Preview Changes: R6 vs Western Bulldogs - Saturday April 23, 1.15pm ACST @ Mars Stadium (Ballarat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good for Hately, gets a chance to show something. We've started to get into the habit of rewarding SANFL form.... But only for injured players. Still, he was the realistic choice.

Feel like we could've made a couple more changes, and slightly surprised/disappointed Hinge wasn't straight back in.

Reckon Hamill will be sub, Rowe should go back to the 2s and get a full game in

I'm not thinking in possession-numbers-terms. I'd like to see Hately:
--- try his guts out
--- tackle hard
--- work hard at intelligent one-%-ers
--- use his disposals to teammates' advantage
and in general do more good, than not.
The only thing is it's a pretty tough ask up against one of the best 2 mids in the comp in your first game of the season.

Tackling pressure sounds great, but they way they flick the ball around, it's hard for anyone to lay a hand on them...and when you do, they throw their arms back and get a free kick.

Good for Hately, gets a chance to show something. We've started to get into the habit of rewarding SANFL form.... But only for injured players. Still, he was the realistic choice.

Feel like we could've made a couple more changes, and slightly surprised/disappointed Hinge wasn't straight back in.

Reckon Hamill will be sub, Rowe should go back to the 2s and get a full game in
It's hard to make too many changes after a solid win last week.

Why are they playing on this tin-pot cow paddock s**t suburban ground?

Life is too short for this.
Is it because we're playing the tin-pot, s**t, suburban team?

Nope.. watch the game again.... half of his disposals put his team mates under pressure where they had to scramble to get the ball out ... his disposal is worse than hartigans.. or any of our previous defenders who lacked skill in kicking which we've had many... he might be the worst ... and that's not even mentioning some very poor decision making...
Smoke some more s**t hippy

Our regional record is not good.
Haven't won in Tassie since 2005
Haven't won in Geelong since 2003
Never won in Ballarat
Never won in Alice Springs (our one game there was a shocker)
Never won in Canberra
1-4 at Carrara in 2020

However, we are unbeaten in Cairns (one game only, thanks to TTs heroics) and Darwin (beating Mel twice under Pyke).

Unless the orientation on Google is slightly skewed, Mars stadium is tilted slightly to the NNE:
Cloudy predicted (no rain), cool day, 14Km/hr SSE wind slightly favouring the N end, but pretty much across the ground.
Apparently the surface is good.
Conditions no excuse, only the disorienting effect of travel there.

Crows' last 3 efforts have been good. The Hately selection is at least based on form and another chance for a rookie.

it's a pretty tough ask up against one of the best 2 mids in the comp in your first game of the season.
I should have said that I have reasonable hopes for the things I mentioned.
He'll be nervous, bound to make an error or two.
I just wanna see effort and good signs Hately'll make it at AFL level (and being given more than one game) :smilev1: .

Our regional record is not good.
Haven't won in Tassie since 2005
Haven't won in Geelong since 2003
Never won in Ballarat
Never won in Alice Springs (our one game there was a shocker)
Never won in Canberra
1-4 at Carrara in 2020

However, we are unbeaten in Cairns (one game only, thanks to TTs heroics) and Darwin (beating Mel twice under Pyke).
I think it's time we supported our regional fans.

Next year, I want to see:

Crows v Dogs in Port Augusta
Crows v Hawks in Port Lincoln (sorry Hawks, all the flights are taken...enjoy the drive!)
Crows v Geelong in Clare
Crows v Melbourne in Murray Bridge (and the freeway just happens to be closed as the AFC bus passes through, meaning the Dees need to go via Devil's Elbow. That brings back some poor childhood memories :sick:)

Last edited:

Crows v Hawks in Port Lincoln (sorry Hawks, all the flights are taken...enjoy the drive!)
Crows v Geelong in Claire
Crows v Melbourne in Murray Bridge (and the freeway just happens to be closed as the AFC bus passes through, meaning the Dees need to go via Devil's Elbow. That brings back some poor childhood memories :sick:)
They better not be our home games you want us to give up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Cooper Pedy match?

I'd like to see vs. Geelong played at Coober Pedy Oval (btw, it's "Clare").

I played some pub cricket on that oval which is dirt'n'rocks, with bindies, bugs, lizards and zillions of flies.
Wickies and slips fielders still dived for catches (no respect for knees/elbows, skin in general).
Bowlers/fieldsman marked their spots with beer cans, or cigarettes, often both.

Would be wonderful watching Flopwood and Dangerflop on that ground.

I'd like to see vs. Geelong played at Coober Pedy Oval (btw, it's "Clare").

I played some pub cricket on that oval which is dirt'n'rocks, with bindies, bugs, lizards and zillions of flies.
Wickies and slips fielders still dived for catches (no respect for knees/elbows, skin in general).
Bowlers/fieldsman marked their spots with beer cans, or cigarettes, often both.

Would be wonderful watching Flopwood and Dangerflop on that ground.
Eastern Park is the worst oval I've played on.

Nope.. watch the game again.... half of his disposals put his team mates under pressure where they had to scramble to get the ball out ... his disposal is worse than hartigans.. or any of our previous defenders who lacked skill in kicking which we've had many... he might be the worst ... and that's not even mentioning some very poor decision making...
That is just plain wrong on so many levels, go watch it again. He had 3 poor disposals by foot/hand out of his 22 possessions. He was the 3rd highest metres gained and spoiled well after the first half of the 1st quarter.

He's still learning but is doing well considering and is worth persisting with.

They had to clean the broken glass off the oval before the game...and IIRC, there was no sand on the pitch either!

Blackfriars' oval (next to the Aquatic Centre) they regularly find syringes on the grass.

With Tim English out you really need to keep an eye on Number 27 for the Dogs - Andre Gianfagna. Cut from the same cloth as Matt Stevic, he can turn the game around faster than the demons midfield. You will have all of 3 nanoseconds to dispose of the footy or it’s holding the ball, and if you breach the 3m Weightman/ naughton exclusion zone you know what will happen. Checkout Cody‘s interview on SEN where he’s boasting about his superpowers in drawing frees. Best of luck, pretty sure all the neutrals are barracking for you guys. 💪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back