Prediction Changes: Round 11 vs Hawthorn + Pre-match discussion

Bit busy today so can't hang around for long periods, apologies if this has been asked already - I can't be bothered to go back through multiple pages (!), but when do teams get announced for this?! Last Thurs I waited all day only to find teams were released the day before there scheduled time. It really p***ed me off.

Are teams released today or do we have to wait until Sunday?!
Sunday

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Yeah this thing sucks, Thursday teams is something I always look forward to amidst the boredom at work

It's because of this stupid 33 games in 19 days run the gauntlet type bullcrappers. I suppose they have to cram games in, but still.......done my head in this season with its fixturing and all-over-the-place-ness!

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
As I've aged into career, family and education I've grown more logical and analytical in every facet of my life.

All except for superstition with my club - and there's a cosmic rule that states Fremantle shall succumb to Hawthorn regardless of setting, personnel and strategy.

In all seriousness, they've always had the better of us - there's seriously something wrong when the 2014 home victory stands out so vividly (cos it was the only one). They've had a decent little win and Clarko will be able to capitalize.

Only way we win is through the same frenetic intensity and dead eye accuracy in front of goal.

No one should be taking this game lightly.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
As I've aged into career, family and education I've grown more logical and analytical in every facet of my life.

All except for superstition with my club - and there's a cosmic rule that states Fremantle shall succumb to Hawthorn regardless of setting, personnel and strategy.

In all seriousness, they've always had the better of us - there's seriously something wrong when the 2014 home victory stands out so vividly (cos it was the only one). They've had a decent little win and Clarko will be able to capitalize.

Only way we win is through the same frenetic intensity and dead eye accuracy in front of goal.

No one should be taking this game lightly.
Suspect the result will be emotional for fans whether we win or lose. Win and Longmuir will be deemed an immortal footy whisperer. Lose and we'll be tearing our hair out why we can never seem to beat those bastards.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Suspect the result will be emotional for fans whether we win or lose. Win and Longmuir will be deemed an immortal footy whisperer. Lose and we'll be tearing our hair out why we can never seem to beat those bastards.
Does a lot for our momentum as well, after this we have two pretty winnable games in Carlton and Sydney, with GWS who we beat last year closely after that (or GWS is first, big guessing game)

Go 3/3 here and we are just outside the 8 believe it or not
Update on the cycle of being a Freo fan
1596688404127.png

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah we haven't beaten Hawthorn since 2014, but fu** it, we can win this.

That year stands out more than 2013 for me because we were mostly in better form.

Beating Hawks at home felt like we had finally gotten over the curse and we were ready to take the throne.

Then a pesky little team called Port thought they'd have their one excellent year per decade against us in the finals campaign..

Last edited:

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's the likely wet game that is the biggest issue for mine. Against both Port and Geelong we were hopeless. The higher intensity and pressure game from last week will definitely help, but we need to adapt our game plan to a territory game in a wet slog. We haven't done this to date.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Tabs shows no signs of needing a break and is not coming back from injury. No reason to rest him.

Tabs has his confidence up, yippee that is what we’ve wanting for years. Don’t sub him just like a midfielder.

I understand about the need for rotating our players over the coming weeks, but I would be rotating most of the midfield / mobile players.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Looking forward to the match and a good contest, hopefully not defined by crap weather and/or poor umpiring. While our historical record is good vs Freo, your mob having to play in Tassie every year, plus Lyon's defensive mantra/mindset of 'just stop them scoring' definitely assisted past results.

Looks like Hogan, Hill and Aish will all play, if fit, so they're good in's and Longmuir's message to his players could/should simply be; 'Let's end the Hawks season today', because that will be the outcome if Freo win...

Cheers.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I am going to go the full Ross here. When Hogan comes in, I would play him in defence. I don’t think we can soldier on with our undersized defence for the rest of the year, and I want Fyfe forward and I think Lobb, Tabs and Fyfe is tall enough. Hogan may find defence takes a bit of pressure off.

Good thinking, the backman takes Hogan to the ball. Can attack with all the ground in front of him.

Thinking out of the square.

Yeah we haven't beaten Hawthorn since 2014, but fu** it, we can win this.
Beating them in the final in 2010, when they were focussed on the rest of the finals campaign was sweet. I'm trying to find the comment, something like "the other teams better watch out, we're (the Hawks) are coming"

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Looking forward to the match and a good contest, hopefully not defined by crap weather and/or poor umpiring. While our historical record is good vs Freo, your mob having to play in Tassie every year, plus Lyon's defensive mantra/mindset of 'just stop them scoring' definitely assisted past results.

Looks like Hogan, Hill and Aish will all play, if fit, so they're good in's and Longmuir's message to his players could/should simply be; 'Let's end the Hawks season today', because that will be the outcome if Freo win...

Cheers.
Looking forward to beating hawkies almost as much as beating the eagles..
Nothing personal just sick of being your bunnies..😂

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC

Cheers.
It will feel like we are shutting the door on the horrible years following that grand final loss.
Iffff we win.

I watched the hawks beat the eagles from the top stand at the mcg a few years ago.
The teamwork, discipline & play setups were impeccable. Never seen anything quite like it.
My hawks mate reckons it was hodge & Sam Mitchell leadership.
Where are they working at the moment?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it true what some wag told me today that the hawks are the only team to have never lost at Optus Stadium? I can't be stuffed looking it up myself to check, but strange stat if true.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Looking forward to beating hawkies almost as much as beating the eagles..
Nothing personal just sick of being your bunnies..😂

No worries, interestingly both our clubs thus far have had Jekyll and Hyde performances this season. The Hawks best can be formidable, but our worst is simply unwatchable, so if the same spuds run around ball watching like they did vs the Swans, then Freo should win comfortably...

Last edited:

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Beating them in the final in 2010, when they were focussed on the rest of the finals campaign was sweet. I'm trying to find the comment, something like "the other teams better watch out, we're (the Hawks) are coming"

If it's the comment from Clarkson after that loss to us it was something like....."All the teams left in the finals will be relieved that we are out now" A bit of pumping their own tyres up after a loss.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Is it true what some wag told me today that the hawks are the only team to have never lost at Optus Stadium? I can't be stuffed looking it up myself to check, but strange stat if true.
It's not exactly a long history....

iirc they've now played 3 games at optus stadium. beat us there in 2018 (one of the more miserable games i've been to), beat west coast there in round 23 last year and Carlton on friday

Back