Unofficial Preview - Changes (Rd 22) v Gold Coast Suns | BigFooty

Unofficial Preview Changes (Rd 22) v Gold Coast Suns

Discussion in 'Brisbane Lions' started by Dylan12, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylan12

Dylan12 Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    No doubt there will be a lot of debate about the merits of winning against the Suns.

Win - will leapfrog St Kilda and more than likely end up with pick 5 (factoring in the Suns receiving a pick after their first for losing Lynch) and miss out on one of the big 4 draftees; or

Lose - Gold Coast jump the Lions (and St Kilda), which (a) brings the Lions into the mix to receive an end of first round priority pick (based purely on the talk that the Suns will receive one, which given they'd finish above the Lions would then bring us into the mix), and (b) brings us well into contention to receive pick 2 and draft one of Lukosius or Sam Walsh.

Milestones - Stefan Martin will play his 100th club game for the Lions (and brings any offspring into father son / daughter calculations).

Ins - Bewick, Allison, Cox, Lyons, Smith, Frost

Outs - Gardiner (I), Hodge (O), Beams (O), McStay (O), Taylor (O), McInerney (O)

Suns by 1 point.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:00 AM
    Tom14 and dlanod like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. snooplions

snooplions Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    I would be more disappointed in losing to the Suns next week than I would be from winning and having our draft picks pushed back.

3. Jivlain

Jivlain Pollyanna's statistician

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Swansea City
    Are those changes intended to secure that outcome?

They certainly seem like they are.

4. Dylan12

Brisbane Lions
    No. Gardiner is injured and replaced by Frost. McInerney has just been well and truly average of late and replaced by Smith.

McStay has again been poor of late and IMO we have been too top heavy for most of the season, so Bewick replaces him. Taylor also has been poor and isn't doing anything that Cox couldn't. Allison comes in for Hodge t (a) give us more run off the back flank and (b) to get a couple of games into him.

Beams omission will obviously be contentious, but my reasoning for omitting him is that if he isn't going to be here next year, why play him to the detriment of playing a young player such as Lyons who has earnt his spot. If Beams expressly states publicly that he is honouring his contract, then he plays, but given he is allowing this circus to go on as occurred with Tom Lynch then stuff him, why play him in front of a kid that wants to be at the club.

5. Jivlain

Jivlain Pollyanna's statistician

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Swansea City
    Beams is more likely to be on our list next year than Bewick, and I know which one I'd rather have playing seniors. Smith isn't a like-for-like replacement for Oscar, and taking out both him and McStay and leaving only Hipwood and a couple rucks (neither of whom can play forward effectively) is going way too far the other way. And your theory that making six changes, bringing in players who've all spent significant time in the reserves and will need to adjust to a more intensive pace, while removing 767 games worth of experience and replacing them with 188 games (more than half of which are in Rohan Bewick) will improve performance is, ah, problematic at best.

6. zorkoooooooooo

zorkoooooooooo Debutant

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Central Districts
    Lolllll please. Look at how well our boys are finally going. We are a genuine footy side now, why the hell would we blow it up and make a handful of unforced changes to bring in campaigners like Bewick, Smith, Allison etc

Gotta stick with our best side and take form through to next year, where we should be aiming for finals (ambitious yes, and no shame if it doesn’t happen, but I garauntee you this group believes they’re good enough and September will be in their sights next year)

As for this week, who gives a crap about finishing bottom two again? We will demolish the suns. Far more important than draft position

7. Skoob

Skoob Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    For someone who has watched so much footy, how do you come up with this stuff?:huh::drunk:

8. CarterS

CarterS Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    A bit worried that we are getting tired so I would make a couple of changes.

Would consider bringing in Keays or Allison for Gardiner, Robbo takes Dizzys spot in defence, Allison on the wing.

I'd keep Starcevich in because I think he showed glimpses.

9. werdna78

werdna78 Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Fulham Football Club
    Out: Gardiner (injured)
    In: Frost or Skinner

10. CarterS

CarterS Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    Is there anyone here who would genuinely rather lose this game in order to give us a draft pick that is potentially one spot higher? Just curious.

11. Dlions

Dlions Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Although it would be potentially 3 spots higher.
    And, No! From me.

CarterS likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Dlions

Dlions Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Could see Mitch Hinge coming in for Dizzy. Or maybe they give Dawson a run. (Although unlikely)
    GC are not too tall at the moment so I don’t think we need Frost or Skinner.
    Zorko was still pretty proppy on his ankle so if he doesn’t get up bring in Bailey.

13. 13Beast

13Beast Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Wouldn't mind the idea of resting/sitting out some of the underperforming seniors for the Suns match (Taylor, Rich, etc) and throw a couple of the kids in for the remaining two games of the season. Also rewarding players who have been in good form in the reserves.

That would include keeping Starcevich in, throwing Cox and Bailey back in, giving Dawson a run. Frost in to replace Gardiner.

14. jackess

jackess Hall of Famer

Brisbane Lions
    Out: Gardiner, Rich, Taylor and Starcevich
    In: Allison, Cox, Keays and Bailey

Speed and carry is required

I thought my changes were pushing it but Dylan really writes some ridiculous shit

15. jason pm

jason pm Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Fortitude Valley Diehards
    Outs- Darcy Gardiner(inj), Oscar McInerney(omit), Brandon Starcevich(omit).

Ins- Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox, Jacob Allison.

Get some pace into the side, if there wasn't only 2 games to go I'd be resting McCluggage and Rayner, they looked very tired and worn out yesterday. Injuries can occur with tired players so I wouldn't be disappointed if we rested them for Mitch Hinge and Corey Lyons, not going to happen though IMO.

dizzysquizz likes this.
  16. Gadzorks

Gadzorks Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Really can't see fagan tanking at the selection table. Stirikes me as a super competitive type (as you need to be when moving in elite circles) and in his press conferences he regularly states we are all about the wins and each week that's what we are playing for.

The winning feeling is a great training drill.

17. Tom14

Tom14 Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    There’s no debate for me - we have to win next week.

While I’m sure the more disappointed supporters will want 5-6 changes, I think we will see a max of 3 with dizzy and starce likely outs. I get everyone is frustrated with rich and Taylor but I don’t see better options in the reserves just yet.

18. werdna78

werdna78 Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Fulham Football Club
    Agree. Pick the best 22 on information available. And the coach and selection panel have the best information.

Gadzorks and Tom14 like this.
  19. BRAB

BRAB Just Hip my Wood

Brisbane Lions
    I'm not that emotionally invested in one game of football that won't impact our future at all.

If it was up to me I would rather Walsh or lukosious over a win at Metricon.

Club will push for the win though because that's how the club operates.

20. royboys4eva

royboys4eva Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Allison for Gardiner. We lack run out of defence.

Bailey or Cox for Starcevich who is long way of being a league footballer at this stage.

Inject some pace and if Rich plays another shocker against a team going as bad as the Suns I would drop him for last game of the year vs Eagles and let him ponder that over summer.

Kernel Kurtz likes this.
  21. PattyKwasagun

PattyKwasagun Premium Platinum

Brisbane Lions
    The Suns don't really have a key forward at the moment, so we won't have to replace Dizzy with a tall I wouldn't have thought.

22. jackess

jackess Hall of Famer

Brisbane Lions
    They played Crossley and Leslie who should be shut down by Andrews and Walker. Dizzy would’ve been a good matchup for Young but I think we can cover him anyway.

We definitely don’t need an extra tall defender.

jason pm likes this.
  23. a mayes ing

a mayes ing Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Not about having better options available at the reserves. Its about saying to them that this type of effort isn't acceptable for senior players. Drop them and then maybe they will realise that they have to go when it is their time like the younger boys. Bit of pain next week for much more improved performances int he future.

Seeing a lot of people dropping forwards or defenders but it was the midfield that really let us down. Some of them need to be dropped. Don't really know who were the most underperforming mids but they should be the 1st dropped after Gardiner (inj)

24. Dylan12

Brisbane Lions
    Which changes didn’t you agree with; Taylor, Gardiner (same outs), McStay, Beams, Hodge or McInerney?

I’ve commented on why Beams should be omitted, but I want pace and more versatility, hence Allison and Cox coming in who you also said should come in (replacing Hodge), but also Bewick to replace McStay who hasn’t offered much defensive pressure.

I’m guessing you’ve taken issue with Beams and McInerney being omitted. McInerney has been rubbish of late and doesn’t offer a lot more than Smith, who IMO should be given an opportunity.

25. a mayes ing

a mayes ing Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    McInerny has been really good actually. Defensive pressure, pressure relieving marks especially this weekend. Needs to kick more goals tho but is a lot better than Smith at this stage. Why should we give Archie an opportunity if he hasn't deserved it?

spotthedog1 and royboys4eva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.