Preview Changes: RD4 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this melts talk such poxy crap.

Posters are allowed to express an opinion on our teams selection, otherwise it would be one short thread. Here’s the changes, followed by “good” “I agree with that”. End thread.

The changes this week are unusual, love having Fog back but going in too tall in the wet is a concern. It’s a common concern, generally wet weather football means it’s a ground ball game. Might be a masterstroke, might be a shocker, either way worthy of discussion so can we leave the “melt” drivel alone?
Amen, brother!

Posters are allowed to express an opinion on our teams selection, otherwise it would be one short thread. Here’s the changes, followed by “good” “I agree with that”. End thread.

The changes this week are unusual, love having Fog back but going in too tall in the wet is a concern. It’s a common concern, generally wet weather football means it’s a ground ball game. Might be a masterstroke, might be a shocker, either way worthy of discussion so can we leave the “melt” drivel alone?
Nice melt

I'm going to respect your opinion, Elite, simply because you used "drivel" instead of "dribble". Standards must be upheld. ;)

Does everyone remember a certain game at AO vs Fremantle last year in the wet where everyone was flipping their s**t about going in too tall?

It turned out to actually work, with us taking a heap of marks in our forward line.

I'm a big critic of some stuff the coaches do, but I'll back them in here.

I'm a big critic of some stuff the coaches do, but I'll back them in here.
Seems I used this line just before the GF too.

I am happy the Fog is in
I am happy to wait and see

But using the 'back the coaches' line is something I never thought you would post

Seems I used this line just before the GF too.

I am happy the Fog is in
I am happy to wait and see

But using the 'back the coaches' line is something I never thought you would post

Well I'm not blindly backing them in. It's that I've seen them succeed with this tactic in even more difficult conditions, so I can understand their logic doing the same thing today.

Is it what I would have done if I was on the match selection committee? nope. But I also wouldn't be picking Mackay for the past few years either.

Well I'm not blindly backing them in. It's that I've seen them succeed with this tactic in even more difficult conditions, so I can understand their logic doing the same thing today.

Is it what I would have done if I was on the match selection committee? nope. But I also wouldn't be picking Mackay for the past few years either.
Agreed on them getting more right than wrong

I don’t have an issue with going in so tall, and in fact, it’s the opposite of the “too conservative, like for like” selections people often criticize here.

It’s out there. That’s a good thing. It might work, it might not, but let’s find out.

If it works it might be something we can put in the back pocket for later in the year.

What a turn of events .. Interesting how we look playing very tall...

This is very bad for galluci?

5 day break coming into a wet weather slog. I dont think anyone who was going to playing SANFL was playing this week unless it was a break glass situation.

Probably why Fog was left out of last weeks SANFL game also, for this exact reason, with one eye on this game here.

I don’t have an issue with going in so tall, and in fact, it’s the opposite of the “too conservative, like for like” selections people often criticize here.
It’s out there. That’s a good thing. It might work, it might not, but let’s find out.
My first thought re: Fog coming back in for Murphy was "Uh-oh, that might make the forward line too tall in the wet" which is predictable thinking, but Pete makes a good point. It's different, and might force
--- the talls to mark anything bombed in
--- Eddie to stay down, especially behind a pack for the slippery ball that slides over wet hands (NM always had someone behind the pack in Round 7 last year). No MOTY tonight, Eddie.
--- the ball-deliverers to lower their eyes and look for a leading tall.
OR, it might be a ruse if, say, Tex doesn't play, with the Fog in his spot and Gibbs, Sloane, Douglas rotating through Murphy's half-forward poz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite Crow
P.S. re:
I find this melts talk such poxy crap ..... Might be a masterstroke, might be a shocker, either way worthy of discussion so can we leave the “melt” drivel alone?
I wasn't having a shot at you (respect), or anybody else who makes measured posts which express their opinion. A lot of melts are funny, one way or another; some make good points.
My dig was aimed at the posts (melts) that take the form of "If you think X, you're a moron/ you know nothing about footy/ you've obviously been smoking/drinking etc etc" or ""Fogarty's back?? The selectors are hopeless/ the Club is a joke and has been for the last 20 years/ we'll never win a Flag like this *blah blah rant rave :mad:* "" which don't intend to discuss or try to explain. They just want to be negative and/or right.

"robboaustralia said:
Does Fog have his own crowd chant yet?"
Comin’ again to save the mother-FOG-in day yeah
I suggest (to the tune of "Hallelujah!"):
"Muthah-FoGGAH!
Muthah-FoGGAH!
Muthah-FoGGAH, Muthah-FoGGAH,
MuthaAAAAh-FoGGAH !! "
(then key change) ;)

Good game to throw the magnets around IMO, (depending on us getting on top nice and early obviously). I know Pykey doesn't love doing that much, but there are 2 outside the box moves I wouldn't mind seeing as a bit of an early season experiment.

1) Throw FOG into a stoppage or 2 each quarter. We all know his fitness isn't up to midfield scratch yet, but 2-3 min bursts on a wet contested night isn't the worst time to see how the kid handles the in tight stuff.

2) Without Murphy I also wouldn't mind seeing Luke Brown perhaps go forward for a bit to provide some tight forward pressure. He has a cannon leg these days and can hurt opposition each way, plus he's big enough and defensively savvy enough to put him on a Jeremy Howe to try and negate his influence through HB (who is arguable their most damaging weapon back there).

Obviously we wouldn't being committing to it all game or anything, but I do think we need to learn a few new ways too beat teams this year. The down hill skiing gameplan is great when we are on top, but we have a habit of being blown out the water when things don't go our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back