Prediction Changes: Round 12 vs Carlton + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Freddy had a very almost night, fumbled alot and some kicks were just off but jeez his got quick hands, that handball to brayshaw in the middle was really quick

I expect we won’t mess with the team structure and only make forced changes.
Henry for Colyer is pretty obvious.
Walters for Blakely if the latter’s shoulder is too sore.
Then consider Hogan for Darcy, if Darcy needs a rest. If Blakely is OK Walters to come in for anyone else who needs resting.
Frederick should stay as he offers so much despite the fumbles.

Why Hogan in defence? Cox is doing well, so is Ryan. Tabs needs a handy chop out, and can be even dangerous

I think it’s more if Ryan or Cox are injured /Sore as is the case for Cox. we have a large mature body for the bigger forward players. A backline of Watson, Duman, Wilson, Hill, Hughes would struggle against any forward line.

Geez, I wouldn't mind seeing a forward line with Walters, Fyfe and Henry in it...

Henry must be a real chance to come in for Frederick.

On the one hand Freddy got a lot of the ball and I just feel he is only inches away from blowing a game open...

On the other hand... he's a young player and it's a 5 day break, the fumbles could get worse with fatigue... it will depend if Henry has earned it I suspect. It's an exciting prospect either way.

The obvious:
Out: Colyer (inj)
In: Walters

Other posible outs:
Frederick (liked his intent and did a few good things, but a bit off with his fumbles)
Blakeley (perhaps injured, didn't do that much)
Duman (like him, but average game)
Bewley (not sure about what he offers)

Question then is, who could come in:
Hogan (must, when fit)
Watson
Try Henry or Valente (really not up to date with no real WAFL games)

A win probably will mean not that many changes. Not against resting Mundy when needed.

Ps Still would love to try McCarthy one last time. But no idea where to fit im in, unless we get desparate and slaughtered or in case of more injuries. And not 100% sure about where his health is at. Perhaps rest Lobb? Been a bit of his best recently without being terrible. And not sure about Darcy as sole ruck.

The obvious:
Out: Colyer (inj)
In: Walters

Other posible outs:
Frederick (liked his intent and did a few good things, but a bit off with his fumbles)
Blakeley (perhaps injured, didn't do that much)
Duman (like him, but average game)
Bewley (not sure about what he offers)

Question then is, who could come in:
Hogan (must, when fit)
Watson
Try Henry or Valente (really not up to date with no real WAFL games)

A win probably will mean not that many changes. Not against resting Mundy when needed.

Ps Still would love to try McCarthy one last time. But no idea where to fit im in. And not 100% sure about where his health is at.
Could add Mundy to that list. 5 day break for an old timer. That’s tough. Acres could get another chance .
Hopefully Blakely gets up. But gee, injuries aren’t our forte this season. Just hope it’s not serious.
At this rate it could be Walters to the middle. Banfield was emergency so who knows? May well be getting another game with Colyer our and Frederick fatigued

Think a few are being a bit harsh on Walters on here in recent times. I hate the ducking as much as the next person but it tends to happen when we are losing and he tries too hard to singlehandedly get us back in it - ala Fyfe style but without his ball winning abilities. Our young undermanned team has showed the past two weeks it can hold up without him so I'm confident he'll come back in and be less inclined to try too hard thinking he needs to lead us to victory.

In: the Walters that plays his role brilliantly (mostly forward but still with cameos in the midfield)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer Out
Walters In

I reckon we keep Federick - Still a lot to learn,but a lot of upside.
We will need his pace after the loss of Colyer - Small forwards are harassing well.

Blakely may be sore but i doubt he will be rested , he's just come into the side. I doubt he will ask for a rest or be happy being rested.

Wonder if Freo rest anyone given the 5 day break.
Mundy wouldn’t be a bad one to rest, literally no point in pushing him. Hill might need it based on previous injuries.

in
Walters
Henry
Hogan

out
Frederick (rest & form)
Colyer (inj)
Mundy/Hill (rest cause of 5 day break)

Colyer Out
Walters In

I reckon we keep Federick - Still a lot to learn,but a lot of upside.
We will need his pace after the loss of Colyer - Small forwards are harassing well.

Blakely may be sore but i doubt he will be rested , he's just come into the side. I doubt he will ask for a rest or be happy being rested.
Does anybody know if there was a hit out against the hawks reserves and if it was in the form of a scratch match or a competitive training session akin to what they had with Collingwood last week

Our midfield got a lot of the pill against Hawthorn, someone was going to miss out and that was Blakely. Doesn't mean he wasn't digging in.

Carlton are better than the Hawks even though they lost to them. I would certainly bring in players that can run out the 4 quarters well.

Walsh and Murphy are certainly capable of ripping our wings apart if we are not careful.

We don't tag much and Cripps is due. I think we play Fyfe in the middle and let him go H2H with Cripps, then switch Mundy onto him when Fyfe goes forward.

Colyer out is a bigger loss then we might think, he has speed and is accountable.

OUT: Colyer, Frederick (maybe)

Not sure...

It’s really interesting this week, we are going to have to manage players shortly. There may be a couple more on top of the obvious.
Hogan definitely comes in with Walters I presume. Does Valente get a shot to rest Mundy?
Do they trust Meek yet to carry the ruck burden to give Darcy a break? I reckon Fyfe gets rested v Sydney.
Some big match committee discussions today I think, on top of what already has been discussed.

It’s really interesting this week, we are going to have to manage players shortly. There may be a couple more on top of the obvious.
Hogan definitely comes in with Walters I presume. Does Valente get a shot to rest Mundy?
Do they trust Meek yet to carry the ruck burden to give Darcy a break? I reckon Fyfe gets rested v Sydney.
Some big match committee discussions today I think, on top of what already has been discussed.
Fyfe isn't going to rest, he already had a couple of weeks off with the hammies.

With next to no defensive pressure.

Did ok last night (for most the night), admittedly with Crowden/Schultz and Colyer instead and against average opposition.

Crowden in particular is putting his hand up to stay in the side and it's not like everyone else is back at the centre square waiting to see what happens. Frederick/Serong/Cerra/Brayshaw all added forward pressure at different times.

He's the unknown but assuming Henry for Schultz is a downgrade in defensive pressure he could still be a net gain overall. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

Freddy had a very almost night, fumbled alot and some kicks were just off but jeez his got quick hands, that handball to brayshaw in the middle was really quick

He was dead average last night which is to be expected occasionally from a young fella. I don't think hes ready and i actually think hes a fair way from being ready, i'd like to see him go back and work on being a lot cleaner before we see any more of him.
Reality says hes likely behind Henry and Sturt for that role in the short-medium term anyway.

Not sure if I like the talk of Hogan moving down back, but it sounds like we're going to try him there from JL's presser.
Personally think the best fix for a confidence KPF is to plonk him in the forward 50 and feed him the ball all game so he kicks a bag. Every game he's played for Freo we've kicked it over his head, at his feet or just ignored his leads. Stuff the 'just compete and play your role' stuff for Jesse, tell him to kick some goals for us and don't dare think about passing if he gets a mark on the 50 line. He's a mongrel key forward, don't suppress it lets bring it out of him.

Sounds like that won't happen anyway, so I'd leave him out for now.
Out: Colyer, Freddy
In: Henry, Walters

Frederick has to go. Not up to the pace just yet. Two-touch fumbler, drops marks he should take, kicks dribblers, misses targets by hand. Yes he applies pressure with his run, but he hardly ever catches anyone, and if he does he too slight to stick the tackle. Needs a few more months in the gym and on the protein and carb shakes. I think he has huge upside but he’s not there yet.

tbh I have no idea who to bring in. All the potential outs are QUICK - how many speedsters do we have left in the shed?

Out: Colyer (inj), Frederick, Bewley (what does he actually do out there?)
In: Walters (is he ready?), Hogan, someone smallish and quick, but who’s not poo. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Everyone remember how bad some of Cerra's early games were. Better to keep Frederick in and persevere with him instead of someone like Banfield as he has an x factor and speed.

Not sure if I like the talk of Hogan moving down back, but it sounds like we're going to try him there from JL's presser.
Personally think the best fix for a confidence KPF is to plonk him in the forward 50 and feed him the ball all game so he kicks a bag. Every game he's played for Freo we've kicked it over his head, at his feet or just ignored his leads. Stuff the 'just compete and play your role' stuff for Jesse, tell him to kick some goals for us and don't dare think about passing if he gets a mark on the 50 line. He's a mongrel key forward, don't suppress it lets bring it out of him.

Sounds like that won't happen anyway, so I'd leave him out for now.
Out: Colyer, Freddy
In: Henry, Walters
Far easier to play back these days then be creative and play forward. It worked for players like Tarrant, Liam Jones and Darcy Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back