Preview Changes: R7 vs St Kilda - Monday 20/7 @ 7pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you seem to have extremely high expectations on first or second year draftees, not everyone is a Rowell. Even Noah Anderson isn’t exactly setting the world alight just yet.
Damn straight. Was just having a look through old footy statistics and it seems that some no hoper called Nick Riewoldt got less than 10 touches and 4 marks a game in his first season... and he only kicked 2 goals in his first six games. Dud. Delist.

And another guy called Andrew McLeod who was supposed to be a midfielder/flanker only averaged 10 disposals a game for the first 30-40 games of his career. What a waste of time and effort those games were. Dud. Delist.

Note: I am obviously not saying that all players, if given enough time and games, will develop into guns. But not every gun hits the ground running. Give the young guys a break. Also, going early and claiming player x isn’t going to make it doesn’t make you a genius if they ultimately don’t work out. The truth is that the majority of players who are not top ten picks don’t become even decent AFL players. Most don’t make it.

In that vein, I preemptively predict that all of the players from next years draft will be spuds who don’t make it at the highest level... none of them will play 50+ games and most won’t get to 10. Given I am likely to be 90% correct, I hereby anoint myself talent spotter extraordinaire.

Damn straight. Was just having a look through old footy statistics and it seems that some no hoper called Nick Riewoldt got less than 10 touches and 4 marks a game in his first season... and he only kicked 2 goals in his first six games. Dud. Delist.

And another guy called Andrew McLeod who was supposed to be a midfielder/flanker only averaged 10 disposals a game for the first 30-40 games of his career. What a waste of time and effort those games were. Dud. Delist.

Note: I am obviously not saying that all players, if given enough time and games, will develop into guns. But not every gun hits the ground running. Give the young guys a break. Also, going early and claiming player x isn’t going to make it doesn’t make you a genius if they ultimately don’t work out. The truth is that the majority of players who are not top ten picks don’t become even decent AFL players. Most don’t make it.

In that vein, I preemptively predict that all of the players from next years draft will be spuds who don’t make it at the highest level... none of them will play 50+ games and most won’t get to 10. Given I am likely to be 90% correct, I hereby anoint myself talent spotter extraordinaire.
Wow, all that because I’m hoping to see Ned McHenry take a step up after a month and a half of footy in the seniors.

I even prefaced it by saying I wasn’t expecting him to have a breakout or anything like that, just a step forward.

Seems like a bit of an overreaction

Wow, all that because I’m hoping to see Ned McHenry take a step up after a month and a half of footy in the seniors.

I even prefaced it by saying I wasn’t expecting him to have a breakout or anything like that, just a step forward.

I don't think you can expect a lot more of a small forward outside of 10 touches around the 75% mark. Especially when we're averaging league worst inside 50 numbers. It's what you see at times within those touches that matter.

Sorry, it was probably a build up from other posters writing off our younger players like McHenry and Jones especially because they aren’t dominating games yet. Chayce is definitely showing more and more each week he plays this season, a full game performance can’t be too far off. Ned is definitely tracking a little slower but as many have said, it’s not an easy team to play well in right now.

I don't think you can expect a lot more of a small forward outside of 10 touches around the 75% mark. Especially when we're averaging league worst inside 50 numbers. It's what you see at times within those touches that matter.
Spot on, I’m just wanting a bit more quality touches, and maybe a few less errors.

I’m not expecting Gil to read his name on Brownlow night. But just some signs of growth

Listening to Clarke on 5AA last night:

Butts is performing well across half back and has been the most consistent standout of the younger players during the scratch matches so far. Could he come in for Kelly?

Schoenberg, O’Connor and Sholl are still all learning their craft through the midfield. Didn’t seem like they were overly close yet.

Rowey was obsessed over talking about Gibbs non selection so there wasn’t much else talked about with the younger brigade which was disappointing.

I also listened to Tredrea and found it interesting when he praised the performance of the Crouch brothers over the last couple of weeks, is he watching the same games?! Usually he is happy to highlight underperforming senior players so just found this point particularly odd.

Sorry, it was probably a build up from other posters writing off our younger players like McHenry and Jones especially because they aren’t dominating games yet. Chayce is definitely showing more and more each week he plays this season, a full game performance can’t be too far off. Ned is definitely tracking a little slower but as many have said, it’s not an easy team to play well in right now.
All good, and for the record I 100% agree with your sentiment. The impatience in here is insufferable at times. A lot of same posters desperate to play the youth are the first to can young players for being 'not AFL standard'.

Personally i'm just looking for baby steps each week with the occasional decent step forward from each young player. That to me is a a reasonable expectation.

I’m not looking for much more, a bit cleaner, a bit more ball in space. Just some positive signs that’s he’s picking up the pace of it and learning the correct running patterns required.

I’m not expecting a BOG performance

Agreed I haven't seen too much to get excited about. Just want some glimpses at least especially given who was taken after him.

Listening to Clarke on 5AA last night:

Butts is performing well across half back and has been the most consistent standout of the younger players during the scratch matches so far. Could he come in for Kelly?

Schoenberg, O’Connor and Sholl are still all learning their craft through the midfield. Didn’t seem like they were overly close yet.

Rowey was obsessed over talking about Gibbs non selection so there wasn’t much else talked about with the younger brigade which was disappointing.

I also listened to Tredrea and found it interesting when he praised the performance of the Crouch brothers over the last couple of weeks, is he watching the same games?! Usually he is happy to highlight underperforming senior players so just found this point particularly odd.

Why can't Sholl get past Kelly for a backline role. Is the SANFL midfield a better place to develop into an AFL midfielder than an AFL backline. It sounds like they've locked in their preferred back line and decided if Sholl is to get a game, it's not going to be an unforced change into our backline. Advertiser article on Gibbs today, he's likely to return to keep the experience level as high as possible.

I think this follows the same discussion we had last night.

Such is the gaping cavity that is our midfield and midfield depth, we desperately need all hands on deck in terms of auditioning for a spot in the rotation.

Im hopeful Ned and Hamill will both find a way to push up into the mid rotation.
Hamill will end up a wingman IMO.

Pretty pissed that I got text message 5 mins until 5 saying I have 5 minutes to register for the ticket ballot and then when I did it they said there wasn't enough tickets to accommodate the request.

I wanted to go to this game so badly to support our club and our team and as members we're so poorly communicated with that no one bloody knows what the hell is going on, I've had 3 family members ring saying they're having the same issues.
I have received like 4 emails from the club re the ballot.... and then a reminder saying it's open now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird should cop it for some of his performances earlier in the season but was fine today especially playing a different role to accomodate McPherson down back, he put in some decent effort today and actually showed some stuff that’s been missing in his game.

Others to go before him especially Jake Kelly who just s***s me.

Kelly man on man is generally ok. However his game has no rebound or linking. It just stops. Ball in hand witches hat. And he has a couple of mates down back as well.

And I will say that I think he will do just that, the last couple of games he seems to be less panic and more composure from him. What he is now doing has more impact and I think he is adjusting nicely. It would be nice for a gun breakout game I am happy with the progress and can see him starting to move higher up the ground more often.

Milera needs to be given a large chunk of games playing as a full time mid imo
Yes, I think his ceiling is massive but he needs consistency. If he gets it all together as a mid our forwards will look so much better, he has some of the sweetest F50 entries since Bungi.

And I will say that I think he will do just that, the last couple of games he seems to be less panic and more composure from him. What he is now doing has more impact and I think he is adjusting nicely. It would be nice for a gun breakout game I am happy with the progress and can see him starting to move higher up the ground more often.
And that's all i'm looking for. He's had some time to get acclimatized, now show me some flashes of cleaner, and more penetrating footy. Even if his output stays the same but he does that then i'll be a happy camper.

And that's all i'm looking for. He's had some time to get acclimatized, now show me some flashes of cleaner, and more penetrating footy. Even if his output stays the same but he does that then i'll be a happy camper.
I also wouldn't mind seeing him giving Keays a chop out on the tagging role of the oppo gun. He has the mind set defensively but I think it could be a good learning for him to follow the best, he comes across to me as one of those kids that you love to coach, a sponge, just soaks it up.

Callum Twomey today...
“Adelaide Crows-
After another dispiriting loss last week to West Coast, the winless Crows face more selection issues with captain Rory Sloane ruled out for at least a month after undergoing hand surgery. His replacement isn't obvious, although Paul Seedsman could return after being named an emergency last week. Lachie Murphy has served his one-game suspension so is available and seems likely to get a recall, while Myles Poholke will also be in contention.

Verdict: Seedsman to come back to add some experience to the Crows' midfield in lieu of Sloane, while Murphy should return, potentially at the expense of Shane McAdam or Tyson Stengle, who were both quiet last week.”

- Callum Twomey./end quote

Do these *******s actually watch our games before they write this shite?..

“Murphy should return at the expense of”..

what?... because Stengle and McAdam were quiet last week?

Murphy has been “quiet” for the entire 30 *in games he’s played for christs sake.

Why would you drop McAdam or Stengle for Murphy?.. murphy has shown bugger all in his 30 or so games.. all he’s proven is that he can apply tackling pressure here and there.. but no pressure of any sort on the scoreboard.. he’s simply not AFL standard.

Callum Twomey today...
“Adelaide Crows-
After another dispiriting loss last week to West Coast, the winless Crows face more selection issues with captain Rory Sloane ruled out for at least a month after undergoing hand surgery. His replacement isn't obvious, although Paul Seedsman could return after being named an emergency last week. Lachie Murphy has served his one-game suspension so is available and seems likely to get a recall, while Myles Poholke will also be in contention.

Verdict: Seedsman to come back to add some experience to the Crows' midfield in lieu of Sloane, while Murphy should return, potentially at the expense of Shane McAdam or Tyson Stengle, who were both quiet last week.”

Do these *******s actually watch our games before they write this sh*te?..

Murphy has been “quiet” for the entire 30 fu**in games he’s played for christs sake.

Why would you drop McAdam or Stengle for Murphy?.. murphy has shown bugger all in his 30 or so games.. all he’s proven is that he can apply tackling pressure here and there.. but no pressure of any sort on the scoreboard.. he’s simply not AFL standard.

They're playing the numbers. On the balance of probabilities they're probably right. Matt Turner in the advertiser has Gibbs returning.

Murphy in for Stengle or McAdam is 50:50
Tex in is certain now his hand is publicly up
Gibbs or Seed in for Sloane is likely
Rat

The absolute best we can hope for is an internal shuffle with Tex in go replace Sloane and no kids getting dropped. Thinking otherwise is delusional. We might see Rat for Mackay, but Rat probably gets a tune up in the 2s. Assuming there is one.

But don't rule out the full assault.
Murphy for McAdam
Tex for McCasey
Seed/Gibbs for Sloane
Rat for McPherson, but that's unlikely I think.

They're playing the numbers. On the balance of probabilities they're probably right. Matt Turner in the advertiser has Gibbs returning.

Murphy in for Stengle or McAdam is 50:50
Tex in is certain now his hand is publicly up
Gibbs or Seed in for Sloane is likely
Rat

The absolute best we can hope for is an internal shuffle with Tex in go replace Sloane and no kids getting dropped. Thinking otherwise is delusional. We might see Rat for Mackay, but Rat probably gets a tune up in the 2s. Assuming there is one.

But don't rule out the full assault.
Murphy for McAdam
Tex for McCasey
Seed/Gibbs for Sloane
Rat for McPherson, but that's unlikely I think.
its totally ****ed... but i must say I share your thoughts... you cant put it past these arse backward idiots to actually do exactly what you’ve written here...

Verdict: Seedsman to come back to add some experience to the Crows' midfield in lieu of Sloane, while Murphy should return, potentially at the expense of Shane McAdam or Tyson Stengle, who were both quiet last week. - Callum Twomey These AFL writers are pretty clueless or downright EVIL!

Verdict: Seedsman to come back to add some experience to the Crows' midfield in lieu of Sloane, while Murphy should return, potentially at the expense of Shane McAdam or Tyson Stengle, who were both quiet last week. - Callum Twomey These AFL writers are pretty clueless or downright EVIL!

I'd say both.

Callum Twomey today...
“Adelaide Crows-

Do these *******s actually watch our games before they write this sh*te?..

Murphy has been “quiet” for the entire 30 fu**in games he’s played for christs sake.

Well as I highlighted above, Tredrea said on 5AA last night that the Crouch’s have been playing well together since Matt’s return to the side, are they seeing something that we aren’t?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back