Prediction Changes Rd 6 vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not expecting many changes this week. Brisbane are a really good team and were red hot. It's the first time this year we played reactive football and stopped being aggressive in both defence/attack. Putting Rozee into the centre square is great but don't have him lined up on Neale with a defensive mindset. Rozee needs to play on instinct, tell him to get on ball and win the ball, best way to stop Neale getting it. We have to get the midfield balance right, single biggest issue we've got. I look at Bailey Smith dominating in the midfield for Bulldogs and think Rozee can do that if given the chance. I'd also love to see DBJ get a squirt in the midfield, he has the sort of explosiveness our midfield lacks. So based on the fact it's our only loss for the year against a very good team I'd make one change, Burton in for Rockliff. If we get towelled up then it's time to give Bergman, Williams and Ladhams a run.
We need to make more than the 1 change.

You are right though, Brisbane are a really good team and the problem is we didn’t go down in a tight game, they made us look second rate. That was our first big test of the year and we failed poorly.

Now we are coming up against another good team in GWS and we need to learn from last week, we need to make changes that make us better and put us in a better position to beat those really good teams (that is if we want to win the flag this year). Our next test comes at selection, can Hinkley make a couple of big changes that make us better and then can that team get up and win ?

Last year we’d get Farrel out for Burton and that would be all.

Let’s see if anything has really changed.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we are too short down back bring in another ruckman and keep them on the ground full time and resting in the back pocket ala 1950s style. It should work well with short quarters in terms of fatigue.
Do it.
In Ladhams or Hayes ( to ruck with Lycett).
Above all these guys have to play in front and stick their bums out to counter a potential lack of speed, particularly Lycett.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I don't think we need wholesale changes, we can get away with 2, if they are the right 2.

1. Rockliff out frees up Wines to focus on first possession at stoppage which is his strength and doesn't require much beyond his typical hack kicks forward or a quick handball.

Houston to focus on the distribution element Rockliff's role would for the "dinky cheap kicks" except his kicking is much better.

Burton in to cover Houston down back.

2. Bonner out for Bergman (or Watts I guess) wouldn't hurt either

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm resigned to the changes fixing the things that didn't need fixing and ignoring those that do, but I'd almost take that without issue if Hinkley dropped a couple of senior players (for more than a week) off that performance. We know it'll be fringe players / younger players as the sacrifices though. There's never a penalty for lack of 'leadership' by the senior players in these losses.

Mar 22, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Carolina Panther's
I wish Ken would make our players hit the gym more often. Too many times a Brisbane player with the ball would get caught by one of our guys and they’d just break out of the tackle with ease, we’re too weak. That said I want Rockliff out for either Dursma (if ready) or Georgades and Bonner out for Burton (if ready)

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
3 changes at the most. The more I think about it the more I think it will only be 1 or 2. Any suggestion for more than 3 is ridiculous.

Last week the general consensus on here was that nearly everyone was playing their role reasonably well and that you can’t change a winning formula. One loss and we are proposing 5 + changes, carn.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The changes will be Farrell and perhaps Bonner. Unfortunately I do not see Ken punishing any senior players for yet another disappointing performance when the football world started talking us up with some weight to perform. The senior players know all is comfortable with uncle Ken at the helm and they can go back to all those feel good activities outside of football - as its just a game. GWS will continue their dominance over us since 2015.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watch melt day headline: Ken makes MASSIVE statement

In:Ladhams
Out:Lycett

I wish we kept Pittard and traded out Bonner. Difference between the two; Pittard's errors came from taking the game on rather then shitting bricks whenever an oppostion player is within 10m of them as Bonner does. Pittard almost made AA squad the only game Bonner was half decent in was not in defence it was on a wing internationally. Even that was a flash in a pan

Doesnt matter who we bring in anyway Haynes is going to s**t all over us

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think we need wholesale changes, we can get away with 2, if they are the right 2.

1. Rockliff out frees up Wines to focus on first possession at stoppage which is his strength and doesn't require much beyond his typical hack kicks forward or a quick handball.

Houston to focus on the distribution element Rockliff's role would for the "dinky cheap kicks" except his kicking is much better.

Burton in to cover Houston down back.

2. Bonner out for Bergman (or Watts I guess) wouldn't hurt either
Boak said we only need a bit of tweaking in how we play so not expecting big changes

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After seeing Port and the Giants play on the weekend am extremely concerned about our chances.
Out Bonnor Rockliff
In Burton Lienert

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We are starting to see some liabilities, Rockliff and Bonner come to mind. Why doesn't Ken understand Bonner is not a defender and is there room for both Wines & Rocky in the same space.
Time for a second ruck that can also help with our under sized defense.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Boak said we only need a bit of tweaking in how we play so not expecting big changes

I agree with him. My interpretation of tweaking still involves Burton in for Bonner.

My idea of a big change would be Lycett out or playing 2 rucks.

Fundamental problems (midfield mix, KPD depth and variety) are not going away overnight.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I agree with him. My interpretation of tweaking still involves Burton in for Bonner.

My idea of a big change would be Lycett out or playing 2 rucks.

Fundamental problems (midfield mix, KPD depth and variety) are not going away overnight.

I think that playing 2 rucks could possibly work. Height is clearly an issue at the moment, particularly against the better teams. I am over groundhog seasons for the last 5 years,

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lycett stays. Hes the only ruckman big/ heavy enough to cope with Mumfird. They are only playing 1 Ruckman and this a battle Lycett can win.

Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson are all listed at 196cm. Whilst taller than our key defenders, this week we are only giving away an inch or 2, not 4 or 5 inches like against Brisbane. Burton is 191cm so he can help out in the air and if they start taking marks in the fwd 50, the old faithful of chucking Westhoff back is always in the back pocket.

I'd love to see Georgiadis come in. Remember last year when their key defenders just picked off marks at will? Surely dickhead Kern has learned from that? Having a triple marking threat in the forward line surely means this won't happen again? Georgiadis is a different player to both Dixon and Marshall, I really like what he brings.

Of course as always, it comes down to the midfield. Dropping Rockliff is a no brainer for me. Getting the mix right with creative and big bodies is crucial. Lycett tap work needs to be better too

This game will tell a tale.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our problem is we have a number of players who when on are excellent but when off are shocking. they dont seem to have that middle ground.
Our Backline is to short, need one taller excellent spoiler

Also we're going to lose convincingly if we go undersized in the backlines again as GWS are quite tall

I'm concerned that GWS and Brisbane have very similar strengths. An extremely strong midfield and quality talls up forward. I feel like we have the team to counter either one of those strengths individually, but not both at the same time. Brisbane showed that last weekend and I expect GWS will probably show it this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back