Preview Changes: R9 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

We got rid of him for Burton, then he got promoted so Burton had to bring a mate.
Yes, and it's even worse than that.
A credible tree diagram could be drawn of Jobs-for-the-Boys, with Roo as the start ie
Roo
==> Clarke, Hart, Burton (all ex-teammates)
Burton ==> Haass (Burton's mate from Brisbane)
True, Francou is an old opponent/enemy, which defies the system, but the above connections smack of nepotism to me.

The rate were going if we can some how manage top 4 I put us down for the flag. As we will have the freshest team out there. Seems like our best players will play under a half of season.

Depends on how many injuries between now and then. Also depends on how players come back and when. Are we going to get Walker to the stage where he can limp around the ground as he's been doing for the past two years and then play him because he's the skipper and wants to be out there? Will Hartigan ping another hammy tonight coming straight back into the Ones instead of easing in through the Twos? So many unknown factors and no reason to suspect that our injuries this season will stop right now.

I’ve posted this before and unfortunately don’t have permission to go into more detail, so I can only repeat it

This is the only piece of credible sourced info I’ll ever have, so here it is

I have a friend who is an international athlete and has trained people internationally and who predicted these injuries - to me - at the start of the season and knows why they’re happening, because the training is wrong. Has spoken to the club and offered to help but been rebuffed

There must be a full review by outside experts, including why this person’s insight wasn’t considered more closely
This needs to be questioned.

Seriously, the ONE time Rooch would be handy to burrow into the club, and we get NOTHING!

when you mention being treated like human garbage it does sound a tad drama queeny
Yet another insult, although only directed at one this time, and not all of us. That's not an improvement.

So far, you've told me/us to "grow up" and to stop acting like 4 year olds.
Nice.
Mate, I'm 65, all grown up 30 years ago and sick of your tone and insults. :shoutyoldman:
deaneus or Drugs Are Bad Mackay? please note ...?

Yes, and it's even worse than that.
A credible tree diagram could be drawn of Jobs-for-the-Boys, with Roo as the start ie
Roo
==> Clarke, Hart, Burton (all ex-teammates)
Burton ==> Haass (Burton's mate from Brisbane)
True, Francou is an old opponent/enemy, which defies the system, but the above connections smack of nepotism to me.
The whole jobs for the boys thing is fine, I mean players are assistants due to their mates being head coaches league wide.

The issue is when "the boys" aren't great coaches or staff. One wonders how we would have gone had we not been stupid and employed someone else in the GM role, with Burton staying as the ti5ness and conditioning bloke.

Instead we have 2 blokes in 2 rookie roles.

So we gain 3x depth players & 1x best-22 player, while losing 4x best-22 players (Walker, Brown, Matt Crouch, McGovern) and having another (Knight) confirmed as being out for an extended period. How is this an improvement?
Good point....Doggies have three best 22, experienced players coming in, and we have 4 going out....this game is 50/50 at best now...

I wonder what they should do?
... What should the club do?
I’m not sure. Levelling with supporters will scare the players
Great post, imho. Point in bold italics is astute.
I mean it.
All they can do now is damage control, without totally disrupting things. Until your post, I thought Matt Hass should be sacked (or resign) but that might go too far. Do you think he deserves a chance to fix things?

The whole jobs for the boys thing is fine, I mean players are assistants due to their mates being head coaches league wide.

The issue is when "the boys" aren't great coaches or staff. One wonders how we would have gone had we not been stupid and employed someone else in the GM role, with Burton staying as the ti5ness and conditioning bloke.

Instead we have 2 blokes in 2 rookie roles.

Ben Hart was an assistant coach in the failed Craig era. We took him back from Collingwood after he presided over three consecutive years of that club missing finals.

Scott Camporeale has survived both the end of the Craig era and the Sanderson era.

Matthew Clarke, I’m pretty sure, has been on the coaching panel for more than a decade. He is the original teflon man.

None of those three have ever been involved in a premiership-winning coaching panel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibson coming straight in at AFL level isn’t a huge concern for me. He’s played at AFL level for 10 years and did almost a full pre season. Ideally he’d play SANFL, but given our current situation it makes perfect sense to bring him in.

IMO Gibson has been brought back to go straight on Macrae. They aren't going to let him run around like a dog with rabies.

IMO Gibson has been brought back to go straight on Macrae. They aren't going to let him run around like a dog with rabies.

Not sure. Historically we've hated to play a tagger and even though we now have one, doesn't mean he will play in that role

Was Francou at Sydney for their flag/grand finals?
His bio on the AFC website:

Josh Francou, Assistant Coach (Forwards)
Francou debuted for Port Adelaide in 1997 as a member of the Power’s inaugural team, having claimed both the Magarey Medal and Fos Williams Medal in 1996 for North Adelaide in the SANFL. Francou hit his straps as an AFL midfielder in 2001 and 2002, where he finished equal third and runner-up in the respective Brownlow Medal counts. Francou endured two knee reconstructions in 2003 and 2004, but returned to play all bar one match in the 2005 season; a testament to his resilience and standing among the playing group. Francou was a strong competitor and loved playing against the Crows, claiming a pair of Showdown Medals in 2001 and 2002.

Fast facts
DOB: 7/9/1974
Playing career: 156 games for Port Adelaide
Playing awards: All Australian in 2002, Brownlow Medal runner-up in 2002, Internationals Rules Series for Australia 2001 & 2002, Three-time Showdown Medalist, SANFL Magarey Medallist in 1996, Fos Williams Medallist 1996, South Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee.
Coaching Career: Senior Coach at North Adelaide (SANFL) 2011-2013, Development Coach & Midfield and Stoppages Coach at Sydney Swans 2014-2017.

Did you know …? Francou is also a qualified teacher. His father and two uncles also played at North Adelaide, the club where he won the Magarey Medal in 1996.
So he was there for 2 GF appearances. They were runners up in both.

Ben Hart was an assistant coach in the failed Craig era. We took him back from Collingwood after he presided over three consecutive years of that club missing finals.

Scott Camporeale has survived both the end of the Craig era and the Sanderson era.

Matthew Clarke, I’m pretty sure, has been on the coaching panel for more than a decade. He is the original teflon man.

None of those three have ever been involved in a premiership-winning coaching panel.
Thats the point im trying to make (poorly). Jobs for the boys is sporting culture thing, it happens everywhere and has some great success stories. But in our case its not a good thing.

Campo and Clarke, well how they are still there is beyond me. They HAVE to do something right for 4 coaches to have kept them on but what that is, is anyones guess. Clarke I can see, Sauce has been a very very good ruuckman for most of the decade, as was Maric and IMO ROB could be too if given a chance. Still dont rate Doc too highly mind you, and Campo.... well I have no idea whats going on there.... do the mafioso have a hit out on anyone who sacks him ??

Because we prefer Otten over Dear.

Dear isn't fighting Fog for a spot, he is with Otten though and you just can't match 100 games of experience with a guy who can't be picked
Still say we could have rested Sauce, rucked Jerka and played Harry at CHF/2nd Ruck. I mean why not? Unless you've already written him off.

Still say we could have rested Sauce, rucked Jerka and played Harry at CHF/2nd Ruck. I mean why not? Unless you've already written him off.

Oh, I agree with you it is worth having a look at what he or Himmler can do at a better level. I was of the opinion and stated it that if Gov was out for 8 then give each one 4 weeks to see what they can do. Here we are though, absolute resolute that we can keep playing Otto, no matter what when he should be a breakglass player, he should have dropped back if Harto is back.

Still say we could have rested Sauce, rucked Jerka and played Harry at CHF/2nd Ruck.
Yeah, I'd have liked to see Sauce rested. Looks like they want him to feed the Dogs' mids tonight.;)
ROB in for Sauce and Dear given a go, or even Wilson whose SANFL record has been good this year by all accounts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back