Preview Changes Rnd 23 vs North Melbourne

Running on fumes to the finish line. Himmelberg injured, Thilthorpe struggling, about half a dozen guys that shouldn't be on the list next year...

Out: Himmelberg (injured), Kelly (delisted), Mackay (delisted), Lynch (delisted)
In: Gollant, Worrell, Smith, Sholl

Last edited:
S deffvafsvV
Running on fumes to the finish line. Himmelberg injured, Thilthorpe struggling, about half a dozen guys that shouldn't be on the list next year...

Out: Himmelberg (injured), Kelly (delisted), Mackay (delisted)
In: Gollant, Worrell, Sholl
Nah, Mackay deserves a farewell game

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Out:
Kelly McAdam Murphy Himmelberg Davis

In:
Smith Worrell Berry Gollant Frampton

Wasn't gonna give Lynch and Mackay retirement games but they likely deserve it.

Jones Butts Doedee
Smith Frampton Worrell
Seedsman Laird Sloane
Gollant Murray Cook
Berry Fogarty McHenry

Strachan Schoenberg Keays

Lynch Mackay Thilthorpe Sholl

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Watched the 2s, not sure we've got a direct replacement for Berg based on today. Fish was a bit of a non event but did bring the ball to ground ok. I'd bring him in.

Gollant has got a game, really liked what I saw. Think we'll give RT the final week even though he looks gassed.

Kelly clearly torched by a very good player, won't get dropped but Worrell is right there to be picked

Newchurch does some very very impressive things with ball in hand but he's about as helpful on defence as I would be.

Rowey a class above

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Gollant, Rowe and Worrall in.

Murphy, Himmelburg and Cook out.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Watched the 2s, not sure we've got a direct replacement for Berg based on today. Fish was a bit of a non event but did bring the ball to ground ok. I'd bring him in.

Gollant has got a game, really liked what I saw. Think we'll give RT the final week even though he looks gassed.

Kelly clearly torched by a very good player, won't get dropped but Worrell is right there to be picked

Newchurch does some very very impressive things with ball in hand but he's about as helpful on defence as I would be.

Rowey a class above

Do we really need him doing lots of defensive things? New church that is?

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Out:
Himmelberg (inj)

Kelly (omitted - I would almost go as far to say that Kelly straight up stopped trying today, and he thoroughly deserves to lose his spot for it)

Sholl (omitted - long season has caught up to him - he got a fair bit of the ball but completely butchered it, get in the gym, gain 5kg of muscle and earn your spot back over the off-season)

Mackay (omitted - to the sub vest, and fake an injury for someone who is cooked in the 4th qtr if no real injury occurs as a token farewell gesture to get Mackay on the field. He’s much maligned, but anyone who plays 240 plus games deserves our respect in his last game)

In:
Gollant (absolute no-brainer)
Worrell (should have played more this year)
Rowe (tearing it up in the SANFL and deserves a call up for this game)

Berry will have a long and successful AFL career, but he’s already played more AFL footy this season than anyone would have predicted when he was drafted, and the long season has taken a toll on him in some ways I feel.

Round 23 vs North:
B: Doedee - Butts - McPherson
HB: Jones - Murray - Davis
C: Seedsman - Keays - Cook
HF: Lynch - Thilthorpe - McHenry
F: McAdam - Fogarty - Rowe
R: Strachan - Schoenberg - Laird
Int: Sloane - Worrell - Gollant - Murphy
Sub: Mackay

Then, we may as well start thinking about the Rd 1 2022 team (injuries permitting)

Out (of the proposed Rd 23 team above):
Lynch (traded / delisted)
Mackay (delisted / retired)
Davis (omitted / delisted)
Strachan (omitted)
McPherson (omitted)
Rowe (omitted)
Murphy (omitted)
Gollant (omitted)
McAdam (omitted)

In:
Milera
O’Brien
Berry
Sholl
Smith
Hamill
Brown
Himmelberg
Pick 2-4

Round 1 2022 Team
B: Doedee - Butts - Brown
HB: Milera - Murray - Jones
C: Seedsman - Keays - Sholl
HF: Smith - Thilthorpe - Cook
F: McHenry - Fogarty - Himmelberg
R: O’Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
Int: Berry, Pick 2-4, Sloane, Worrell
Sub: Hamill

Emg (from): Pedlar, McAdam, Gollant, Murphy, Rowe, McPherson, Strachan, McAsey, Frampton, Parnell, possibly 1-2 other 2021 draftees

Yes, I would play Smith as a half forward / alternating to the wing. Fight me. We have a million half backs, including the returning Milera.

Pedlar is hunting Sloane’s spot. Sloane must be moved out of the starting midfield unit regardless.

Worrell needs to play at least 12 games in 2022.

I have no idea if McAsey’s future lies in defence or attack. In 2022 he simply has to make his mark at one end of the ground or his career will be heavily in question. Needs to play 7-10 games.

Out:
Himmelberg (inj.)
Kelly - For all the talk that he's good defensively, today proved otherwise. He offers nothing.
Sholl - His skills and run have all been down in the second half of the season. Needs to hit the gym in the off-season and also build a tank

In:
Gollant
Worrell
Smith

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
As a small forward absolutely.

He doesn't have to be Charlie Cameron but Tariek appears to be disinterested in his defensive duties. Boy oh Boy does he have some wheels though

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Out:
Himmelberg (inj.)
Kelly - For all the talk that he's good defensively, today proved otherwise. He offers nothing.
Sholl - His skills and run have all been down in the second half of the season. Needs to hit the gym in the off-season and also build a tank

In:
Gollant
Worrell
Smith
Sholl has a tank.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I’d drop Kelly, but I think we’ll drop Davis instead. Plus obviously Himmelberg out. Gollant and Smith in. Idk who should be the sub, maybe Sholl again, maybe someone else. Mackay deserves a farewell game (surely his days are numbered if we’re getting rid of Talia and Lynch). Murphy and McAdam lucky

B: McPherson, Butts, Doedee
HB: Smith, Murray, Jones
C: Seedsman, Laird, Mackay
HF: Gollant, Fogarty, Lynch
F: McAdam, Thilthorpe, McHenry
R: Strachan, Keays, Sloane
I/C: Schoenberg, Cook, Murphy, Davis/Kelly

Yup, after all, one of the two jobs a small forward is there to do in a side is to harass and impact the oppositions ball movement in the back half of the ground (the other is be an offensive threat and stretch a defence). It's the more critical of the two jobs as well, seeing teams need to be able to reliably prevent quick ball movement coming out from the half back flank, otherwise they're at risk of being cut to pieces by an opposition ball movement. No amount of offensive skill from a player is worth that risk.

For Newchurch to have a career, he needs to get better at it. No ifs, no buts. The kid has enough offensive talent at least that if he can get that part to a good level, he could quickly become an AA level small forward.

Last edited:

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
No we don't. We need him to take his opportunities which none of our current smalls are doing. You win games by outscoring the opposition, not harrassing them. Murphy is equivalent to playing with 21.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No we don't. We need him to take his opportunities which none of our current smalls are doing. You win games by outscoring the opposition, not harrassing them. Murphy is equivalent to playing with 21.
The best small forwards have both.

Small forwards who dont defend, don't have long careers.

Back