Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
He could just not say it though.

Just listening to the presser now and he said that Sloane playing on the wing was to manage his body, not for strategy reasons which is disappointing to hear
That's distressing on multiple fronts

We're determined to play injured older players at all costs still, even though it has been an absolute debacle the last few years that's generated zero positives. They play badly, their injury lingers, the team loses, their reputation is sullied, it prevents us from investing in a younger player, those outside the 22 get frustrated at the lack of faith and it creates a culture of entitlement among our senior players. It's a lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose strategy and it's disappointing that even with Campo and Bird Brain out of the building we're still fully invested in this idiocy.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The problem with us bringing in experience is we had little choice but to bring in Mackay.

Seedsman and Gibbs have been better players over the journey but both have had their attitudes questioned in recent times. The last thing you want in a developing side is poor attitudes, hence they "had" to bring him in.

I'd have left it at 3 changes and kept Poholke in.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The ball spends 80% time in our back half, maybe they are onto something with playing every single defender on our list. Although is reeks of reacting to our midfield sucking rather than improving our midfield.

Scholl just had to come in instead of Mackay, it is a stupid decision and will further infuriate fans more than any other self inflicted board stupidity.
I have made my displeasure re Mackay more than obvious over many, many, many years. I just don’t accept that our coaches are complete idiots and this is part of a conspiracy. I expect that the Eagles will thrash us tomorrow so gifting this game to DMac may not be such a bad thing. It might save Sholl from a less than memorable first match. Perhaps he has a minor injury or he has indicated that he will be heading back to Covid Central next year. I guess only time will tell.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Sholl has to forget about playing good footy in trial matches and just make sure he is a top notch club person and bloke whilst pestering the coach enough for a game. It worked for Hartigan and Mackay why not Sholl?
Going to get hard for Sholl. Even assuming Seed is done, in terms of wings and half backs, he's behind those in tomorrow's 22 plus Rat and Milera. And on top of that, as Spackler posted above, one of them is going to have to play forward because they can't all fit as it is. He's got 12 games to get past 3 players at least plus he needs to make sure his opportunity week doesn't coincide with a poor game or injury himself. Any player that's in now that plays well stays. We're not going to drop Dmac if he gets his 15 touches with a couple of link up runs through the middle. He's in to help us be better, not to give Sholl a couple of extra games to get ready.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Another likely reason is Nicks wanting to see as many players, with his own eyes, performing at the senior level - before he makes career ending decisions at the end of the season.

McPherson and Mackay will be the 32nd and 33rd players used by the Crows this year. That's two more than we used in the entire 2017 season.

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Listened to Nicks press conference today, here are some interesting bits from it:

- Sloane to spend more time in the middle...great. Crouchx2 + Sloane has been a real winner for us lately.
- Dmac is a real solid defender (must have not watched him play AFL yet - see GIF of him vs Melbourne) and will be important to us going forward.

Didn't mind the rest of the stuff about Mcpherson getting a gig, McAsey playing forward and the Stengle inclusion, but the above is a bit of a worry.
He needs to stop listening to the assistant coaches from last year.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Another likely reason is Nicks wanting to see as many players, with his own eyes, performing at the senior level - before he makes career ending decisions at the end of the season.

McPherson and Mackay will be the 32nd and 33rd players used by the Crows this year. That's two more than we used in the entire 2017 season.
come on Vader... I’d say Nicks would’ve seen Mackay play plenty of times over the last decade and especially in recent years...

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just had a realisation that the club probably played as much or more "youth" under Pyke than they do now
McPherson, McHenry, Jones, Fogarty, Hamill, McAsey, Polholke, McAdam, Stengle, Himmelberg have all played in the last 6 rounds.

All these guys would have played less than 20 games at the start of the the year.

Pyke wouldn't have played that many with less than 20 games over his whole tenure

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am dumbfounded that there are still people willing to defend the inclusion of DMAc in our starting 22.. its 2020 ffs, he’s 32, a very ordinary player and we’re bottom and winless.. what is there to gain from this bullshit?..

He shouldve been delisted/retired at the end of 2018 for fu**s sake... he has provided absolutely nothing of any note in the last 2 seasons and has done nothing but clogg up our list, hold back our youth and forced other more promising players (i.e Milera) to play out of position just to accomodate DMacs inclusion in the side..

The club is in the position its currently in due to decisions just like this one in including DMAC this week. And giving DMAC and guys like Douglas and Jerka plenty of games over the youth in 2018/9.

Douglas played around 8 of the worst games of football seen last year before he was finally dropped... 8 ffs!.. thats 8 games of experience that couldve gone to a younger player... all to a bloke everyone with half a brain could see was cooked and wouldnt be there in 2020..

What a complete and utter waste. 8 games lost forever.

DMac Represents everything thats currently wrong with this club whereby we pick “nice guys”, “good lads from good families” and “blokes who train hard” and “the regulars of the crows little ‘boys club’ of veterans” over raw talent, promising youth and rough diamonds.

There was simply no justification for his inclusion in the starting 22 for all the games he played in 2019... including him in this weeks 22 in season 2020 is a just a sick fu**en joke.

At this point I’d rather see a young player like scholl go out there, run around and not get a touch (not that he would, I bet he’d get a fair few) than see DMAC get 10 more of his absolutely mediocre possessions.
Exactly. They say after 50 games played, are youngster has done his apprenticeship and should be ready to impact. We seem to be obsessed with getting players to 50 games as slowly as possible

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Under Pyke, Adelaide typically used ~9/10 players in a season who were in their first 3 years. Many trusted to important roles and/or permanent fixtures in the side.

Adelaide have done the same this year but have reverted to a typical 3 weeks in the team then you are rested, "Everybody gets a turn" policy and only Jones has played all 5 games.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just had a realisation that the club probably played as much or more "youth" under Pyke than they do now
I didn’t realise we ever had a time under Pyke where we had the most players with less than 15 games in the best 22 across the entire league?

Hamill
McPherson
Stengle
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Frampton
McAdam

Keays, Doedee and ROB have less than 40 games under their belt as well. That’s half the team with a combined ~100 games experience in total.

The problem is that the middle aged senior players such as the Crouch’s and Laird are in poor form and putting way too much on the younger players.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Under Pyke, Adelaide typically used ~9/10 players in a season who were in their first 3 years. Many trusted to important roles and/or permanent fixtures in the side.

Adelaide have done the same this year but have reverted to a typical 3 weeks in the team then you are rested, "Everybody gets a turn" policy and only Jones has played all 5 games.
None of that is true.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's distressing on multiple fronts

We're determined to play injured older players at all costs still, even though it has been an absolute debacle the last few years that's generated zero positives. They play badly, their injury lingers, the team loses, their reputation is sullied, it prevents us from investing in a younger player, those outside the 22 get frustrated at the lack of faith and it creates a culture of entitlement among our senior players. It's a lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose strategy and it's disappointing that even with Campo and Bird Brain out of the building we're still fully invested in this idiocy.

As I've been posting, we only employ coaches that align to our football strategy philosophies. You can keep swapping coaches in and out, but they're only replaced by those that are like minded. Organisations don't generally recruit any other way. To get a job you must at least appear on the surface that you'll fit in. Pretty normal stuff. Our footy dept doesn't drive the strategy, they just willingly implement it.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with us bringing in experience is we had little choice but to bring in Mackay.

Seedsman and Gibbs have been better players over the journey but both have had their attitudes questioned in recent times. The last thing you want in a developing side is poor attitudes, hence they "had" to bring him in.

I'd have left it at 3 changes and kept Poholke in.

I will say this, if they were seriously about to grab the Gibbs magnet, I'm glad they went with Mackay. But * me, you couldn't possibly set the bar any lower than that.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
come on Vader... I’d say Nicks would’ve seen Mackay play plenty of times over the last decade and especially in recent years...
Maybe he didn't realise that he was on the ground?

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn’t realise we ever had a time under Pyke where we had the most players with less than 15 games in the best 22 across the entire league?

Hamill
McPherson
Stengle
McAsey
Jones
McHenry
Frampton
McAdam

Keays, Doedee and ROB have less than 40 games under their belt as well. That’s half the team with a combined ~100 games experience in total.

The problem is that the middle aged senior players such as the Crouch’s and Laird are in poor form and putting way too much on the younger players.
None of that is true.
during either 2016 or 2017, the below players were essentially permanent fixtures in the Adelaide side when fit:

Rory Atkins
Riley Knight
Mitch McGovern
Matt Crouch
Charlie Cameron
Jake Lever
Jake Kelly (2017)

They put a good number of games into Milera at the time too.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I've got this vague recollection that 2017 was a bit of an outlier in terms of players used and was almost a record year for playing fewest players by us. If so, weird choice for a comparison, what were the 2018 and 2019 numbers?

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've got this vague recollection that 2017 was a bit of an outlier in terms of players used and was almost a record year for playing fewest players by us. If so, weird choice for a comparison, what were the 2018 and 2019 numbers?
2016 was the record low. 2017 was when the Burton induced injury crisis started but went unnoticed due to form.

Back