Preview Changes: R7 vs St Kilda - Monday 20/7 @ 7pm Adelaide Oval

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Stengle will be fine I reckon. Good combo with McAdam.

A bit rusty and an almost complete lack of supply yesterday makes it hard to judge. The shot at goal was a shocker though

Do people think Murphy will come straight back in?

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

A bit rusty and an almost complete lack of supply yesterday makes it hard to judge. The shot at goal was a shocker though

Stengle was really awful yesterday but agree hard to judge first game back

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

No. Stengle hasn't played a game since round 1 in March. Would give him at least a month. Feel he will hold his spot by then. At lot more problems on the field than Stengle

Last edited:

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
No. Stengle hasn't played a game since August last year. Would give him at least a month. Feel he will hold his spot by then. At lot more problems on the field than Stengle

A shame we don’t still have Eddie around to mentor him. Needs someone to help him develop

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
has he shown anything in 6 career games yet to suggest he’s better than Jared petrenko?

he’ll play more this season obviously to give us more insight but I wont hold my breath.
Stengle has never shown much at all. The only reason he's so highly rated here is because people here decided last year, against all evidence, that Eddie Betts was part of the problem at the Crows and so invented the myth of a talented young player who was being kept out of the side by him.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stengle has never shown much at all. The only reason he's so highly rated here is because people here decided last year, against all evidence, that Eddie Betts was part of the problem at the Crows and so invented the myth of a talented young player who was being kept out of the side by him.

Looked excellent in the preseason. Averaging same as Murphy with 4 blocks of 1 game so far. Madness to rule a line through him.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
My changes...

Out: Kelly, Hartigan, Sloane, M Crouch

In: Sholl, Butts, Seedsman, Schoenberg

My reasons...

Kelly just isn’t the right fit in a defensive unit containing Talia, Hartigan (or whoever inevitably replaces Hartigan), Doedee and Brown. If one of the other 4 was injured, I can deal with Kelly being in. We need a more dynamic player in this role when those others are in the side though. Enter Sholl. McPherson is also back there and may even officially take the “Kelly role” if Sholl comes into the side.

Hartigan isn’t AFL standard, full stop. With McAsey required up forward due to the Tex and Fogarty injuries (and Himmelberg’s regression to the delist pile), Butts has earned a debut. If we don’t see if Butts has what it takes at the top level soon, how can we make any kind of informed list management call on his future? Talia isn’t getting any younger, and Hartigan is garbage. Sure, we have McAsey, but we need to find out what else we have here in terms of tall defenders. I think Worrell’s future is more likely to be at the other end of the ground, or even on a wing.

Sloane looks horrible, and it sounds like he’s broken his hand now. Time to put him on ice for a month or so. Seedsman earns a recall, and needs to focus on a combination of intensity and utilising his excellent foot skills in order to nail his spot in the team down again. He’s an asset when he’s up and going.

M Crouch probably won’t actually get dropped, but far out, the stat padding / pointless calling for the ball in inferior positions and then turning it over once he receives it has reached unforeseen levels. I would bin him for a month and throw Schoenberg, who I personally believe is the most talented youngster on our list, into the fray.

Mackay probably gets 1 more game, purely because making more than 4 changes isn’t ever realistic, and he wasn’t as terrible as some others against WCE (high praise indeed!). When I say 1 more game, I mean 1 more game EVER. I certainly wouldn’t be upset if he was dropped this week though. Picking him over Sholl was bizarre.

If McAdam (ankle) doesn’t get up, Crocker and Davis are both options (preferably Davis), but it realistically would mean one of the other “outs” would survive and McHenry would likely play exclusively up forward. If we bring Murphy back I’ll puke.

Surprised so many people want Davis in the side. I hope I'm wrong but I'm yet to see him do a single thing that suggest he's an AFL quality player. Our youth are better than many believe, but Davis is not one to focus on.

I reckon he showed a thing or two against Sydney that may have indicated he had a future.

Still, we're at the point we can answer that question with a block of games, so may as well.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So that's what people are saying? Just drop David Mackay?

Or drop Mackay, Kelly, Matt Crouch, Sloane, Hartigan, Laird and Lynch?

Be realistic about what people are posting.

I'm happy for changes, but I know this forum will be inundated with people bitching when we lose by 15 goals.
Could not agree more as lot of posters just naming most of our experienced players and bringing in untried kids .
Where one of problems is these kids not in AFL not getting real games .
If want to give someone like Shoenberhg a go then bring him in place of McHenry who not touching ball and maybe Scholl for Kelly who not generating anything. Like idea of trying Sloane up forward. Will Nicks be courageous to drop M Crouch again

slice

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2008
Malbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could not agree more as lot of posters just naming most of our experienced players and bringing in untried kids .
Where one of problems is these kids not in AFL not getting real games .
If want to give someone like Shoenberhg a go then bring him in place of McHenry who not touching ball and maybe Scholl for Kelly who not generating anything. Like idea of trying Sloane up forward. Will Nicks be courageous to drop M Crouch again

I want the experienced players dropped because they’re actively making us worse like Lynch and Laird

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
I want the experienced players dropped because they’re actively making us worse like Lynch and Laird

Lynch has been ok at times at least. Useful to have one guy over 20 games played in the forwards. Laird definitely needs a spell though.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon he showed a thing or two against Sydney that may have indicated he had a future.

Still, we're at the point we can answer that question with a block of games, so may as well.

I think Davis and McAdam are competing for the same x-factor forward spot. Not sure Davis comes into the team while McAdam is there?

Hugh Jass

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2007
Funky town
AFL Club
Adelaide
has he shown anything in 6 career games yet to suggest he’s better than Jared petrenko?

he’ll play more this season obviously to give us more insight but I wont hold my breath.
Bit harsh? He's shown he can consistently threat the scoreboard which is more than you could say for Petrenko.

I think Davis and McAdam are competing for the same x-factor forward spot. Not sure Davis comes into the team while McAdam is there?
Imo, there is room for more than 1 player with x factor. Also, Davis can have stints on a wing. Couldn't be worse than a wounded Sloane...

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imo, there is room for more than 1 player with x factor. Also, Davis can have stints on a wing. Couldn't be worse than a wounded Sloane...

Sloane playing injured shits me to tears. I don't understand how the club captain can be happy dishing that crap up while denying another player the opportunity to play. It's a campaigner act.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Sloane playing injured shits me to tears. I don't understand how the club captain can be happy dishing that crap up while denying another player the opportunity to play. It's a campaigner act.
I get that he wants to lead and show the kids you can play hurt, but sometimes leadership is admitting you're not up for the fight for a couple of weeks.

Back