Preview Changes: R9 2019 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be a good thing in the long run to give Matt a rest. Has looked pretty beaten up by the end of the season last few years.

I expect Brad to get 40+ though without his brother getting in the way.

Zac Williams averaged 20+ possessions this year as well as the previous three.

And Nick Haynes is a key defender! Why don’t you compare DMac’s possessions against Talia while you are at it.
Try not too look at is as comparing players to DMAC mate, more a cluster of players that have similar possession counts, and do their role for their side without being spectacular or AA types. The argument was never about position.

And I agree, Zac Williams is a bad example. I admit I went too early looking at his career average!

Mature body out, mature body in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No point having a mature body if you refuse to get within 10m of another player. Gibbs in 2019 makes Atkins look like Sloane.

I would love to have Gibbs back to his best - it would significantly strengthen our team. But there is nothing in his 2019 form to warrant selection. Nothing. He has been atrocious. In fact I would say he has been the least effective player we have had this year. Knight could and should be pissed that he is out of the team, but Gibbs gets straight back in.

The only thing I fear about Brisbane is speed and running ability. I would have had Knight on Zorko through the midfield.I fear we will be caught out for being too slow. I hope I'm wrong.

Gibbs was average for us last year. 12th in the B&F on votes per game.

While he did come 11th on votes per game, he was our 4th best midfielder behind M. Crouch, Sloane and Milera. The others above him were Laird, Keath (6 games), Smith (2 games), Jenkins, Otten (8 games), Doedee and Talia

No point having a mature body if you refuse to get within 10m of another player. Gibbs in 2019 makes Atkins look like Sloane.

I would love to have Gibbs back to his best - it would significantly strengthen our team. But there is nothing in his 2019 form to warrant selection. Nothing. He has been atrocious. In fact I would say he has been the least effective player we have had this year. Knight could and should be pissed that he is out of the team, but Gibbs gets straight back in.

The only thing I fear about Brisbane is speed and running ability. I would have had Knight on Zorko through the midfield.I fear we will be caught out for being too slow. I hope I'm wrong.
Whilst I cant defend Gibbs, he has been terrible, I can see why he us in the side ahead of Poholke.

It is the speed you are talking about.

IF Gibbs reverts back to any decent form, playing his preferred midfield role, his quickness is better than Poholke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its because there is a midfield role available, he's basically been on the periphery all year, half forward, back. Give him a game in the midfield knowing his career is potentially on the line and see what he can do. He was very good for us last year in the middle.

His career his hardly on the line. He's contracted for 2 more years after this one, and is pretty unlikely to go on past that age anyway. He's in a can't lose position.

But yeah, I'm happy to pick him this week and get him into the midfield where he belongs rather than across half-back. I'm not sure if his malaise this year has been due to being played there instead of in the middle or something else, but hopefully a return to his usual role will see an uplift in form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL game is on delay of FTA and live on Foxtel. All part of the softening up for the future when we lose FTA completely.
Any chance that the sanfl showdown is on live then, followed by the delayed AFL telecast?

That'd be a splendid afternoon/evening.

Edit,: Yep double header, you beauty.

I think one of the key matchups for me this week will be if we can isolate the Big Easy on Harris Andrews. Mainly so we can avoid Tex getting blanketed by Andrews, (who I rate as a lock down tall defender as highly as anyone in the league).

I think if we can get the taller Berg to scrap and fight and half the contest against him he will have a far less impact on the game, and potentially free up Tex to get off the chain.

I think one of the key matchups for me this week will be if we can isolate the Big Easy on Harris Andrews. Mainly so we can avoid Tex getting blanketed by Andrews, (who I rate as a lock down tall defender as highly as anyone in the league).

I think if we can get the taller Berg to scrap and fight and half the contest against him he will have a far less impact on the game, and potentially free up Tex to get off the chain.
They have KPD match ups to really trouble our tall forwards this week. I expect Lynch to cope but Andrews could blanket Walker and Himmelberg will need to run extremely hard to out work his direct opponent.

They have KPD match ups to really trouble our tall forwards this week. I expect Lynch to cope but Andrews could blanket Walker and Himmelberg will need to run extremely hard to out work his direct opponent.
If Walker has Andrews an a direct opponent I suspect he will look to play him quite high up the ground. Playing him close to goal would be a very tough assignment.

That was never the point.. When did I mention position or game count or whether or not they could or could not be dropped? You added those parameters not me!

My point was always that there are solid players that do their role without lighting up the stats sheet or polling votes! Like DMAC. And just because they dont light up the stat sheet or poll votes doesn't make them bad players. It just means they play their role, and don't deserve to be marked down because they are not in the echelon of the top shelf A graders
You mean like Riley Knight?

Gibbs was average for us last year. 12th in the B&F on votes per game.

Last year I thought he was a lot better than the B&F results showed.
This year, he has been mainly poor. Needs to be kicking more aggressively and taking the game on, instead of going for the easy option

Just got some mail, apparently Smith is sore as well and is in doubt

Why don’t you compare DMac’s possessions against Talia while you are at it.

Because Dmac would lose?

His career his hardly on the line. He's contracted for 2 more years after this one, and is pretty unlikely to go on past that age anyway. He's in a can't lose position.

But yeah, I'm happy to pick him this week and get him into the midfield where he belongs rather than across half-back. I'm not sure if his malaise this year has been due to being played there instead of in the middle or something else, but hopefully a return to his usual role will see an uplift in form.

I thought he was being played at half back because his form in the middle was poor, so they moved him back where he played well for Carlton and CEY filled the gap

Either way he needs to play well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back