Prediction Changes: Round 12 vs Carlton + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He was dead average last night which is to be expected occasionally from a young fella. I don't think hes ready and i actually think hes a fair way from being ready, i'd like to see him go back and work on being a lot cleaner before we see any more of him.
Reality says hes likely behind Henry and Sturt for that role in the short-medium term anyway.
May as well leave him in, the experience he gains in 10 or so games this year in a dead season will be worth a couple of seasons. If he goes back he ends up playing glorified friendly scratch matches which little for development.

Everyone remember how bad some of Cerra's early games were. Better to keep Frederick in and persevere with him instead of someone like Banfield as he has an x factor and speed.
I'd definitely keep him in ahead of Banfield, but not ahead of Walters, Henry of Sturt. Sometimes you need to drop guys for their own good and it looked to me last night that Michael's confidence was a bit shot. He will be back, and in the meantime we have better options.

I'd definitely keep him in ahead of Banfield, but not ahead of Walters, Henry of Sturt. Sometimes you need to drop guys for their own good and it looked to me last night that Michael's confidence was a bit shot. He will be back, and in the meantime we have better options.
Sturt has the 1-2 week or TBA ankle injury that will turn to another 4 weeks. Pretty sure Henry will be saved to debut against the Swans.

May as well leave him in, the experience he gains in 10 or so games this year in a dead season will be worth a couple of seasons. If he goes back he ends up playing glorified friendly scratch matches which little for development.

I would agree if the guys potentially replacing him were not long term options. For him to go out its likely to be Henry that takes his spot, i know which i'd prefer.

And the other guy playing in a similar position is Crowden and i think hes cemented his spot for the short term with his last two weeks.

Everyone remember how bad some of Cerra's early games were. Better to keep Frederick in and persevere with him instead of someone like Banfield as he has an x factor and speed.
True - no Banfield! Any of the Cat B rookies showing anything that Frederick brings? Maybe give him one more game, but if any others have that kind of pace, it might be worth rotating them in to get a taste.

Just hope Longmuir is able to talk Walters into playing forward again for most of the match.
The midfield group looks much more organised now and we don't need Fyfe and Walters in there trying to do everything.
Don't mess with the chemistry, let Walters and Fyfe play as forwards with bursts through the middle as a shock tactic.
This. this. this.

The only obvious change at this stage is Walters for Colyer. Henry for Fredericks is a big chance.

We're going to have to step it up a notch to win again this week. Carlton play alot more aggressive and attacking football than Hawthorn, and if we don't put away the chances we had like this week it will hurt us.

With Frederick, whenever it looked like he was going to get involved, the crowd started cheering in anticipation. It has been a long time since we have had that sort of player.

I think half his fumbles may have actually been partially caused by the crowd. It would be a bit weird sensing the crowd noise rise when you go near the ball. Easy to make you nervous/rush as a 4 gamer. He will get used to it. But it needs to happen at senior level. I don't think he is magically going to get better by not actually playing. There is no WAFL to play in.

He has shown a nice little improvement to me. Didn't do much against Geelong. Sort of missing (touches) v Collingwood, but everywhere with pressure. Then last night he was much more involved with the football. I watched him off the ball a fair bit. I am no coach, but I thought he was doing nicely with his positioning and running patterns. A lot to work with. I can see why he could use a spell, but I'd be getting him back in the side quickly.

Not sure if I like the talk of Hogan moving down back, but it sounds like we're going to try him there from JL's presser.
Personally think the best fix for a confidence KPF is to plonk him in the forward 50 and feed him the ball all game so he kicks a bag. Every game he's played for Freo we've kicked it over his head, at his feet or just ignored his leads. Stuff the 'just compete and play your role' stuff for Jesse, tell him to kick some goals for us and don't dare think about passing if he gets a mark on the 50 line. He's a mongrel key forward, don't suppress it lets bring it out of him.

Sounds like that won't happen anyway, so I'd leave him out for now.
Out: Colyer, Freddy
In: Henry, Walters

It's funny because Ross would never have considered it. I think Hogan has a few confidence issues at present and feels a change of pace might help him work back into the game. I think it's a positive and will cement him back into the side as a forward in the long term.

Question is who gets squeezed out or released? Everyone's saying Henry but wouldn't Hogan back release Hill to the midfield. It's all hypothetical.

I think the possible ins from Henry, Velente, North, Walters, Hogan and McCarthy are exciting.

The reality is Banfield should be behind in that list, but isn't.

Won’t happen (and I’m not advocating it because there are decent IN/OUT options available), but bringing in Acres and asking him to run with Cripps would be a nice way to make a point. The better move is Valente in.

Out; Colyer, Blakely, Fredericks, Lobb
In; Walters, Valente, Henry, Hogan

That’s a lot of changes largely for rotations.

With Frederick, whenever it looked like he was going to get involved, the crowd started cheering in anticipation. It has been a long time since we have had that sort of player.

I think half his fumbles may have actually been partially caused by the crowd. It would be a bit weird sensing the crowd noise rise when you go near the ball. Easy to make you nervous/rush as a 4 gamer. He will get used to it. But it needs to happen at senior level. I don't think he is magically going to get better by not actually playing. There is no WAFL to play in.

He has shown a nice little improvement to me. Didn't do much against Geelong. Sort of missing (touches) v Collingwood, but everywhere with pressure. Then last night he was much more involved with the football. I watched him off the ball a fair bit. I am no coach, but I thought he was doing nicely with his positioning and running patterns. A lot to work with. I can see why he could use a spell, but I'd be getting him back in the side quickly.
One thing I like about Freddy is that when he’s making mistakes, he never dwells on it and goes hard at the ball again. He was constantly applying pressure.

One thing I like about Freddy is that when he’s making mistakes, he never dwells on it and goes hard at the ball again. He was constantly applying pressure.

I thought Frederick worked into it pretty well after making some mistakes early, yes he looks a bit fumbly and raw at this stage but he provides some electric pace when we're attacking. With Colyer out I wouldn't be disappointed to keep him in for that speed and to reward his second half efforts. But with the quality we have knocking on the door it will be tough to keep his spot.

Won’t happen (and I’m not advocating it because there are decent IN/OUT options available), but bringing in Acres and asking him to run with Cripps would be a nice way to make a point. The better move is Valente in.

Two questions. Is Fredericks related to Frederick and who is your second ruck with Lobb out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Hogan-to-the-backline plan is less about Hogan and more about the MC being really worried that one of these games we are going to get badly caught out with our lack of height down back.

Whilst the backline has been bloody awesome as a unit we are still one big body short.

And out of the Key Position players at our disposal, Hogan is the obvious choice to pinch hit.

Tabs has well earnt his spot forward and Dixon and O'Reilly are obviously not rated.

That leaves Hogan, Lobb and the ruckmen. When it gets down to those options, Hogan is the obvious one to send back.

More than anything, what Hogan-to-the-backline suggests to me is that MC hasn't given up on the season. They are still looking for a way to put together a short-term winning team, hoping to go on a winning streak, and maybe (just maybe) pinch #8 for finals.

Beat Carlton and Sydney and we are 6&6 with games against North, the Dees & the Dogs to come. The Dees & the Dogs _might_ be "8 point games" up in North Queensland.

Only one of these I don't think will happen is Blakely as I am assuming he'll be right to play. Otherwise I think they look good, Lobb needs a freshen up and Tabs can pinch hit ruck.

Only one of these I don't think will happen is Blakely as I am assuming he'll be right to play. Otherwise I think they look good, Lobb needs a freshen up and Tabs can pinch hit ruck.
You won’t see that. Tabs isn’t pinch rucking anytime soon. I’d prefer Meek in for Lobb, give him a chance. Darcy probably needs the rest more then Lobb.

or put in Henry for XXX factor, speed and goals. Plus, I want to show Carlton first hand what they almost 'got', but didn't

Frederick for mine stays. I think very lucky Colyer went down injured, in terms of keeping his spot. Did look spritely, off the ball work was excellent and timed when he was gonna get on the ball well. Just super fumbly, but forgiven as a fourth gamer. Blakely's shoulder may warrant an out as well just to be certain. Aish pushes back unfortunately after a pretty good game on the wing to make room for Walters and Henry (fwd). Hill off a 5 day break gets a rest as well

Ins: Walters, Henry, Hogan (swing man)
Outs: Colyer (inj), Blakely & Hill (rest)

Would love to keep Blakely in, if fit. Cautious over these short turn arounds. Does Valente or North get a run out shortly?

Every week there is a young fella coming in to discussions about Freo post game.
Today its Crowden, last week it was Serong, and Brayshaw and Cerra becoming more consistent.
It definitely helps team morale, and selection puzzles occur because of it.
There is competition for spots for the first time in a long time

Every week there is a young fella coming in to discussions about Freo post game.
Today its Crowden, last week it was Serong, and Brayshaw and Cerra becoming more consistent.
It definitely helps team morale, and selection puzzles occur because of it.
There is competition for spots for the first time in a long time
Next week will be Henry =)

Out: Colyer (inj), Blakely (if inj) or Frederick
In: Walters, Henry

if Connor’s fit and they decided to give Liam one more hit out then Frederick to get another game, his fumbles are the main thing holding him back at this point, had a couple of nice plays last night, can see the upside in him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back