Prediction Changes: Round 12 vs Carlton + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Colyer, Frederick and Duman

In: Walters, Henry and Hogan

Duman pretty stiff but I think he is the most borderline of our defenders. Desperately need some height to free up Ryan, Wilson etc which will improve our rebound and ball movement out of defence. If Blakely is injured then Duman can stay.

Ok - I I’ll take more notice when I watch the replay. I think he’s one of those players that goes unseen until he stuffs up (which he is prone to a couple of times per game), and the its FFS Bewley! And that sticks in my brain. 😑
AFL Stats Pro is a very useful site to get more relevant stats other than Kicks, Handballs and Fantasy points.

I did a quick comparison on a few stats which shows how important he is to the side (all Freo stats for the season to date).
Ranked 3rd this season for Freo in metres gained after Ryan and Aish
Ranked 6th for Disposal efficiency
Ranked 4th for Effective kicks
Ranked 4th for Score Involvements
Ranked 3rd for Score launches (after Walters & Brayshaw)
Ranked 4th (I'm surprised) for Pressure Acts

He is never going to be a fast, flashy player streaming down the wing but given he has effectively taken Langdon's wing spot, the stats above tell me he is a massive upgrade. With the ball in his hands, he rarely misses a target and always lands us in a better position.

Duman pretty stiff but I think he is the most borderline of our defenders. Desperately need some height to free up Ryan, Wilson etc which will improve our rebound and ball movement out of defence. If Blakely is injured then Duman can stay.
I think you are pretty much on the money (except, of course, for the last-minute injury out). Personally I'd keep playing Fredrick as I think he provides a defensive energy that is really useful. But it seems likely that Henry will come in and I think Frerick is the most vulnerable. Perhaps if Blakley is injured, it will be:
Out - Colyer, Blakley, Duman

AFL Stats Pro is a very useful site to get more relevant stats other than Kicks, Handballs and Fantasy points.

I did a quick comparison on a few stats which shows how important he is to the side (all Freo stats for the season to date).

He is never going to be a fast, flashy player streaming down the wing but given he has effectively taken Langdon's wing spot, the stats above tell me he is a massive upgrade. With the ball in his hands, he rarely misses a target and always lands us in a better position.
I think our excellent pressure covers his main weakness well (getting sidestepped) because there is always other players in the area to help close the player down. As long as we keep it up he can do a good job I think.

Freddy was better than I thought on replay, you can see it really coming together after 50-100 games or a couple more years developing. His decision making is sound, disposal actually very tidy and he applies a lot of pressure with the way he glides over the ground with that long-gate.

Henry will very likely take his spot this week and that's ok.

Wow I really have underestimated him. Looks like I need to apologise to him like I did Crowden.

Who's the next player I can make a call on as being ‘no good/not AFL standard’, so I can be wrong again, and he can be a good, solid, valuable member of the team?

Srsly 🤩

Wow I really have underestimated him. Looks like I need to apologise to him like I did Crowden.

Who's the next player I can make a call on as being ‘no good/not AFL standard’, so I can be wrong again, and he can be a good, solid, valuable member of the team?

Srsly 🤩
Nat Fyfe doesn't defend when playing midfield and can't kick straight :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, watching Langdon at Melbourne is painful at times, his kicking is still woeful. Bewley definitely an upgrade.

Absolutely, watching Langdon at Melbourne is painful at times, his kicking is still woeful. Bewley definitely an upgrade.
Bewley not as good defensively (I miss Ed's run down tackles) but with ball in hand it is chalk and cheese and Bewley isn't even elite, just good.

Sometimes you need to drop guys for their own good and it looked to me last night that Michael's confidence was a bit shot. He will be back, and in the meantime we have better options.
Yeah exactly, it looked like Frederick was thinking two steps ahead of where should be, if we keep giving him senior games and he keeps fumbling the ball his confidence will be shook. This started creeping in Crowden’s game his first year, overthinking the play and would get caught out.

David King will love us forever if we play Henry this week. Probably.

Im all for Hogan playing down back but we better not turn this kid into the next Chris Tarrant.

Even with all our injury woes deciding who’s in our best 22 next week isn’t going to be easy and it’s a nice problem to have at Freo.

Bewley not as good defensively (I miss Ed's run down tackles) but with ball in hand it is chalk and cheese and Bewley isn't even elite, just good.
Langdon isn’t elite. He’s good. Bewley is doing a good job with ball in hand. Langdon uses his dash more, whereas Bewley is smarter. He’s not quick but zones and looks better doing it. Apples and oranges.

If he doesnt play this week I may actually implode
People need to temper their expectations. Coming off a patella injury and has a slight frame. He’s not going to suddenly come in and be better then Frederick, who’s not even that bad. If Henry has the pace and smarts, then that’s great. Henry looks great against boys. He ll come in against men, having played limited scratch match minutes. Huge jump. Would like him to have Colyer playing, so he could have limited time on ground and get used to the tempo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back