Gray - Dixon - Williams

Westoff - Bergman - SPP - Ebert

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ive been saying this since the tingles game.

We are still so poorly coached on going inside 50, we have so far thia year just not noticed it as much because weve outclassed sides at ground level.
I really would have expected better from Voss, Schofield and Bassett. They're not idiots - why can't they develop some efficient midfield/forward method? It's been driving me batshit for years!

He's not going to be leading the Coleman when he is limping around getting zero goals every week, you know, like every other season.

Or do you want us to give the coach another contract too.

Yes, because I don't think we should drop the form KPF of the competition right now I must also want to give Ken another contract.

You start with Bonner out for Burton and then work from there.

Given how the defence capitulated tonight, it feels like a good opportunity for the Jack Watts comeback. I'm not prepared to nominate who goes out because it could almost be any of them.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Bonner has to come out for Burton. I would drop one of Wines or Rockliff and play a runner like Bergman or a forward like Williams. This will then allow Rozee and Butters to spend more time in the midfield. We really need Duursma back asap as well.

If Lycett is not injured hes gone downhill quickly. Moving like a lumberjack and offers nothing aerially. Have to think Ladhams will be pushing for selection if Lycett continues this rubbish.

His position isn't gone yet but the coaches need to sort Robbie's role out. I dont rate him one out as a deep forward anymore. He showed more tonight when pushed into the midfield. No idea how you sort the balance out.but it must be addressed.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The talk of dropping Marshall is completely moronic FFS. You don't understand football at all if you think Marshall should even be in the conversation re being dropped.

Just an infuriating concept. Dumb.

Westhoff was no better, if you really enjoy our sustained period of disappointing garbage football and are desperate for it to continue so you want to drop a tall forward after that game, drop the 34 year old.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
He's not going to be leading the Coleman when he is limping around getting zero goals every week, you know, like every other season.

Or do you want us to give the coach another contract too.

Dixon must have run over your dog or schtooped your significant other, possibly both at the same time. He's leading the Coleman as we speak m80.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Farken Hell. I make my Fiancee create me a new account tonight because I was that pissed off with the umpiring and I can't post on my old account because it got banned when I started a fight with half of the Essendon supporter base and then abused an admin for about 3 hours and this is what I come back to. Port are s**t even though we are on top and a game and percentage clear of third place. Dixon is s**t, even though he is leading the Coleman and his only bad game was tonight when he should have received 4 shots on goal directly in front from free kicks. Just about everything that could have gone wrong tonight did. We kicked poorly. The umpires fisted us. 2-3 goals of Brisbane were just amazingly unlucky. We got rolled by 6 goals by likely the best team in the comp on their home deck when almost everything went right for them. The other top 6 clubs consist of Geelong, who lost to Carlton and (almost) Melbourne. St Kilda, who have less exposed form than we do, Essendon (lol) and GC, who we smashed. Burning the club down to ash over a loss is a bit premature.

I can see them going no change and backing in the team to recover from that.

I reckon they'll go Bergman for Farrell and Burton for McKenzie

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Marshall shouldn't be dropped after one bad game, but getting rid of a tall forward and replacing him with someone like Sutcliffe has often been the way kern has rolled in the past.

Clurey could not possibly retain his spot, and I would like to see him replaced by Watts, but I suspect it will probably be by Leinert who at least has a bit of height about him, but once again he is only a 3rd tall type.

I'm getting in early :) but wait for our garden gnome defence to play Mason Cox and Brown into form when we meet the wobblers and the roos.
You just know it's going to happen!

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I think we need to train how to play as a back half team where we can move all our outnumber to the back half and play on the counter like Brisbane did to us in the first quarter.

I actually think this is plausible when we have mobile forward options like Marshall, Butters, Rozee, Motlop and hard runners like Amon & Duursma.

It's not a good Plan A but a serviceable Plan B at points in matches.

It's basically the s**t plan of 2018 but imagine the intelligence of Butters and Rozee setting up the play with Duursma or Ebert gut-running to get on the end of it.

To do this plus have our normal Plan A of forward half intercepts we might need to play MG and move Westhoff to the bench or out. I don't know if Burton would add much to the Plan B but he's a better player than Bonner so he's in too.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As has been suggested many times before by multiple posters, having Rockliff and Wines in the midfield at the same time particularly on the quicker decks can be a recipe for disaster.

I suspect Rocky has no trade value and will finish his career at Alberton, while Ollie after a brilliant first season where people were talking `franchise ' player has gone backwards virtually every season since, and at a rate of knots.
Sure he can still win the hard ball from time to time and help set up play, or jag the occasional goal from a stoppage in or near the goal square, but his field kicking is nowhere near AFL standard and I would love to be as sure of winning lotto as I am that oppo coaches know he will turn it over more often than not, and they set up accordingly.

I'm on the same page as those who believe we should get something for him while he still has some value, but I have my doubts it would be a low first rounder and more likely be a player and a later pick.

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dropping forwards or back after this game isn’t really fair when it was the mids and ruck that let us down for a half. And really one bad game away from home against the top team with the umps reaming us isn’t enough to start swinging the axe wildly.

Out: Farrel
In: Burton

Houston back in the middle with Burton down back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My concern with Dix (and no he should definitely not be dropped) has nothing to do with how he plays. He was one of a small handful of blokes that could hold his head up high last night and has had a great season.

My concern with Dix is the way we set up strategically around him. Too often we are overly reliant on him and think he is the only pathway to goal, especially when under pressure. Good sides find multiple ways to goal. Look at Brisbane last night - when Hipwood was getting off the leash they repeatedly took advantage of that. When Hipwood was covered they found McStay, they found other avenues (10 different goal scorers).

It's incredibly difficult to defend against multiple players leading in to multiple areas and no clue where the ball will be delivered, and usually someone will end up one out or free.

Meanwhile for Port I constantly watch Marshall just sit right behind Dix in contests, and nobody else doing anything other than gathering for a pack at the top of the square. It feels like we aren't actually putting faith in our forwards to go out and beat players one on one, we have decided the best we can hope for is getting it to a neutral position ballwise in a great position groundwise (bringing the ball to ground at the top of the square), and playing it from there.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My concern with Dix (and no he should definitely not be dropped) has nothing to do with how he plays. He was one of a small handful of blokes that could hold his head up high last night and has had a great season.

My concern with Dix is the way we set up strategically around him. Too often we are overly reliant on him and think he is the only pathway to goal, especially when under pressure. Good sides find multiple ways to goal. Look at Brisbane last night - when Hipwood was getting off the leash they repeatedly took advantage of that. When Hipwood was covered they found McStay, they found other avenues (10 different goal scorers).

It's incredibly difficult to defend against multiple players leading in to multiple areas and no clue where the ball will be delivered, and usually someone will end up one out or free.

Meanwhile for Port I constantly watch Marshall just sit right behind Dix in contests, and nobody else doing anything other than gathering for a pack at the top of the square. It feels like we aren't actually putting faith in our forwards to go out and beat players one on one, we have decided the best we can hope for is getting it to a neutral position ballwise in a great position groundwise (bringing the ball to ground at the top of the square), and playing it from there.

Good points, and let's hope we don't revert to that :poo: game plan where Port players coming off half back at Adelaide oval and in free space continually kicked to the right forward pocket, particularly at the scoreboard end, and then we would try and score from a stoppage.

Back