Unofficial Preview Changes Round 12 v Kangaroos at Metricon, YAY! 7 day break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said early on in the telecast that North have been doing it in other games, eg their round 10 match. The commentators didn't really provide a reason why.
I had their game on in the back ground so was only half paying attention. But it was mentioned from the start that they were playing Goldy (forward I think) at the start with Daw taking the first centre bounce and then were looking for about a 50/50 split as main ruck. It was talked about that they were trying to manage his time due to them playing lot of games in a short time period.

Then as someone said above they coped a lot of extra injuries (they have had a really bad injury run this year I think) during the game so were having to try and rest him even more on the ground. I almost feel sorry for them over that

I don’t think we will rest too many players, especially as we were able to get away with playing the final quarter last night in second gear. Specifically I think Andrews and Cameron will play. If anyone gets rested I would guess Robin.

I suspect we will see something like Payne for Starcevich to get another tall defender in. I don’t think anyone else really deserves to get dropped.
I think this is a perfect time to get Payne in, to get some further experience and hopefully plays well against North, even if slightly smaller forward line (if Walker out), chance to get some confidence, because St.Kilda in round 13 will very likely play 3 tall forwards.
I also would like to see Ballenden given another chance, over Eagles, who did not do too much against a mid pack team. Admit Ballenden needs to show a bit more but give him a chance, I just don't think Eagles at his age is the long term answer, lacks skills, but does have a hard edge which is an attribute that I hope Ballenden can develop

Do you drop Witherden after a very good 3 weeks back in the side? Adding him to the side gives us 3 elite kicks coming out of the backline giving so many options to attach through the corridor
think Starc, looks like he needs a rest and had his leg iced after the game, so even tough a 7 day break, would rest him and bring in Payne, to get him some more exposure, because St Kilda seem to be playing 3 talls. There seems to be a bit of a shift away from the Richmond model of a few years ago, with a number of teams, appearing to play a bit taller this year.
Maybe Lester comes in for Rich, if suspended.

think Starc, looks like he needs a rest and had his leg iced after the game, so even tough a 7 day break, would rest him and bring in Payne, to get him some more exposure, because St Kilda seem to be playing 3 talls. There seems to be a bit of a shift away from the Richmond model of a few years ago, with a number of teams, appearing to play a bit taller this year.
Maybe Lester comes in for Rich, if suspended.

Tbh I don't really think we need to play three tall defenders for the sake of keeping up with the metagame. I think a bigger worry is how many goals we leaked in the past fortnight. I feel we're missing a Hodge or Lester directing play. Definitely something we need to tighten up, and I don't think playing Payne is the answer to that.

Great that Charlie appears to be okay.
But why would you not send him in for a scan to be on the safe side.
To state the obvious he is super important to the Club and they need to protect their asset and the players welfare
On the footage alone it needs a scan to determine any damage
I recall an interview with one of our rehab and conditioning staff IIRC Damien Austin last season that they tried to stay clear of scans if all manual testing procedures showed no problem, it was more to do with the psychological affects of the scan on recovery ie. getting a scan that says the recovery time is 4-5 weeks but in reality you can get back in a couple of weeks without the scan, there was scientific research backing that course of action.

On paper it’s hard to see them hurting us for long enough to beat us.
But we’ve shown we can be scored against if we are a fraction off as we can concede scores if teams transition quickly.
North we haven’t always had our own way with as well!

It’s one of those games I’d love us to see us be clean and clinical and the scoreboard should take care of itself hopefully.

If we are locked on points with 2nd or 3rd come the end of the regular season these are the games we need to cash in on and build some % to hopefully secure a Gabba final.

I don't really buy into Wallis being off the chain - both marks he took weren't being stopped by any defender - no pressure on the ball carrier.
He kicked the first two of the game and looked dangerous, pretty clear we were playing a bit loose at that stage, things changed once we tightened up.

Rich has turned himself into a reasonable defender these days. He is not a stopper and rarely goes to the elite small forwards but you rarely see him getting goals scored on him.

Also from my recollection Starc was matched up on Wallis when he scored his first quarter goals and looked lost. Pretty sure Gardiner got moved onto him fora while and then Answerth. Starc might well have done some time on him after that but he was the one getting torched early.

I think we are carrying extra small defenders in the team at the moment and that is allowing us to mix and match a bit. It certainly worked fine on the weekend.
Yep Rich and Birch are the two I would be keeping in, don’t think Witho is a capable enough defender - from my memory he was on Wallis early in the game and then Starc switched onto him after that.

Just don’t think we can have three defenders who are just okay/solid defenders against the good teams - last years finals showed that IMO.

From giantroo in the NM preview thread:

"Aiden Bonar (AC joint), Jed Anderson (eye), Josh Walker (corked thigh), Robbie Tarrant (corked calf) and Majak Daw (corked calf) all suffered setbacks and are in doubt to face Brisbane on Saturday."

Kind of unreal how bad their injury list is. I can't remember a worse one in the last few seasons.

I'd like to see Cedric Cox come in for Dan Rich now that the club has accepted Rich's one match ban.

Mitch Hinge could be another alternative.

They played Larkey, Walker and Daw forward last week. We may need to go taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Cedric Cox come in for Dan Rich now that the club has accepted Rich's one match ban.

Have a feeling it'll be Lester back in with Witherden holding his spot to combine with Birchall disposal-wise.

I'm thinking Hinge too, he's been on emergencies for a few weeks and could play that role.

But we are more likely to see Lester back.

I'm thinking Hinge too, he's been on emergencies for a few weeks and could play that role.

But we are more likely to see Lester back.
There is always a chance that AhChee could be swung back and we bring in someone else forward like Coleman or Cox.
It probably depends on whether Charlie is available.
I would like to see Hinge given a go, but would equally like to see Coleman or Cox up forward.

There is always a chance that AhChee could be swung back and we bring in someone else forward like Coleman or Cox.
It probably depends on whether Charlie is available.
I would like to see Hinge given a go, but would equally like to see Coleman or Cox up forward.

After the game he played there is no chance. He scored in the first and did a bevy of defensive work for the rest of the game.

After the game he played there is no chance. He scored in the first and did a bevy of defensive work for the rest of the game.
I think you are right considering we are playing a team at the bottom of the ladder.
If we were playing a team towards the top of the ladder I think there would be very real chance that it would happen.

Great that Charlie appears to be okay.
But why would you not send him in for a scan to be on the safe side.
To state the obvious he is super important to the Club and they need to protect their asset and the players welfare
On the footage alone it needs a scan to determine any damage
You really think they would not send him if there was any doubt what so ever? The club has doctors and sports physio’s. If they are saying he is good, he is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back