Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a deliberate and fully ingrained culture. Could have the best injury management person going around and we'll still play injured seniors in preference to younger guys.
Every club currently is having soft tissue injuries ....due to the long layoff and training loads, or lack thereof, the players have had due to Covid

There's defending the club, and then there's suggesting West Coast are less successful than the Crows because they "bounce around the ladder" more
Always the convincing debater Scorpus ......I doubt you have any knowledge of other clubs plights compared to ours

Fancy being a MELB supporter this year .....CD saying they have a top 4 list ....and then the club trades their most potent forward

But you're right ....we are far away the worse club in the AFL .....not

Always the convincing debater Scorpus ......I doubt you have any knowledge of other clubs plights compared to ours

Fancy being a MELB supporter this year .....CD saying they have a top 4 list ....and then the club trades their most potent forward

Yikes... that's a pretty big statement considering where we are sitting as a club right now.

I never said we've been more successful ......I'm happy to discuss which clubs have been more consistent, I would put an argument forward that bouncing around ladder positions is arguably more frustrating to supporters

View attachment 909535
I don't get this. West Coast had a poor season in 2001 but got Judd in the draft. The played finals next season and every season until 2008 (while jagging a flag in the process). They spent 2008-10 down the bottom end of the ladder as the flag team drifted away but, aside from being 13th in 2013, they've been pretty consistent either making the finals or just missing (2014).

Compare that to us:

2005: 3rd
2006: 3rd
2007: 8th
2008: 7th
2009: 5th
2010: 11th
2011: 14th
2012: 3rd
2013: 11th
2014: 10th
2015: 6th
2016: 5th
2017: 2nd
2018:12th
2019: 11th

There isn't much difference in "bouncing around the ladder".

I think you are the only person following AFL that believes we have been more successful than West Coast since 2000

I don't get this. West Coast had a poor season in 2001 but got Judd in the draft. The played finals next season and every season until 2008 (while jagging a flag in the process). They spent 2008-10 down the bottom end of the ladder as the flag team drifted away but, aside from being 13th in 2013, they've been pretty consistent either making the finals or just missing (2014).

Compare that to us:

2005: 3rd
2006: 3rd
2007: 8th
2008: 7th
2009: 5th
2010: 11th
2011: 14th
2012: 3rd
2013: 11th
2014: 10th
2015: 6th
2016: 5th
2017: 2nd
2018:12th
2019: 11th

There isn't much difference in "bouncing around the ladder".
Hence we are "technically" as successful as them without bottoming out but didn't "jag" a few flags which they did (1 point win against Sydney and played Collingwood instead of Richmond) when we had the best change in 2005-06 and 2017.

Hence we are "technically" as successful as them without bottoming out but didn't "jag" a few flags which they did (1 point win against Sydney and played Collingwood instead of Richmond) when we had the best change in 2005-06 and 2017.
You can sugarcoat it anyway you want, but flags are the pinnacle of success and the Eagles have 2 of them this century whereas we have won none.

Yeah it's certainly a distinct possibility, but I reckon we will see most of the squad play at least 1 game this year

That's another disappointment that I thought was behind us. The Davis and Frampton single games. Keays and Crocker had me hopeful as they were both poor, Keays especially, but we gave them a block. Bit disappointed for Crocker, thought he took a decent step forward last week and deserved another go. But Poholke getting only 2 games when he showed some solid signs as a 10 game mid/fwd has dampened that hope somewhat. EH I didn't mind as his selection was structural absurdity to begin with.

Yikes... that's a pretty big statement considering where we are sitting as a club right now.
It's a true statement ......Crows supporters are generally emotionally invested in their own club

But MELB was going to rocket back to the top 4 this season ..... West Coast clearly flag favorites

It's when you fail to reach expectations that supporter rightly get really upset .......we were always touted to be a bottom 8 side this season

People fail to remember what was said in unemotional discussions B4 the season

1. Clubs with young lists would struggle the most this season ......fewer coaches, no crowds, CoVid .....it's obvious the more experienced sides have a maturity to handle these obstacles

Our kids have all these issues, plus reduced training .....still trying to get AFL fit ...still trying to learn a new gameplan

Captain Obvious actually where we are now

2. We said PS, if we are injury free we'd mount a charge to the 8 (precovid) ......but Covid has caused soft tissue injuries and our super thin list is exposed

After getting rid of the experience ....injuries to experienced players is the last thing you need

Again Capt Obvious

Nobody is going to accuse us of tanking. The only senior types not in the side are Gibbs and Knight. Gibbs was dropped 5 times last year when we were gunning for 8th. Knight has been fringe every week following the week after his 2016 elimination final performance. Playing someone purely because they have experience is the dumbest of all the excuses to play crap, injured or out of form players.
I doubt that's the reason why they selected Mackay. It seems to have become a popular belief, after a BF poster saw his name selected yesterday. That doesn't make it true, it just makes it a conspiracy theory.

It's more likely that he's been selected to provide pace, run & carry, and the ability to "break the lines" - none of which has been much in evidence for the previous 4 games. It's doubtful that the move will succeed, but his ability to do this can't possibly be worse than the non-existent abilities of the player(s) he replaces.

It's a true statement ......Crows supporters are generally emotionally invested in their own club

But MELB was going to rocket back to the top 4 this season ..... West Coast clearly flag favorites

It's when you fail to reach expectations that supporter rightly get really upset .......we were always touted to be a bottom 8 side this season

People fail to remember what was said in unemotional discussions B4 the season

1. Clubs with young lists would struggle the most this season ......fewer coaches, no crowds, CoVid .....it's obvious the more experienced sides have a maturity to handle these obstacles

Our kids have all these issues, plus reduced training .....still trying to get AFL fit ...still trying to learn a new gameplan

Captain Obvious actually where we are now

2. We said PS, if we are injury free we'd mount a charge to the 8 (precovid) ......but Covid has caused soft tissue injuries and our super thin list is exposed

After getting rid of the experience ....injuries to experienced players is the last thing you need

Again Capt Obvious
We were mad if we thought we were mounting ANYTHING this year. COVID or no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't jag flags. They won them as we can't. No one jags a flag. Some years the standard is better than others but you still need to go out there and win. Us bottoming out is not nothing to be proud of btw as it demonstrates very clearly for what the club stands for. A club that exists to create jobs for incompetent people and their mates. Not bottoming out merely proves we are too stupid to win a flag.

Last edited:
We were mad if we thought we were mounting ANYTHING this year. COVID or no.
Hence why people should be judging the kids & our development ......it's a fantastic time to be following the Crows

I haven't been this excited watching games since 2018 .......really hoping we can find another David Mackay :p

That's another disappointment that I thought was behind us. The Davis and Frampton single games. Keays and Crocker had me hopeful as they were both poor, Keays especially, but we gave them a block. Bit disappointed for Crocker, thought he took a decent step forward last week and deserved another go. But Poholke getting only 2 games when he showed some solid signs as a 10 game mid/fwd has dampened that hope somewhat. EH I didn't mind as his selection was structural absurdity to begin with.
Poholke dropped was stupid IMO. Not as dumb as bringing Crouch back after a week mind you

I doubt that's the reason why they selected Mackay. It seems to have become a popular belief, after a BF poster saw his name selected yesterday. That doesn't make it true, it just makes it a conspiracy theory.

It's more likely that he's been selected to provide pace, run & carry, and the ability to "break the lines" - none of which has been much in evidence for the previous 4 games. It's doubtful that the move will succeed, but his ability to do this can't possibly be worse than the non-existent abilities of the player(s) he replaces.

As even JIB was capable of pointing out, the only time that Mackay should be selected is when they're seriously considering Gibbs' return. Outside of that, we're better off seeing how nearly every other player on our list goes as a run and carry player. If they dropped Kelly or Brown, I could at least attempt to mount the argument, but that's still ignoring Sholl.

Last edited:
They didn't jag flags. They won them as we can't. No one jags a flag. Some years the standard is better than others but you still need to go out there and win. Us bottoming is not nothing to be proud of btw as it demonstrates very clearly for what the club stands for. A club that exists to create jobs for incompetent people and their mates. Not bottoming merely proves we are too stupid to win a flag.
Not bottoming out and not developing a list to contend for a premiership is what an incompetent club does which the club has never done, our club has been one of the most successful run club up until the camp, that's why the media is giving us sh*t and rightly so as how can such a successful club fall so low with such a stupid decision.....and I don't include the Tippett saga, we were harshly given the penalty for salary "breach" and draft "tramper".

Last edited:
Poholke dropped was stupid IMO. Not as dumb as bringing Crouch back after a week mind you
The Matt Crouch decision was horrid.
With him out we were able to place others in the midfield

Can’t imagine where Poholke mindset would be at. He didn’t really do a whole lot wrong

The Matt Crouch decision was horrid.
With him out we were able to place others in the midfield

Can’t imagine where Poholke mindset would be at. He didn’t really do a whole lot wrong

Just add him to the list of players screwed over to accommodate the Crouch brothers.

Back