Prediction Changes Rd7 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

You are right mate. It seems as though i am jaded from decisions in the past, and this feels similar. Lets hope Mayes proves me wrong.
We all are and given the Toump/Trengove experiment went **** up doesn’t auger well for the ex high first round pick coming home and getting it together ...

But Mayes’s body hasn’t failed him like those others so fingers crossed for him and the team he can get it together

We all are and given the Toump/Trengove experiment went **** up doesn’t auger well for the ex high first round pick coming home and getting it together ...

But Mayes’s body hasn’t failed him like those others so fingers crossed for him and the team he can get it together
Early days but if he has a successful career at Port then we will have done pretty well out of the Wingard trade: Burton, Duursma and Mayes

You did say McInerney is a solid forward as a general statement before going to his particular first season.

How do you know Ladhams wouldn't return 1 goal a game if we sat him in a forward pocket and accepted that as a reasonable return?

I'm not talking about Ladhams using a large proportion of Lycett's ruck time, and I think he can be played especially in these shortened quarter games without taking a big chunk of ruck time.

My proposition was that if we are going to rest Westhoff, then Ladhams could be in line to provide forward support in the same role Westhoff did last week and then give Lycett a chop out in ruck as Westhoff does. They're not naming Ladhams as an emergency for shits and giggles.

Ladhams isn't Westhoff, but he is very mobile for a player his size. And we have to start building his AFL experience somewhere.

If Westy is out / needs to be maanged then I can understand it. I don't think we should be pushing Westy out to play Ladhams though, and I definitely don't think 2 rucks is the way to go in games that are shortened. Scotty is in the prime of his career and should be dominating that spot on his own as he did against Mumford last week.

Hell just last night Collingwood played Grundy with approximately 0 back up rucks. They preferred to use Rupert Wills or have nobody compete than to play Mason Cox. That's where the game is at at the moment, if your second ruck is a dysfunctional forward you just can't play them.

Early days but if he has a successful career at Port then we will have done pretty well out of the Wingard trade: Burton, Duursma and Mayes

even without mayes, i think BUrton is hugely underrated for us. and even without X has done more for us this year than what wingard would have. Yes wingard is in great form but burton is harder to replace with our list

Glad Mayes is finally been given a chance, hopefully he takes it with 2 hands and has a solid game. It is important to get games into the fringe players when the opportunity arises, as the next few weeks where the break between games is likely to be shorter will be the real test for Port.

If Westy is out / needs to be maanged then I can understand it. I don't think we should be pushing Westy out to play Ladhams though, and I definitely don't think 2 rucks is the way to go in games that are shortened. Scotty is in the prime of his career and should be dominating that spot on his own as he did against Mumford last week.

Hell just last night Collingwood played Grundy with approximately 0 back up rucks. They preferred to use Rupert Wills or have nobody compete than to play Mason Cox. That's where the game is at at the moment, if your second ruck is a dysfunctional forward you just can't play them.

I agree, I don't want to push Westy out either. That would simply be management.

They are naming Ladhams as an emergency and Hinkley said there could be 3 changes, so I was having a bit of a guess.

I would like to see Ladhams get a bit of AFL ruck time just so we aren't suddenly in the position of him having to lead the ruck if Lycett is unavailable. And I think he can provide something up forward.

Watts must be very behind, shame. We could use his height/skill off the backlines.

Apparentlly he returned to Victoria a few weeks back for personal reasons and then needed to quarantine for 14 days after. It will be interesting to see if he plays tomorrow in the trial match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked for Sam Mayes, there was some talk that we would draft him in 2012 when suddenly Ollie became available, IIRC.

I think we got Ollie at #7, Mayes went with the next pick at #8.

I would like to see Faz running off half back. If Bonner was there for his damaging kick, then Faz could do that and be a real competitive force against small forwards. His kick is as good as any coming out of defence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If not one of the 2019 draftees I’d play Garner.
I’ve seen enough of Mayes to know he’s bog average.

Good sanfl player
From what I saw of Garner is in the SANFL finals, you'd struggle to describe him as a good SANFL player.

I can see Casboult, McKay and McGovern running amok against Clurey and friends if their mids get a lot of easy clearance. From memory, Carlton dominated Essendon from the centre square and obviously did so against the Bulldogs too.
They also gave a lot of problems to Geelong's tall back half.

Really, if you liked Ken you wouldn't have batted an eyelid but that's just nitpicking.
Well we know that every word that coaches (esp Ken) say in the media gets nitpicked. But if people listen to the full interview rather than rely on selected quotes, its quite clear what he means.

Full interpretation:
"We have met as a selection committee and have made two changes for Sunday. But, it will all depend on our final training session. Depending on how they go, we might make a late change just to manage some sore bodies."

But, I think its much more fun to nitpick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back