Unofficial Preview Changes Rd 5 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's never been dropped .

Well, not at least in his AFL career with the Lions

Including today, he's played 26 games straight for us since his debut in Round 1 2018.

Take it from one who's had to extract foot from mouth on more than one occasion.

DO NOT RELY ON MEMORY

Odd I thought he had, but I must be mistaken.

As usual, the prophets of doom and naysayers come out of the woodwork as soon as there's a disappointing loss.

So much negative energy.

What? Jason (who I respect greatly) suggested we rush in 3 players with no experience and take out 3 mainstays, in which case I think the PIes would smash us, im not concerned at all about yesterday or the pies in general terms. Chill.

Last edited:
Steady as she goes, Rayner has had a couple of poor weeks, he must be close to going for a rest and Keays has been knocking down the door. Keays is not a like for like replacement but with Rayner missing so many overhead anyway Keays currently offers more on the ground and is a steady shot at goal when he gets the opportunity. Bunby and Nic Robinson deserve 2 weeks to show their form. We just had a poor day, the MCG can do that to teams they dont play there often, the young blokes are too busy looking around and the enormity of the place. This round have been all over the place, I'll give the team a week to settle back at home before being critical.

Best thing for Rayner would to be dropped now and let him realise he has certain standards he has to meet . Maybe him missing against pies on biggest stage would have him realise that he isn’t perorming . I said weeks ago I was concerned with how he was doing . Yeah he kicked 2 against port but had 5 touches in a game and about 9 week before against Roos. How can a player of his talent only get the ball 5 times ? Clearly not fit enough , injured or just lazy . His endurance was a massive concern in his draft year and was his one question mark . Compare him to how Walsh is looking or what rozee did the other day and it’s not even close discussion to who are better players . I also picked up that he came back to pre season 4kgs overweight and had to do 4 boxing sessions a week to get him to his playing weight not what I would say huge dedication from a bloke who is lacking endurance running . I think he is a bit like petracca from Melbourne to be honest .

What? Jason (who I respect greatly) suggested we rush in 3 players with no experience and take out 3 mainstays, in which case I think the PIes would smash us, im not concerned at all about yesterday or the pies in general terms. Chill.
No worries, disagreements and vigorous discussion is what a forum is all about.

I would't be surprised if Hodge is rested, I think Rayner looks tired, it was an extremely tough off season by all accounts and coming off travel and a 5 day break maybe he is rested as well, Lyons apart from a game and a half I've been really disappointed in what he has bought, maybe the 2 other clubs he was with got it right and our recruiters may have made a rare mistake.

I'm a huge fan of Cedric Cox, also I think he'll play really well in a good side, a bit like Daniel Rich has shown this year. Ely Smith comes in to take over Lyons inside role and Hinge? I have liked what I have seen from him in the games I've watched over the last couple of years, IMO he'd do a good job in the Hodge role, he's a very good kick.

Rayner won't be dropped. Not against the Pies at a sellout game. If there was ever a time Cam would find another level it will be in front of a huge Gabba crowd.

I'd only look at doing one or two changes.

Out: Matho. When we're struggling to win contested ball, we're struggling to get much out of Matho. I'd like to see someone a bit more versatile come in and think looking at one of Lyons, Keays, Basti or Smith based on the NEAFL game would all be good options.

Out: N Robbo. A bit harsh given he's been in for one week, but we were clearly missing pace. This may be a bit of a risky choice, but I feel Answorth is the right choice despite being a first gamer. Watching him play the NEAFL, I was genuinely surprised how clean he is - zero fumbling in his game and he has the defensive aspects down. The Pies have a very good forward line so bringing in a first gamer may not win us the game, but will fill the hole we have and okay his role.

We were badly beaten in the contest and in spreading from the contest. We need to look at players who are in the team to play this role. The game was over by half time. Lyons had one or two disposals by half time. matho a couple more. Spotlight needs to be on them. CLyons had 30 ish disposals in the magoos. Time to give him a chance to see what he can do at the next level? Answerth ( is that right spelling?) looked good in the half I saw and has pace. Maybe we (supporters) got ahead of ourself and this is going to be a 7 to 10 win season. Time to give him or ESmith a taste? Taylor and Keays deserve an opportunity. Let Bundy and Nrobbo have another week. Cam must be dropped or team rules around effort are meaningless.

Outs from Matho, Lyons, Rayner and Hodge (sorry old fella)

Ins from Lyons, Taylor, Keays and Answerth. Maybe ESmith or Cox

Ps really respect Lester for professionalism and getting the best out of himself, but hasn’t got the pace we need at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Cutler is one of the most talented players on our list but apparently he's not under consideration despite the fact that he was one of our best in 2018

IIRC he was about 15-20 in our best and fairest so he was definitely not one our best last year.

We knew going in to the Essendon game we going up against a team with a very fast and smaller forward line, yet we went tall and slow.

It was the ideal game to bring in one or two of the younger to “blood” them before the Collingwood game.

Greene's aren't the benchmark though.

Using your legs to kick out or preventing someone from contesting the mark with your legs is what has changed.

I don't want Hipwood to get suspended for a second, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Eric made an example of given the injuries to Myers such is the MRO's unpredictability, plus we are the sort of club that the MRO has shown it will suspend our players in comparison to the big Vic clubs where such incidents are overlooked.

We'll soon see anyways.

I think the biggest thing for me is that Hipwood was in midair when the Bombers player behind him began to make contact and push and it seemed to put him really off balance. I thought the action he made was a result of this.

I’d be keen to bring in TBerry to play on the wing.

He has outright speed and agility. He has a genuine defensive side to his game, and can go forward and kick a goal.

He also can win his own ball.

I’d also want to bring Answerth in to play as a small defender.

I’d prefer to push Zorko forward more, and has MRobbo rotating more through midfield.

I’d also consider bringing Taylor in.

Who goes out?

For me Gardiner is out of form and being beaten by his opponent fairly often. NRobbo also had a poor game on the weekend. But we need one of them matching up on De Goey.

We can’t play all of Gardiner, NRobbo and Hodge.

I’m not sure who out of Lyons or Mathieson I’d drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back