Prediction Changes Rd 6 vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not think Mitch G is yet accustomed to the plays and roles. We do not have a reserves team where the next group can practice the plays. On the WCE game, Rozee sacrifices his game for the team and his blocking work was excellent. While Sutcliffe will not attract the same attention, he should have the experience on how to position himself. Brisbane out coached us and particularly paid attention to where Marshall positioned himself relative to Dixon. I don’t think we need a person who will simply go and contest everything and that is his only strong point. Mitch G is more than capable, and will be given chances, but I actually see the sense in Sutcliffe being chosen even if he by no means the most talented next in line player.
He was fine in round one mate.

Your point?
I agree George had a good game. Dixon replaced him. George will not have match fitness and would only be useful as a stay at home forward, which I prefer Dixon to do. Rocky also had a good game but is now dropped, form or team balance, take your choice. I just think that Sutcliffe is in for team balance, releasing Rozee and Butters for more midfield time. Also, Sutcliffe will have a better understanding of the required positioning which George has not had time to learn because we do not have reserves playing.

I agree George had a good game. Dixon replaced him. George will not have match fitness and would only be useful as a stay at home forward, which I prefer Dixon to do. Rocky also had a good game but is now dropped, form or team balance, take your choice. I just think that Sutcliffe is in for team balance, releasing Rozee and Butters for more midfield time. Also, Sutcliffe will have a better understanding of the required positioning which George has not had time to learn because we do not have reserves playing.
I kinda see your point but Georgiades brings so much more dynamically to our side than Sutcliffe. His presence would further free up Dixon and Marshall, and he would have free reign to go for his marks when the attention is on those two.

Plus we know what Sutcliffe brings, he's reached his ceiling which is pretty average and we have so much youthful talent waiting to come into the side its not funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn’t going to be like when Jackson Trengove tagged Alex Rance or when Aidyn Johnson was brought in to negate Rory Laird, is it?

Surely not, Ken Hinkley always learns his lesson from poor games and never makes the same mistake twice.

Not one of these posts really addressed the question, they only affirm the hatred of Ken Hinkley. Lets face the here and the NOW. What is happening at port NOW? Has Ken actually changed NOW? Do we have a balanced coaching team NOW? We have some really good people surrounding Ken. Strong personalities, that he has already publicly said have outvoted him in some recent selections. So, quit this crap that Ken is the only voice here! He isnt.

The question I asked earlier is a genuine one. I really feel that for the first time in his tenure at Port that Ken has a really quality team around him, so I feel confident that the selection of Sutcliffe is a majority call by the committee. So what is it that they are seeing? Obviously posters here dont want to go down this road of thinking but I will.

Sutcliffe is NOT my preference, but ONE man a team does NOT make, and regardless of our biases, he is not that bad a player. So, he wears our jumper tomorrow & therefore has my support. I will be watching him closely with much interest tomorrow. Adds an additional fascination to the game for me.

To me it's obvious - we need someone more defensively minded. We lost last weeks game because we couldn't stop them out of the middle. None of our mids are particularly defensive and Sutcliffe is the best we have for that.

Everyone saying pick Bergman, Georgiades or whoever is missing that these young exciting players are not defensive options, certainly not in the midfield. We still need some dour boring role players - just as GWS need de boer despite having boatloads of talent including caldwell not in the team.

To me it's obvious - we need someone more defensively minded. We lost last weeks game because we couldn't stop them out of the middle. None of our mids are particularly defensive and Sutcliffe is the best we have for that.

Everyone saying pick Bergman, Georgiades or whoever is missing that these young exciting players are not defensive options, certainly not in the midfield. We still need some dour boring role players - just as GWS need de boer despite having boatloads of talent including caldwell not in the team.
Glad we’re not the only ones picking up delisted Fremantle players.
People will look for reasons to suit their position that Ken is a dud coach. He has form picking players for roles that fail. So do 17 other coaches if you look at opposition boards.
Having said that, the only thing that matters are results and he doesn’t have those.

In- Bonner, Mayes, Toumpas
Out- Westhoff Ebert, Sutcliffe
No, but in all seriousness I felt Ebert's performance warranted demotion regardless of the MRP decision. Very poor with ball in hand and although his defensive work is good, not hitting 15 metre kicks in space is a concern. Possibly Bergman to replace him as a debutant as it seems we are light on for quality experienced midfield backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back