Opinion Changes Rd 4 vs St Kilda (He's back! Elliott in, plus Blair and Dunn in squad. Team in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jesse white last year and this year has been decent. Not a world beater but tries hard. If he could kick straight and hold a few pack marks he would probably be an excellent player.

Happy with the changes. Hopefully Mayne can whip himself into shape. I can't believe we are paying someone any sort of a decent contract who isn't straight into our best 22.

Let's hope we can roll the saints

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Jesse White gets marked too hard. We didn't recruit him to be a star and he definitely isn't but he fills a role and in time hopefully Darcy Moore benefits. Jesse leads hard and leaves space behind him for Faz, Darcy and now Jamie Elliott to lead in to. I think that's an area he helps the team big time. He is averaging 15 touches and 6 score involvements per game so far this year. Not bad in my book.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Wait. So that same high performance group that you've bagged for years is performing well? Is that where we're at? Or has Davoren been demoted?

As amazing as it may seem I want my club to be successful so yes after 4 years of s**t I'm more prepared to believe that they may have turned a corner than buy in on the theory.

It doesn't forgive the fours of s**t nor alter my view that change is needed, but I'm not too stubborn to acknowledge that we currently have a healthy list for the first time under Buckley...

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Why not? He was clearly the worst player last week, and Elliott is a direct replacement.

No he wasn't.

Smith and even Reid were worse. Not that I expected Reid to be dropped, but I thought Smith definitely should have been.

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
Jesse White deserves respect. Keep saying it this time last year he was being trialed off half back because he was behind Cloke, Moore, Gault, Cox - in that order. His career was gone and he was a certainty to be delisted. He has been our best and most creative KPF over the past year. He has had an amazing transformation. He clunks marks and is far more reliable in front of goal. He's also very creative.

Give the man some love!!!

No he wasn't.

Smith and even Reid were worse. Not that I expected Reid to be dropped, but I thought Smith definitely should have been.
I respectfully disagree. Mayne flat out didn't do his job last week.

Vankri

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt Mayne was worse on ground last week. Someone playing close to 100% of his game time in the forward half just cannot end up with ZERO score involvements. That means no goals, no behinds, no goal assists, and not even part of a scoring chain. And it's not like he compensated with a big tackling game, he got 5 but on that night that's only 10th on the list of most tackles in our team.

Reid I feel is being marked too harshly because of expectations and a few dodgy kicks/turnovers but in reality he had 10 marks and barely got scored on at all which is big win for a tall defender.

Having very few changes is good for team continuity and learning to play with each other but we obviously needed to make space for Elliott considering he's top 5 on our list for talent and in the area we're most desperate for help at the moment which is forward and good below the knee to work in our congested forward line.

Interesting to see the Saints drop a tall forward. We're definitely taller in defence than they are forward so it will be a good battle of our intercept marking vs their crumbing forward. I expect a big game from Howe but will watch Maynard, Smith, Goldsack and Ramsay closely as they'll receive a lot of pressure from the saints smalls.

As usual with us we'll need to win it in the middle. Combine our good offensive midfield efforts early this season with the tackling and intensity we had against Sydney and we should be able to cut the saints supply especially as they're missing their best mid in Steven. Other than the midfield we'll get to see a completely new forward line as I imagine and hope our first choice will be Moore-White-Fas-Elliott-Greenwood-WHE (hoping Varcoe spends more time on a wing than WHE but we've gone the other way so far this year) which on paper I really like but need to get the balance of offensive running and defensive efforts right.

Curious to see how we play Etihad, I actually think it suits our game plan better than the G but we have the issue of not knowing the ground that well whereas the saints do. We really need to go to the AFL and ask for these ridiculous home game fixtures at Etihad to never be against an actual Etihad tenant. We should only be playing interstate teams there as we're completely forfeiting any home ground advantage this Sunday.

Let's get the season back on track. Win this to show Sydney wasn't a fluke and our fixture really opens up as until the BYE we'll play teams in the same bracket as us or below, or teams we've beaten last year (Geelong, GWS). Of course lose this and it's season derailed.

Hope my fellow supporters get over their hatred of Etihad and come along in numbers. It's a big game for our season and we need to bring a bit of crowd pressure to compensate the home ground factor. Go Pies.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jesse White deserves respect. Keep saying it this time last year he was being trialed off half back because he was behind Cloke, Moore, Gault, Cox - in that order. His career was gone and he was a certainty to be delisted. He has been our best and most creative KPF over the past year. He has had an amazing transformation. He clunks marks and is far more reliable in front of goal. He's also very creative.

Give the man some love!!!

image.jpeg

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do we match up their key talls? I'm thinking Goldsack to Riewoldt on a wing and Schade when he is Forward?

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity

You would pee too wouldn't you. I imagine you to be a lot of things in it's liquid form. Because you're a little bit hard to get a grip on. Slippery. Not really really slimy because that might be a bit too aggressive and might see me get an infraction from the mods, or a warning at least. Just, a little bit slimy, a little bit... :p

Hope my fellow supporters get over their hatred of Etihad and come along in numbers. It's a big game for our season and we need to bring a bit of crowd pressure to compensate the home ground factor. Go Pies.

Good point.:thumbsu:

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I respectfully disagree. Mayne flat out didn't do his job last week.

This.

There was only one worst on ground last week, and thats Mayne. Smith and Phillips did some good things and some poor things but in the absence of a suitaable in (eg Wells) theres no reason to drop them. Reid is playing well, albeit as a defensive player and not his usual creative best.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt Mayne was worse on ground last week. Someone playing close to 100% of his game time in the forward half just cannot end up with ZERO score involvements. That means no goals, no behinds, no goal assists, and not even part of a scoring chain. And it's not like he compensated with a big tackling game, he got 5 but on that night that's only 10th on the list of most tackles in our team.

Reid I feel is being marked too harshly because of expectations and a few dodgy kicks/turnovers but in reality he had 10 marks and barely got scored on at all which is big win for a tall defender.

Having very few changes is good for team continuity and learning to play with each other but we obviously needed to make space for Elliott considering he's top 5 on our list for talent and in the area we're most desperate for help at the moment which is forward and good below the knee to work in our congested forward line.

Interesting to see the Saints drop a tall forward. We're definitely taller in defence than they are forward so it will be a good battle of our intercept marking vs their crumbing forward. I expect a big game from Howe but will watch Maynard, Smith, Goldsack and Ramsay closely as they'll receive a lot of pressure from the saints smalls.

As usual with us we'll need to win it in the middle. Combine our good offensive midfield efforts early this season with the tackling and intensity we had against Sydney and we should be able to cut the saints supply especially as they're missing their best mid in Steven. Other than the midfield we'll get to see a completely new forward line as I imagine and hope our first choice will be Moore-White-Fas-Elliott-Greenwood-WHE (hoping Varcoe spends more time on a wing than WHE but we've gone the other way so far this year) which on paper I really like but need to get the balance of offensive running and defensive efforts right.

Curious to see how we play Etihad, I actually think it suits our game plan better than the G but we have the issue of not knowing the ground that well whereas the saints do. We really need to go to the AFL and ask for these ridiculous home game fixtures at Etihad to never be against an actual Etihad tenant. We should only be playing interstate teams there as we're completely forfeiting any home ground advantage this Sunday.

Let's get the season back on track. Win this to show Sydney wasn't a fluke and our fixture really opens up as until the BYE we'll play teams in the same bracket as us or below, or teams we've beaten last year (Geelong, GWS). Of course lose this and it's season derailed.

How can players not know a ground?? Comments like this amaze me....there professionals who play on the same grounds every year

As amazing as it may seem I want my club to be successful so yes after 4 years of s**t I'm more prepared to believe that they may have turned a corner than buy in on the theory.

It doesn't forgive the fours of s**t nor alter my view that change is needed, but I'm not too stubborn to acknowledge that we currently have a healthy list for the first time under Buckley...
Do you think that the doc we got from Geelong a year or so back has had a positive influence in this area.

Do you think that the doc we got from Geelong a year or so back has had a positive influence in this area.
Davoren deserves the credit. He's developed our bodies to the point where soft tissue has been replaced by stronger scar tissue. It's a masterful strategy that is set to reap dividends.

Davoren deserves the credit. He's developed our bodies to the point where soft tissue has been replaced by stronger scar tissue. It's a masterful strategy that is set to reap dividends.
In which direction

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lack of pace is the only real weakness I see, but that can be made up for if the footy smarts and talent is there, which he has in spades. There are quite a few posters on this board who have been running with the 'bust' narrative on him for a while now. They're going to be in for a pleasant shock once he gets a good run at it imo.

I had a concern about his pace and looked up his draft highlights.
He has better pace than I expected, and it posed no problem and was good enough to comfortably run away from opponents.
So if he recovers 100% from injuries, and returns to his previous capacity it shouldn't be an issue.
He is likely to have similar pace to Ramsay, if all goes well.

I had a concern about his pace and looked up his draft highlights.
He has better pace than I expected, and it posed no problem and was good enough to comfortably run away from opponents.
So if he recovers 100% from injuries, and returns to his previous capacity it shouldn't be an issue.
He is likely to have similar pace to Ramsay, if all goes well.
Given Ramsay was already relatively quick and has only had one knee reconstruction I don't think that Berg will even be close to as quick as Ramma.

As I've already said. He's talented enough to make up for a lack of pace. It's likely he's lost a yard after 2 reco's, but it won't matter. There's no need to make outlandish claims like he will be as quick as Ramsay once fully recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back