Changes - Rnd 1 - vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson's a good chance now. Serong unlikely. Young even less likely. Banfield and Colyer would be terribly stiff to miss. I wonder if the Blakely/Matera thing was just a kick in the pants. Matera particularly interesting considering he kicked 30 goals last year.

I'd hazard a guess:

Hughes, Logue, Ryan
Conca, Cox, Watson
Aish, Brayshaw, McCarthy
Walters, Taberner, Banfield
Schultz, Lobb, Sturt

Darcy, Fyfe, Cerra
Colyer, Tucker, Matera?, Blakely?

Watson's a good chance now. Serong unlikely. Young even less likely. Banfield and Colyer would be terribly stiff to miss. I wonder if the Blakely/Matera thing was just a kick in the pants. Matera particularly interesting considering he kicked 30 goals last year.

I'd hazard a guess:

Hughes, Logue, Ryan
Conca, Cox, Watson
Aish, Brayshaw, McCarthy
Walters, Taberner, Banfield
Schultz, Lobb, Sturt

Darcy, Fyfe, Cerra
Colyer, Tucker, Matera?, Blakely?

Duman would be stiff to miss out.

Never been a fan of Duman but he has looked really good as a 2 way defender in the preseason and there’s no way he misses out.

Watson’s desperation and poise has impressed me so no issues if he’s in the side for structure.

With S Hill and Wilson out, don’t rule out Hayden Young either. We need another distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Serong would be stiff to miss out, he was good in the intra club, good in Marsh 1 and only given a half in game 2. It's difficult to work into a game after sitting out the first half, how many times did the sub come on and have 5 touches and minimal impact back when that was a thing. Give him a proper go.

I think Serong would be stiff to miss out, he was good in the intra club, good in Marsh 1 and only given a half in game 2. It's difficult to work into a game after sitting out the first half, how many times did the sub come on and have 5 touches and minimal impact back when that was a thing. Give him a proper go.

Do Peel play this weekend?
Would be good for him to get a full game and pending form there the coaching staff can make a call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it either/or?

We're missing Wilson and Hill

Watson Cox Ryan
Hughes Logue Duman.

Aish and Conca can rotate through there as needed.
Conca seems to be permanently back so only one spot available I think. Unless of course they think Watson will do a better defensive job than Cam or Bewley will do on a wing, which you could probably make a case for.

Aish Brayshaw McCarthy

Walters Taberner Banfield
Sturt Lobb Schultz

Darcy Fyfe Cerra

Conca Crowden Serong Tucker

Not sure about Crowden. Where do you see him fitting in? Just didn't grab his chances like a Schultz or Banfield. His Marsh numbers are a concern as well. Very uninspiring.

M. Crowden001051530103
M. Crowden00661200112

Conca seems to be permanently back so only one spot available I think. Unless of course they think Watson will do a better defensive job than Cam or Bewley will do on a wing, which you could probably make a case for.

I think that bithe Watson and Duman give me less jitters than Conca with the ball in hand in the defensive half and also both are quite adept at taking a run.

I'd be more inclined to use Aish on a HBF than Conca. He's better defensively and better with the ball.

Not sure about Crowden. Where do you see him fitting in? Just hasn't didn't grab his chances like a Schultz or Banfield. His Marsh numbers are a concern as well. Very uninspiring.

M. Crowden001051530103
M. Crowden00661200112

Not to me they're not. He didn't play heaps of minutes but didn't waste any ball. his decisions were great with the ball

Not sure about Crowden. Where do you see him fitting in? Just hasn't didn't grab his chances like a Schultz or Banfield. His Marsh numbers are a concern as well. Very uninspiring.

M. Crowden001051530103
M. Crowden00661200112

Those figures are for 36% game time and 51% game time. So he was on track for 25+ touches in at least one of those games.

It doesn't measure impact well but fantasy gives you a good idea of involvement and Mitch had the 3rd or 4th highest PPM for any Freo player in Marsh. I think Lobb, Andy and Aish were the only ahead. Combine that with the eye test where he his some really nice passes, I am not sure where you are coming from really.

Also, I am ok with Banfield playing but he was largely a spectator for the first 3 quarters of the WC game. That's ok because forwards find it hard when the midfield doesn't get them the ball, but I am not sure he stood out anywhere near as much as Schultz.
I think that bithe Watson and Duman give me less jitters than Conca with the ball in hand in the defensive half and also both are quite adept at taking a run.

I'd be more inclined to use Aish on a HBF than Conca. He's better defensively and better with the ball.
Totally agree on Conca, the kicking bothers me but I think the rest of his work is pretty good and coaches agree. I have basically just accepted he is going to burn the odd kick costing us a goal.

I am happy with Aish at HB too but he also looked great in the first game with a combination of wing and midfield. Like to see him there eventually.

Not to me they're not. He didn't play heaps of minutes but didn't waste any ball. his decisions were great with the ball
Fair enough. Not having a go. Just my opinion, but if you look at the impact of Banfield, Schultz, Colyer, McCarthy, Logue who all were basically screaming Pick me! Pick me! I just didn't get that from Mitch.

Also, not playing many minutes is a bad sign in NAB 2 - sorry Marsh 2.. whatever it's called these days. lol

Those figures are for 36% game time and 51% game time. So he was on track for 25+ touches in at least one of those games.

It doesn't measure impact well but fantasy gives you a good idea of involvement and Mitch had the 3rd or 4th highest PPM for any Freo player in Marsh. I think Lobb, Andy and Aish were the only ahead. Combine that with the eye test where he his some really nice passes, I am not sure where you are coming from really.

Also, I am ok with Banfield playing but he was largely a spectator for the first 3 quarters of the WC game. That's ok because forwards find it hard when the midfield doesn't get them the ball, but I am not sure he stood out anywhere near as much as Schultz.

Totally agree on Conca, the kicking bothers me but I think the rest of his work is pretty good and coaches agree. I have basically just accepted he is going to burn the odd kick costing us a goal.

I am happy with Aish at HB too but he also looked great in the first game with a combination of wing and midfield. Like to see him there eventually.
Where do you see him playing Round 1?

Where do you see him playing Round 1?
Frankly I don't, otherwise he would have gotten more minutes. I just think he should.

Midfield rotation. That's where he was in Marsh. You can plonk him in the forward line for 20% game time but he is not nearly as effective there. Probably what will cost him a game actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back