Preview Changes: R9 2019 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

There are realistically only 3 players even being considered to come in this week: Gibbs, Seedsman and Jones.

I’d love to say McHenry is also in the mix because I think he’s the best candidate to take Gallucci’s role, but he wasn’t even an emergency against Port and is clearly behind both of Gibbs and Jones in the pecking order for whatever reason.

If Jenkins is even in contention we are taking the piss.

Fogarty needs a KPP injury to occur to come in.

Matt Crouch (injury), Gallucci and Knight are the only 3 potential outs.

It looks more likely than not that Seed will play one game in the SANFL before replacing Knight or Mackay (or Gallucci if he somehow survives this week) in the AFL side.

It also seems very likely that Knight will hold his spot.

Therefore, if Crouch is passed fit, you’d think we’ll probably see Gibbs or Jones come in for Gallucci as the only change.

I’d pick Jones out of those two. Means everyone else who played against Port can remain in the same role, and I’m very confident that Jones will outproduce Gallucci at half forward in pretty much every measurable way.

If we select Gibbs, it means shuffling some deck chairs around because Gibbs on the same half forward line as Lynch and Tex = a hard no from me due to lack of defensive pressure once the ball hits the deck. That’s the number one thing we need from a forward flanker in this current setup IMO.

Gibbs has looked horrendous in defense and the rest of our defense is looking pretty great right now. No thanks.

Gibbs on a wing might work. But who moves to half forward to accommodate this? Doesn’t appear to be a logical candidate. Atkins or Mackay at half forward = no thanks.

Last year, Gibbs played some great footy as an inside mid. With Brad back, and with the amazing form of CEY, he simply can’t get a gig in there without an injury. Not happening unless M Crouch is ruled out.

To summarise, I don’t think it makes much sense to select Gibbs if Crouch is fit to play. Just like it didn’t make much sense to select Poholke against the Saints.

I’d bank on it happening 🥴

Apart from the bulldogs the most any premiership team used in players was 35 the average is 33 for a premiership team in the history of the AFL

We have two more to go maybe stengle and Mchenry doesn't look like we should try Wilson and Mcadam or it goes against percentages
It’s association not causation. If you use less players it means that 1. You have less injuries to cover and 2. Your regular players maintain good form.
Injuries and form loss are not conducive to winning a flag, and using more players is a consequence of this not a cause. Continuing to play injured players or players in poor form will keep your turnover low but is hardly going to win you a flag.

So am I alone in thinking we are a much better side without Gibbs? More than happy to write the trade off as a **** up in hindsight and leave him out.
He should not be picked because of how much the club mistakenly gave up for him. That is pure stupidity. His form doesn't warrant selection and if he is included over form players then match committee are tempting fate.

I just watched the Showdown again and

1) It was much more fun watching the game with the knowledge that we wouldn’t blow an 8 goal lead.
2) Atkins played very well. His positioning as the link man out of defence was excellent.
3) Mackay also played a good game. Atkins and Mackay’s positions on the wing are safe until The Seed returns.
4) The stats don’t adequately describe the contributions of ROB and The Berg. Safe as houses.
5) Hartigan and Kelly have improved dramatically in recent weeks (but still stress me out when they chip the ball). They stay for now but Kelly will be under pressure when The Wayne returns.
6) CEY is going nowhere.
7) Riley Knight spent time on the wing when The Rat and BNM were resting. He play the role well and provided good pressure plus two goals as a forward. I will be very surprised if he is dropped.
8) I wouldn’t complain if Eddie is given a week off but he still did some handy things. He might want to check out Charlie’s progress and demonstrate that he is still the Man.
9) Murphy has been getting better and better, the Kids in the Twos will have to wait.

So.... if Mrouch is good to go then IMHO the only player under pressure is Gallucci. I would not drop him to bring back Gibbsy. He is showing flashes but has to do more. Possibly swap him for Jones or McHenry but I suspect they will get their chance when inevitably more injuries arise.

No Changes

The good news is the stability of our team over the last month. Since we beat Gold Coast in round 5 - we made 2 changes for week 6, 1 change for week 7, 1 change for week 8 and hopefully at most - 2 changes for week 9.

Continuity in a side is vastly underrated. Have a look at the recent years we made a prelim - 05/06/12/17 - the thing in common with these seasons was having a lot of stability.

The great thing is we are winning and have best 22 players returning (brown last week and Milera, Seedsman and Douglas soon). We also have some talented kids waiting in the wings - Fog, Jones, McHenry.

For me - changes I would like to see most:

Crouch (Injured/rest) - Gibbs in
Gooch (omitted) - Jones in

The good news is the stability of our team over the last month. Since we beat Gold Coast in round 5 - we made 2 changes for week 6, 1 change for week 7, 1 change for week 8 and hopefully at most - 2 changes for week 9.

Continuity in a side is vastly underrated. Have a look at the recent years we made a prelim - 05/06/12/17 - the thing in common with these seasons was having a lot of stability.

The great thing is we are winning and have best 22 players returning (brown last week and Milera, Seedsman and Douglas soon). We also have some talented kids waiting in the wings - Fog, Jones, McHenry.

For me - changes I would like to see most:

Crouch (Injured/rest) - Gibbs in
Gooch (omitted) - Jones in
Milera and Seedsman are best 22. Douglas is 32 and possibly in his final year of his career. I don't see his ability far in excess of a Jones or Mchenry who need and more importantly deserve games. Douglas is depth imo. Continuity is vastly overrated as 2017 showed when we ground players into the ground by playing them when injured or not giving them a rest when required due to match committee's incessant need for continuity and not trusting youth and the unknown. What is not overrated is finding out your best 22 who are fit and in form and winning when it matters.

Last edited:
So am I alone in thinking we are a much better side without Gibbs? More than happy to write the trade off as a **** up in hindsight and leave him out.
He’s good depth and last year he was quite big when we had no one left.
His disposal is not good for a #1. I’m wondering why his kicking is so s**t or do I only register his crappy kicks and filter out the better ones 🤔

Ok, so convince me. All the natural talent, experience, physical attributes and foot skills in the world to do the job Don is asking of him. Yet we get a half hearted, disinterested effort.

Either he’s injured or his head isn’t in the right space.

Looks a lot like a bloke playing with no heart and playing for a pay cheque.

Have you seen much from him this year that matches the pressure and commitment that was on display against port?

Milera and Seedsman are best 22. Douglas is 32 and possibly in his final year of his career. I don't see his ability far in excess of a Jones or Mchenry who need and more importantly deserve games. Douglas is depth imo. Continuity is vastly overrated as 2017 showed when we ground players into the ground by playing them when injured or not giving them a rest when required due to match committee's incessant need for continuity and not trusting youth and the unknown. What is not overrated is finding out your best 22 who are fit and in form and winning when it matters.
I’d say test them now, rest them now.
We want the continuity over the last 4/5 weeks leading into the finals. Now is the time to find our best team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did say that yeah.

The only change I can see is Matt Crouch out. I'd rest Eddie too but we won't.
Jenkins said he expects he, Douglas and Seeds to play AFL this week? Where and when did he say it? Is there audio of it because I just can’t believe it, surely he meant SANFL.

"Adelaide forward Josh Jenkins is confident he’ll be re-called to the Crows’ senior side, along with Richard Douglas and Paul Seedsman, for Saturday’s match against Brisbane at the Gabba."
Tell'im he's dreamin'.

I cannot imagine on what grounds he has that confidence, and if it was true who would he replace?
This Board will go boonta if JJ is selected for the Brisbane game.

I just watched the Showdown again and

1) It was much more fun watching the game with the knowledge that we wouldn’t blow an 8 goal lead.
2) Atkins played very well. His positioning as the link man out of defence was excellent.
3) Mackay also played a good game. Atkins and Mackay’s positions on the wing are safe until The Seed returns.
4) The stats don’t adequately describe the contributions of ROB and The Berg. Safe as houses.
5) Hartigan and Kelly have improved dramatically in recent weeks (but still stress me out when they chip the ball). They stay for now but Kelly will be under pressure when The Wayne returns.
6) CEY is going nowhere.
7) Riley Knight spent time on the wing when The Rat and BNM were resting. He play the role well and provided good pressure plus two goals as a forward. I will be very surprised if he is dropped.
8) I wouldn’t complain if Eddie is given a week off but he still did some handy things. He might want to check out Charlie’s progress and demonstrate that he is still the Man.
9) Murphy has been getting better and better, the Kids in the Twos will have to wait.

So.... if Mrouch is good to go then IMHO the only player under pressure is Gallucci. I would not drop him to bring back Gibbsy. He is showing flashes but has to do more. Possibly swap him for Jones or McHenry but I suspect they will get their chance when inevitably more injuries arise.

No Changes
Glad someone saw Atkins’ contribution as worth a mention.

I agree that his was a solid contribution being the outlet player. 75% of possessions in the back half, with his natural left side meaning he keeps our initial outlet boundary side.

No chance he’s dropped

We don't need another slow, plodding player.

Gibbs can either be the travelling emergency or join Jenkins in the SANFL.

Jones and McHenry should be first in line along with Stengle and maybe Poholke.
Slow, plodding + uncommitted , unaccountable , disinterested

We are not rushing blokes like that back in when we are playing well

I agree that his was a solid contribution being the outlet player. 75% of possessions in the back half, with his natural left side meaning he keeps our initial outlet boundary side.

No chance he’s dropped
I love it how he’s brought up every week about getting dropped , one of the things I thought we’d beat Port at is our outside structure , our guys know how to play the wings well providing we win 50/50 contested ball in middle

Once again this was the case , was same against Sydney at SCG

And rats ability to kick that goal is always there , he’s very dangerous

No chance he’s dropped
I have never understood the calls for Atkins to be dropped.

Yes when we are losing he has a poor game as the outside opportunities dry up. Especially one on the cusp of best 22. But when we are playing well he plays his role very well.

Said at the start of the year this could be his break out season, and although he has not stolen any headlines he is building well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back