Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
We had our chance every 6 years to win the premiership but weren't good enough, they took their chance but their supporters had to go through what we are going through right now on multiple occasion throughout their AFL existence.
Not really. They've been poor in consecutive years twice.

13th 14th in 00 and 01.

15th 11th 16th from from 08-10

We've had 4 periods like that, though we didn't go lower than 14th.

You'll find with west coast once they are in the s**t they just go with it. No late season rally racking up meaningless wins where they go from 14th to 10th, weakening the draft position.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
It's not incorrect. It's evidenced by their records. Clarkson is a good coach, Neeld was not. Are you suggesting we can't judge based upon their degree of success. That they got a job makes them good, so every coach that ever became an AFL head coach is rated equally?

Only after the fullness of time .....first 3 seasons
1594353484494.png

What if Clarko was starting now .....getting HAW to 3rd ....then falling away

You will have all the supporting evidence of his flag success ......but if you didn't know which club or Coach was with these numbers ....you'd be saying "time for a new coach"

1594353624609.png

I never thought Bickley could coach .....Sando was questionable, but overall most supporters have been happy with most of the club coaches appointed

Yes, I know assessments are not one dimensional .....it still comes back to having the cattle

The great Tom Haffey, who I regard as one of the best coaches ......he was sacked from two clubs .....didn't mean he couldn't coach

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd say, with a bit of hope, that Hamill plays midfield. Or Laird launches his surface to air missiles from further up the park.

Doesn't matter how high they are when they're crossing the goal line. I have seen Laird hit a couple of low hard passes recently, I just don't get why it's not more common. Could be lack of options resulting in the generic kick to contest. Weakness with only seeing the close in view provided by the telecast. Back in the day there was that feature that allowed you to sekect from a few different viewing options. One pulled out so you basically saw the ball and about 40m surrounding it. I liked watching that view.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not really. They've been poor in consecutive years twice.

13th 14th in 00 and 01.

15th 11th 16th from from 08-10

We've had 4 periods like that, though we didn't go lower than 14th.

You'll find with west coast once they are in the sh*t they just go with it. No late season rally racking up meaningless wins where they go from 14th to 10th, weakening the draft position.
Yeah, that's what I said they finish bottom 2-4 in those years, hence bottoming out which we have never done once.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Doesn't matter how high they are when they're crossing the goal line. I have seen Laird hit a couple of low hard passes recently, I just don't get why it's not more common. Could be lack of options resulting in the generic kick to contest. Weakness with only seeing the close in view provided by the telecast. Back in the day there was that feature that allowed you to sekect from a few different viewing options. One pulled out so you basically saw the ball and about 40m surrounding it. I liked watching that view.
I'd say lack of options is a part of it, but I've always wanted to see him around the centre of the ground.

He can find the ball and generally carries it a distance, it's worth a shot. In saying that, that means Matt moves somewhere else.... And I'm not sure he's capable of that.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
In what possible way have we been more successful than the Eagles?
I never said we've been more successful ......I'm happy to discuss which clubs have been more consistent, I would put an argument forward that bouncing around ladder positions is arguably more frustrating to supporters

1594354555481.png

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Didn't Saunders mention a week or so back that he'd been dealing with a back injury that interrupted his preseason and fitness.

Another case of playing an injured more senior player or an excuse for sh*t form?
I thought the whole point of paying Saunders the big bucks was he was the "load management guru". Doesn't seem to be panning out too well at the moment.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's got 12 games, we've played 5 debutants in 6 weeks. We will fit him in, but as you and DABM rightly point out we are flush with a certain type.

And on the flip side, apart from Gibbs who was consistently dropped last year, we're playing all our senior players except Seed, with Crouch being dropped for a single week. Harto last week, Mackay this, McAsey only in courtesy of Tex injury, we're just as likely to have been juggling towards our preferred 22 with only further strengthening when Tex, Fog, Milera and Rat return. I won't be surprised if the only changes going forward are injury forced or when those guys return after a couple of hitouts in the 2s. Hope you're right and I'm wrong, but it's hard to have happy thoughts when thinking about decisions this club will make.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
History suggests that young teams that are totally clueless are very poor at developing their KIDS. It is always a balance but it has been a long, long time since we had so many inexperienced players in the team.

I believe that Gibbs has been cooked for more than a year so he is number 44 on my list of who to play. Mackay is next because we have plenty of long term options for a half back flank or a spot on the wing. You can mount an argument for playing Hartigan but we have several exciting young tall defenders (Butts, McAsey and Worrall).

I would prefer to give Kelly’s spot to a younger defender but I can (almost) understand why he is getting picked. We had 16 players on our list of 44 who were 25 or older at the start of the year. A combination of injury and poor form means only 10 of these 16 players will suit up on Saturday. If at least half of the team is in the 18 - 24 group then the KIDS will get plenty of opportunities.
I remember a team of young players, with only a couple of well performed seniors, getting pumped every week. They've been in contention the last three years...

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's if you say Flags are the ONLY measurement of success ........it's absolutely not BTW

It absolutely is.

The point of every single season is to win the flag. That is success.

It's the reason teams play. You think they play to build a strong business? A good affiliation with an eSports team?

No.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
And on the flip side, apart from Gibbs who was consistently dropped last year, we're playing all our senior players except Seed, with Crouch being dropped for a single week. Harto last week, Mackay this, McAsey only in courtesy of Tex injury, we're just as likely to have been juggling towards our preferred 22 with only further strengthening when Tex, Fog, Milera and Rat return. I won't be surprised if the only changes going forward are injury forced or when those guys return after a couple of hitouts in the 2s. Hope you're right and I'm wrong, but it's hard to have happy thoughts when thinking about decisions this club will make.
Yeah it's certainly a distinct possibility, but I reckon we will see most of the squad play at least 1 game this year

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I thought the whole point of paying Saunders the big bucks was he was the "load management guru". Doesn't seem to be panning out too well at the moment.
I thought he was brought in to fix the * up caused by the initial implementation of KangaTech and all the soft tissue injuries as result

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

It's a deliberate and fully ingrained culture. Could have the best injury management person going around and we'll still play injured seniors in preference to younger guys.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
It absolutely is.

The point of every single season is to win the flag. That is success.

It's the reason teams play. You think they play to build a strong business? A good affiliation with an eSports team?

No.
Then there's 17 failed teams every season, thoroughly not enjoying their footy .....so I assume you don't enjoy your footy, which begs the question why you watch the games every week ......me thinks you do it to enjoy a weekly win ;)

Back