Prediction Changes: Round 12 vs Carlton + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Drawing inferences from personal experience is precisely the sort of reasoning that allows things that are obviously fraudulent to prosper, just as much as things where the benefits are not rigorously scientifically demostrable like acupuncture. Take a stage 4 cancer patient that drinks some homeopathic water and miraculously three weeks later their cancer is gone: Well the 99 other people who did the same and then died aren't around to talk up its benefits as a cure.

Anyway no Hogan this week hey?
My personal anecdote began with a failure of western medicine to provide a solution beyond pain killers and sleeping pills, which didn’t work.

Did you say no Hogan?

Could get a blood clot leading to a stroke ?
I don't think that will happen from a bruise. You can get a blood clot from the trauma that also caused the bruise but I think cupping causes a pooling of fluid rather than an injury itself. An infection could cause a clot though but that's a step along from my primary worry about the infection itself.

It's not necessarily acupuncture but I have seen quite a few physios use dry needing to break up scar tissue & reignite the healing process.

Thats me! I had a major car crash 30 years ago that comes back and bites me every so often and I can't straighten or move much.

I went to a chiro who determined that my old injury was too deep for the usual chiro work and the best method was the dry needle to reignite the healing. It does come back (as he said it would) but it only takes two treatments every couple of years to be totally ok.

Placebo my ar2e, it works.

Not wanting to get into any argument about the effectiveness of Chinese remedies, but that's not racism any more than me saying I don't like Indian food would be.
If you're going to argue about something, do it from a perspective of actual knowledge, don't just throw around accusations of racism.

Stinks of McCarthyism. You'd think we'd have learned something from experience, but it seems we never do.
Those are not the same things at all. Horrible comparison.
Discounting the effectiveness of something and equating it to a superstitious belief purely because it’s Chinese or Asian, is racist.

Thats me! I had a major car crash 30 years ago that comes back and bites me every so often and I can't straighten or move much.

I went to a chiro who determined that my old injury was too deep for the usual chiro work and the best method was the dry needle to reignite the healing. It does come back (as he said it would) but it only takes two treatments every couple of years to be totally ok.

Placebo my ar2e, it works.

I’m impressed in your chiro being so honest.

Also impressed that the needling work lasts for 2 years but that‘s another story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the wet weather at the start of the game favours Carlton this week, and we're still a bit suspect in the wet given our performances against Port and Geelong.

They have the extra day break, there's no travel factor and they have the more experienced list. If they come out of the blocks and get some early goals on the board they'll be hard to peg back.

Other worry is, can we put on a decent score? 7:6 isn't going to win many games, and that equaled our lowest ever winning score (if that makes sense). Carlton's lowest score this season is 7:8.

Rory Lobb plays his 100th AFL game.

Last edited:
Think the wet weather at the start of the game favours Carlton this week, and we're still a bit suspect in the wet given our performances against Port and Geelong.

They have the extra day break, there's no travel factor and they have the more experienced list. If they come out of the blocks and get some early goals on the board they'll be hard to peg back.

Other worry is, can we put on a decent score? 7:6 isn't going to win many games, and that equaled our lowest ever winning score (if that makes sense).

Rory Lobb plays his 100th AFL game.
Rory is a legend. Love him at the dockers

Taylor was right earlier.

If "alternative" medicine is scientifically proven to work, its just called medicine. Everything else is unknown at best or extremely harmful at worst.
makes for a cute meme on Facebook but IMO, until we know everything about how the human body and environment around us works, it's arrogant or naive at best.

I remember when I was doing my PhD alongside a number of medicos and watching each one of them in their own way and journey coming to grips with not having an answer to every question. From there trained black and white, "it must be this" to eventually, "actually I'm not sure. What do I need to test to work that out". I understand that as a doc when a patient presents to you you need to have an answer or solution to their problem, or at least refer on to someone that hopefully does as that is the paid service they are providing. But for some of my other doc friends that haven't gone through that process and their addiction to their prescription pads as a solution to every problem, and if I haven't heard of it, it must be wrong...it's really just sad. How about entertain the scientific method like the rest of us if you don't have an answer.

Anyway, after watching Carlton doing well until their momentum got trampled by WCs men in yellow, I think we will be brought back to earth this weekend.

I have faith in placebos too.
And that is is fair enough, generally helps with placebo efficacy. Nothing wrong with it.

There is placebo in everything we do in the health field & the placebo effect is strengthened when the provider is engaged in the procedure (some crazy studies around dentists and pain relief). Have a look at the book The Ultimate Placebo (Prof Harris)

I have not read the the whole pre-amble to the comment but if as a club we are complaining of poor outcomes from our health staff then hanging your hat on hit and hope is folly.

Anyone seen how Carlton have performed in the wet this year ?
From the little I’ve seen of them I thought they’ve used a possession game, though little more direct than ours along with their strong marking key forwards.

Like us, the weather is going to knock this plan for 6.

Aside from Cripps, should we be fearing their mids/backs with the pending weather ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

makes for a cute meme on Facebook but IMO, until we know everything about how the human body and environment around us works, it's arrogant or naive at best.

I remember when I was doing my PhD alongside a number of medicos and watching each one of them in their own way and journey coming to grips with not having an answer to every question. From there trained black and white, "it must be this" to eventually, "actually I'm not sure. What do I need to test to work that out". I understand that as a doc when a patient presents to you you need to have an answer or solution to their problem, or at least refer on to someone that hopefully does as that is the paid service they are providing. But for some of my other doc friends that haven't gone through that process and their addiction to their prescription pads as a solution to every problem, and if I haven't heard of it, it must be wrong...it's really just sad. How about entertain the scientific method like the rest of us if you don't have an answer.

Anyway, after watching Carlton doing well until their momentum got trampled by WCs men in yellow, I think we will be brought back to earth this weekend.
I was definitely advocating the scientific method. Saying you don't know is also a perfectly valid response and often the right one.

I actually think this is a mistake.

Walters back is awesome (provided they stick him in front of goals where he belong), however the boys were utterly spent on Monday and a 5 day break will do nothing to get them firing on all cylinders. Carlton go hard early also.

I think it would've been an idea to blood a couple of new youngsters, perhaps a Valente, Henry and/or North. Makes us less predictable and with fresh feet.

I'm just ridiculously superstitious and last years home game against Carlton is among the worst I've ever experienced in my life. Hope we can hold the pace and lock down their talls. Are we expecting too many miracles each week from our undersized defence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back