take that bet.. Rioli back in Rd 9 or 10.
Will play a game in WAFL in rd 8 likely i think...

Done.
At least now there’ll be an upside to Rioli missing half the season.

Watch a few games at the stadium and you will see that Masten has been used more in the defensive half this season.
Petch is playing more high forward and up on the wing.
Masten starts at the defensive end of the centre square and provides an out as an option out of defence.
He then gut runs to fill space that could be used by the opposition.
Neither of these roles results in high production but is seen as integral to tweaks in the high ball control game plan.
Prior to this season he had a more traditional wing role linking defence to attack. We tend to forget that prior to this season he averaged 21 possessions a game over A 200 game career.
Not bad in anybody’s language.

I can accept that as unfortunately I dont get to watch games live.

I will say though the role you are describing does not sound at all suited to Masten. Filling up space implies an intercept role either by marking or tackling / pressuring opponents. Masten doesnt have the tools to do that role well. Not great overhead, not a great tackle and not quick.

Franky Watson is who should take on that role, perfect fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back