Opinion Changes R9 v Norf Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's admirable, it's a team sport and the team comes first. It's selfish, pure and simple. It's not the old days when the gun mid can be hidden away in the forward pocket and still provide some value to the team. These days, if you're not fit or uninjured enough to meet the distance running nature of the sport, then you're a liability and you're negatively impacting the team's likelihood of winning. These guys are meant to be professional and the problem is that they know they shouldn't be playing, but they also know that after a few years at our club, they hold the whip hand because our club is a pushover for playing injured senior players. The players do not get a free pass on this issue, it's their teammates that they're letting down with their selfish actions.

Aaaah Team First. How I rejoiced in those wonderful days....all too soon cut short. Please bring it back to my Club.

I think that was coaching. That group folded when the mids got beaten and we couldn't generate clean ball to our forwards. We've had a quality issue when winning stoppages for ages, ours are under pressure whereas our opponents often get to run forward and clear of pressure. Those losses all played out the same way. Hacked kicks forward to opponent's superior numbers, little air contest, nearly no ground contest and a pressureless transition into our defensive 50. When we won the clearances by significant enough numbers combined with fast transition out of defence, we won. When we experienced full field pressure, we lost. Our coaches never changed anything in terms of the plan or the players executing it. We just kept working harder at how we play and ignored how we were able to be beaten each and every time.

Yep.

I'm reasonably confident that prior to the opening bounce of any season, our coaches have a preferred 22 and every selection decision that they make is based upon getting those players in form for our assault from 8th. Following from that, I think they reckon the best place to do this is in the 1s and there is some shame attached to the anointed having to play in the SANFL, so they avoid that until it's beyond necessary and a hail mary is required. And that's why they always end up returning to the 1s come the concluding stages of the season, regardless of their form in the 2s.
A lot of that comes from the lack of long term vision and planning from higher up the food chain I imagine. Every year the minimum KPI set is "make the 8" and one way you can do that is consistency. What we saw in 2019 was the most glaring example of this in some time. Every single resource thrown into just winning a game and clinging to the 8, development and learning went out the window at both AFL and SANFL level, we were like the gambler who was losing so started making more and more reckless bets hoping we could pull one off and get back to even, but just dug ourselves into an even deeper hole.

Now in 2020 that price is being paid even harder than normal and we still have that external pressure coming down of "Just get a win" because even though we changed thing in the football department there is still a stunning lack of clarity, knowledge and vision at the CEO and board level at the club.

Mental toughness is not a trait that should be confined to players. I'd argue our coaching staff have shat the bed on more than one occasion over the last five years, both at selection and on game day. I cant remember the last time a coach of the Crows influenced a game with a definitive move.
This!

eg Round 7, 2017 is still a nightmare game for me (though not nearly as bad as the GF). Remember?
The Crows had thrashed everybody up to (and including Richmond) Round 6 and everybody was asking how any team was gonna beat the Crows. It was very wet, blowing a gale L to R favouring the far pocket. NM kicked to R of screen.
--- we had nobody behind packs to shark the ball off hands when kicking with the wind and
--- nobody in front when the ball dropped short against the wind
--- NM stacked the RHS that we kept kicking out to and the ball came back repeatedly. No changes from Pyke.

Quarter-time 10.4 to 0.0

--- second quarter NM ran the ball along the sheltered Grandstand side and nabbed 2 goals against the wind.
It was the dumbest wet weather footy I've ever seen by the Crows, but kudos to NM for having a plan and enacting it.
From memory, Pyke made no changes, not did he learn from NM's second quarter. Not making changes on Game day was Pyke's biggest weakness. Compare that to how Blight moved players around to try something new/different.
Shane Ellen! *sigh*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those losses all played out the same way. Hacked kicks forward to opponent's superior numbers, little air contest, nearly no ground contest and a pressureless transition into our defensive 50. When we won the clearances by significant enough numbers combined with fast transition out of defence, we won. When we experienced full field pressure, we lost. Our coaches never changed anything in terms of the plan or the players executing it.
Great summary of the 2017 GF and onwards. :thumbsu:

Your point?

1990crow is probably not on it because he's not aware he needs to be. The club would have separate lists for the various places that they play for event invites etc. Whether there's any discretion as to who finds themselves on the list is up for debate. But it's quite logical that the club doesn't send an email to every member if they're having a fans day in Brisbane. They'd have a fine tuned list for that purpose and I suggest it's the list they'd use when emailing about ticket lotteries.

That 1990crow wasn't added to that list is a reasonable discussion to have seeing as he clearly contacted the club regarding tickets previously. So they know he's in QLD and a 100% pledger. You really do get a bit defensive over anything that can be linked to your special privileges when the club is in QLD. Even you had to go into the lottery right?

May be first game where a goal isn't scored. I really rate our point kicking ability so you guys are in trouble.

Our issue is in actually getting it in to the forward line with the efficiency required to be able to kick a point.

Crows: 0.1.01 def North: 0.0. 00 by 78 unforced errors.

1990crow is probably not on it because he's not aware he needs to be. The club would have separate lists for the various places that they play for event invites etc. Whether there's any discretion as to who finds themselves on the list is up for debate. But it's quite logical that the club doesn't send an email to every member if they're having a fans day in Brisbane. They'd have a fine tuned list for that purpose and I suggest it's the list they'd use when emailing about ticket lotteries.

That 1990crow wasn't added to that list is a reasonable discussion to have seeing as he clearly contacted the club regarding tickets previously. So they know he's in QLD and a 100% pledger. You really do get a bit defensive over anything that can be linked to your special privileges when the club is in QLD. Even you had to go into the lottery right?

the people on the list are those paid up interstate members (it’s a membership category) who live in QLD. There’s no “special” list. Does he live in QLD and is he an interstate member? This bullshit you are carrying on with is ridiculous.

But do provide an example of something I've made up and melted over, I look forward to it ;).
We are still waiting for the “Ongoing Concerns” you claimed were expressed by the auditor in our 2019 Annual Statements that demonstrated we were in a financial mess (“Ongoing Concern.....how embarrassing 😱).

You had plenty of time to make numerous posts about this but yet to provide the page of the report or the auditor’s statement that substantiates your rants).

Ten second post but we are still waiting...........

I can provide a new example once a day but you have to respond to each example first.
Tick, tick, tick is not addressing the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back