Unofficial Preview Changes Round 12 v Kangaroos at Metricon, YAY! 7 day break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't mind seeing Mathieson, Smith or Robertson get a go but our midfield is very hard to get into. Agree with these 3 though. Maybe also Eagles out Skinner in.
Robertson is the one is love to see come in, played the first game so obviously did a lot right in the preseason.

Think Matho is well down the depth chart nowadays so unless we have 3-4 mids our not sure he gets a game. Not that quick, not that fit and not a good kick.

with Rich's tackle the whole momentum is moving him forward and propelling him onto Richards. No sling, no second motion in his head hitting the ground, only the full momentum of the tackle. Yep head hit the ground but an accident still can happen in a tackle cant it. Would have been better making a point of Burgoynes first tackle on Danger as a suspension, not saying right everyone on notice from now on. Obviously we will all have different views but if your motion is all moving forward in a tackle i don't know what else Rich was suppose to do. Pity we won't fight it as we can't afford to.

Why aren’t we teaching our players to hit the opposition in the head off the ball. You only get fined for that.
Good question.

We know the types of tackles we're trying to eliminate from the game, the sling where the player with the ball is helpless to cushion ground contact to the head.

Don't see Rich was in that category . It was just the outcome he was penalised for which was beyond his control.

with Rich's tackle the whole momentum is moving him forward and propelling him onto Richards. No sling, no second motion in his head hitting the ground, only the full momentum of the tackle. Yep head hit the ground but an accident still can happen in a tackle cant it. Would have been better making a point of Burgoynes first tackle on Danger as a suspension, not saying right everyone on notice from now on. Obviously we will all have different views but if your motion is all moving forward in a tackle i don't know what else Rich was suppose to do. Pity we won't fight it as we can't afford to.
You realise that’s why they have careless in the grading to cover these types of incidents? Rather than driving into the ground he could have turned him the tackle, that happens dozens of times each game without a guys head hitting the ground like that.

it’s like saying the only way I could spoil the ball was by punching him in the jaw.

Do you think it's as bad or worse as Burgoyne's on Danger?

Is that the one that literally got the rule changed to avoid the ranking of it happening again? So not the best comparison.

Yeah, once Richards knee hits the turf all momentum is now on his torso (and head). He has one hand free and in fact uses that to brace on the ground (may have been a bit late though to make and difference I think)

You realise that’s why they have careless in the grading to cover these types of incidents? Rather than driving into the ground he could have turned him the tackle, that happens dozens of times each game without a guys head hitting the ground like that.

it’s like saying the only way I could spoil the ball was by punching him in the jaw.
After watching the video a few times Rich's momentum is moving forward when he lays the tackle and IMO his feet are off the ground so IMO pretty hard to turn him in that instance. Thats why he falls completely forward. Anyway as i said everyone will have different views as would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

I disagree with some on here saying Rich deserved a week.
I totally agree that the sling tackle should be wiped out. Should have happened years ago.

The charges
Careless Contact:
A legit tackle from behind bringing a player to ground on his side without being in the back is not careless.
The umpire was 5 meters in front of the tackle looking directly at Rich deemed it a legit tackle so how can it be careless.
Rich's momentum and weight attributed to the end result

Medium Impact:
The result was i suppose medium contact as Richards head did hit the ground in the tackle. Lots of medium to high impact in a game of footy

High Contact:
A no time did Rich collect Richards high. The contact was purely the result of a tackle deemed legal by an umpire looking directly at the incident.
The end result was Richards head made contact with the ground

No need for a barrister just send in someone with good communication skills and he gets off.
If the AFL want to clean up the game how about we just suspend all the ball handlers from Richmond instead

We are such a mature minded fair board, the discussion re Richys suspension has been very measured and sensible, melts at a low level, I wouldn't expect the same on some of the other team boards I have visited.

Take a bow Brisbane Lions Big Footy Nuffies.
DM2r.gif

High Contact:
A no time did Rich collect Richards high. The contact was purely the result of a tackle deemed legal by an umpire looking directly at the incident.

No need for a barrister just send in someone with good communication skills and he gets off.
If the AFL want to clean up the game how about we just suspend all the ball handlers from Richmond instead

Bolded bit is the crucial argument, totally agree.

But we managed to get Andrews suspended last year with poor "teeth clattering" evidence work, so I don't like our communication skills chances here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are such a mature minded fair board, the discussion re Richys suspension has been very measured and sensible, melts at a low level, I wouldn't expect the same on some of the other team boards I have visited.

Take a bow Brisbane Lions Big Footy Nuffies.
DM2r.gif

Let's just change our opponent from North Melbourne to Collingwood, then it'll be...

I totally agree that the sling tackle should be wiped out. Should have happened years ago.

The charges
Careless Contact:
A legit tackle from behind bringing a player to ground on his side without being in the back is not careless.
The umpire was 5 meters in front of the tackle looking directly at Rich deemed it a legit tackle so how can it be careless.

Medium Impact:
The result was i suppose medium contact as Richards head did hit the ground in the tackle. Lots of medium to high impact in a game of footy

High Contact:

There is no way in the world that can be medium impact.
Richards played out the rest of the game. That has to be challenged and downgraded to low with a fine.

The charges
Careless Contact:

Medium Impact:

High Contact:

Small problem with your reasoning about high contact. It’s not that Rich hit him high it’s that his head hit the ground as a result of the tackle.

Bolded bit is the crucial argument, totally agree.

But we managed to get Andrews suspended last year with poor "teeth clattering" evidence work, so I don't like our communication skills chances here.
Seriously Andrews elbowed Larkey in the throat and was lucky it was just a week.

Small problem with your reasoning about high contact. It’s not that Rich hit him high it’s that his head hit the ground as a result of the tackle.
Deemed a legal tackle by the umpire.
Lots of tackles result in the head hitting the ground.
For some reason they decided to suspend the player for this one
Usual meaning of high contact is exactly that.
A player makes high contact above the shoulder resulting in a free kick or suspension if warranted

Deemed a legal tackle by the umpire.
Lots of tackles result in the head hitting the ground.
For some reason they decided to suspend the player for this one
Usual meaning of high contact is exactly that.
A player makes high contact above the shoulder resulting in a free kick or suspension if warranted
The umpire paying a free kick has nothing to do with it. Any reasonable football supporter would think it should have been a free kick and worthy of a suspension/fine.

Rich’s tackle resulted in Richards head hitting the ground hence the high contact, the rule is pretty clear.

The umpire paying a free kick has nothing to do with it. Any reasonable football supporter would think it should have been a free kick and worthy of a suspension/fine.

Rich’s tackle resulted in Richards head hitting the ground hence the high contact, the rule is pretty clear.

It was a regular tackle though. The only reason he hit his head is because he fell over and Rich went with him - as you typically do in tackles - causing the impact to be hard. He was fine though which is great, but this is a contact sport. Unless we're going to take away contact, tackles without malice should not be published. He didn't sling Richards and he didn't lift Richards and drive him to the ground - he simply tackled him. If we're going to punish him for pinning the arms (literally what players are trained to do to get an incorrect disposal/HTB call) then they may as well remove tackling from the game.

Seriously Andrews elbowed Larkey in the throat and was lucky it was just a week.

watch for yourself, Larkey tried to shepherd Andrews - there was a fend and it landed on his throat / neck. Larkey stood up, got a free kick, Michael Christian prima donna overblew it as worthy of medium impact. It was neither intentional nor medium impact, total BS.

EDIT: Put Martin's punch on Rockliff's throat next to it - now that's a like for like incident with different outcome. 50m penalty. Didn't here a peep about suspension, as that would be stupid to ask for. Why should Lions players just get walked all over by clowns like Michael Christian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back