Yeo isn't playing midfield

Sheed -> Clark
Yeo -> Foley/Nelson
Petrucelle -> SPS
Rioli -> Winder
Jones -> Nelson/Foley
McGovern -> Edwards
Bazzo -> Witherden

Can we stop complaining that Yeo is replacing Clark? If anything it's Sheed who's taken his place after 3 weeks in the WAFL first to earn his spot.

Yeo and Jones are replacing Foley and Nelson's roles, surely we can agree that's a good thing given the form of the latter?

Based on that, I think Petch over Clark should be the decision people are complaining about.

Don’t think Petch did enough in the WAFL to be recalled, the MC could have played an extra mid and rotated Shuey/Clark/West/Sheed through the forward line.

Based on that, I think Petch over Clark should be the decision people are complaining about.

Don’t think Petch did enough in the WAFL to be recalled, the MC could have played an extra mid and rotated Shuey/Clark/West/Sheed through the forward line.

If Ryan wasn't ill, he would have been in there instead of Petch you feel

Gaff deosn't get his own ball. Someone else gives it to him... 35 times a game.
If Petruccelle was given the ball 35 times a game he might actually do something damaging with it.

Difference is Gaff knows where to go to get and get giving then ball. Petch has as much idea as a headless chook as to where to go to get the ball…

I went To the game last week and thought Petch was one of our better players? Was way ahead of Ryan on effort that’s for sure.

Am genuinely perplexed at the complaining going on in here at the moment.

The team looks a lot better on paper with these changes as well as meeting the selection criteria most of us would have for the rest of 2022.
  • Nelson & Witherden out can only be a good thing. The former is a turnip and the latter's deficiencies have been on show all year.
  • Bazzo in exposes another kid to league footy.
  • HEdwards has regressed this year. Some WAFL time is well deserved.
  • Winder not AFL standard. Got a sniff and showed very little. Now needs to win his spot back if he wants to prove he deserves a spot on our list.
  • Naish, after a good start to the year, has massively dropped off.
  • Foley a bit inconsistent. Expect him to be in and out as his game matures.

The ins, some deserved and some arguably not. But the cupboard is bare and the alternative is keeping the "outs" in for another week. Who does that benefit?

I mentioned it before and admittedly, its a very left field idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing an underdone Yeo playing center half forward. He is great overhead, excellent one on one, and has a good kick. Darling to play out wider on the half forward flank because he is more mobile and the fitter of the pair atm

I also dont put a lot of stock in how efficiency and clangers are measured. Now admittedly I have seen very little of the past 4 WC games for various reasons, but what I did see of Witho earlier in the season is an abnormally high number of dinky short kicks fall short of their target. So not a direct turn over as it was usually close enough to the target for them to pick up the ball just in time to get tackled and either spill it or get pinged HTB. A number of these resulted in opposition goals but I have no doubt they would not be recorded against Witherden.
I reckon its in his head, as it is always the short passes that bring him undone. He has got a good kick but needs the freedom to use long kicks to players up the ground, not short 15m kicks because we have 18 players in the D50. I suspect when we finally get some form and a game plan that has some structure forward of the ball (which could still be a year or 2 away) then he may become a pretty good offensive weapon. If that doesn't happen then he can GTFO as he will never be a defensive weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witherden's dispoals, effictiveness and meters gained stats are often padded by playing on from a healthy number of kick ins.

Witherden is an good player but more than happy to be giving experience to Hough/Bazzo and trying more dynamic players like Yeo/Jones to try to get some better ball movement out of our back line rather than stick with what isnt working.

Happy with the changes but would have rathered Yeo had another WAFL match and Clark over Redden though.
I was right with you until 'Clark over Redden'. I get that they are similar players but Redden was one of our best in the last game and our second best mid across the season (faint praise I know).

I mentioned it before and admittedly, its a very left field idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing an underdone Yeo playing center half forward. He is great overhead, excellent one on one, and has a good kick. Darling to play out wider on the half forward flank because he is more mobile and the fitter of the pair atm

I'm not so sure about that, I hear a lot of talk on here regarding Yeo's overhead ability being stunted since his OP issues. Can't say I've seen that on the field yet, but he's also barely played. Perhaps someone else can chime in regarding this. Personally, I'd much rather he return to half back to give us a bit of explosive run, also he has a booming kick. He tackles like a beast. It's what we're lacking back there, and gives some younger players a go in the midfield before we make some big list decisions at years end.

Looking forward to watching the credits in the bank crew phone in another half assed performance and collect a full paycheck.

Then Simmo will tell us about synergy and what we learned from the same s**t we’ve been watching for the last 2 and a bit seasons.

At least with guys like Clark etc playing in the side, we get to develop them and see what they offer, however, they need to played in their drafted position, not in some completely different spot and then dropped when they don’t automatically dominate. I don’t know why our club insists on drafting people and then playing them in a spot other than what got them drafted. It’s ******* insanity.

I was right with you until 'Clark over Redden'. I get that they are similar players but Redden was one of our best in the last game and our second best mid across the season (faint praise I know).

Yep, your probably right, I'd like to have seen Clark retained but not sure who else would come out instead.

Hell yeah I'd love to see him play wing all year with a license to pretend he's Peter Matera. He might stink it up, but if there's one upside to being this bad it's the opportunity to take a few risks and find out what these guys can do (or not).
Mate you can’t have him in midfield/wing he butches the ball never slows to steady with his kicks.

Am genuinely perplexed at the complaining going on in here at the moment.

The team looks a lot better on paper with these changes as well as meeting the selection criteria most of us would have for the rest of 2022.
  • Nelson & Witherden out can only be a good thing. The former is a turnip and the latter's deficiencies have been on show all year.
  • Bazzo in exposes another kid to league footy.
  • HEdwards has regressed this year. Some WAFL time is well deserved.
  • Winder not AFL standard. Got a sniff and showed very little. Now needs to win his spot back if he wants to prove he deserves a spot on our list.
  • Naish, after a good start to the year, has massively dropped off.
  • Foley a bit inconsistent. Expect him to be in and out as his game matures.

The ins, some deserved and some arguably not. But the cupboard is bare and the alternative is keeping the "outs" in for another week. Who does that benefit?
Agree with all of this. I would have liked Clark to stay in however and Naish backed in a bit further up the ground.

For those making an argument of Witherden stat-padding as a result of taking kick-ins - he is averaging just 4 disposals a game this season from that source.

Or to put it another way, only 1 in 6 of his disposals have been from a kick-in.
The thing is that Witho has had a lot longer playing that role, we know what he can do. JJ is relatively new at it. Yes he can look lossed down there but my hope is with more time/experience, maybe we can get a Jason Johannisen type out of it. JJ to JJ if you will. :) Should have a higher ceiling if developed properly in that role. (Yes - That word scares me too)

You're a lucky man Hamstring, a very lucky man.
Good luck is good management😉
Honestly but, I could have moved a few things around to have caught at least 2 of those games but I've seen enough to know that my time was better spent.

Anyway, I have a big Saturday planned this coming weekend of dragging my scrotum across fields of glass before bathing them in a vinegar/habanero mix so probably miss this one against the Cats sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back