Prediction Changes: Round 14 Vs Giants + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Banfield being best 22 explains why we're best 22, that's totally why. Couldn't possibly be playing Hughes out of position for the first 5 weeks, having blind faith in Henry, not playing Amiss in Round One, taking JL's sweet ass time to sub Walters on not once but twice.

Ps - Banners average less touches as a forward than he did as a midfielder is fairly commonsense.
I dont think you'll get him defending JL so you're probably preaching to the choir there

Gonna have to disagree there. The coach made the moves necessary that almost resulted in a comeback. It was the small things. Shultz missing, Cox kicking off the side of his boot etc. All that goes when your team is older and more experienced and knows what each other will do because they've played together as a unit long enough.
Cox has played 94 games, how many more does he need to be experienced? And that's fine to disagree but I wouldn't say coaching got us back in that game.

I dont think you'll get him defending JL so you're probably preaching to the choir there
I blame him and the match committee for trying the same thing over and over again. I don't blame him for some players deciding they don't want to play, but then blame him for picking said players again.

Cox has played 94 games, how many more does he need to be experienced? And that's fine to disagree but I wouldn't say coaching got us back in that game.
Agree to disagree then, Cox was just an example of the players around him not knowing what he was going to do. The half back line.

This is the core issue with JL and the match committee that I have. They rarely go beyond the norm with player selections despite now being 6-6 with the majority of the team the same. There's no dare. Banfield does what exactly? Sturt show more promise. Henry? Get in someone who actually has desire.
Banfield shat me as much as anyone but he played four very good games in a row before last week. Simply had to stay in.

Sturt is likely to be the sub, so he's still getting half a game.

Which is a bad call IMO, the sub should always be a running type, covers a lot more bases and makes a more tangible impact when injected into the game. Remember when we had Corbett as sub and the coaches felt they had to sub out a KPF to match that, and Amiss came off just after kicking a goal. So clunky.

Erasmus/Worner would be ideal right now.

It just really bothers me how Erasmus has been developed so far at the club. All last year too. Tossed around getting an odd game here and there or worse - being a regular sub. In for one game - drops for 3 then back in again.
How’s he meant to build consistency in his footy? If Sturt is indeed the sub that’s another weekend of footy gone for Ras.
Even if he is the sub - coming in 5 min before the end of Q3 isn’t ideal for an inexperienced 19 year old. A player like Brodie when he’s fit is an ideal sub, experienced and capable of making an impact immediately upon introduction in the midfield.

I want to see him ply 5-6 AFL games in a row, and rotate him between half forward and midfield. We heard Treacy this week speak (very well too) in an interview about how massive it has been for him to find the trust of the coaches and be backed in multiple weeks in a row, instead of constantly looking over his shoulder.

The fact is we NEED Neil Erasmus to become a high quality AFL player in order to win a flag in future. It’s as simple as that. We have a rubbish draft hand this year and limited scope to improve the list other than organic growth from within.

It just really bothers me how Erasmus has been developed so far at the club. All last year too. Tossed around getting an odd game here and there or worse - being a regular sub. In for one game - drops for 3 then back in again.
How’s he meant to build consistency in his footy? If Sturt is indeed the sub that’s another weekend of footy gone for Ras.
Even if he is the sub - coming in 5 min before the end of Q3 isn’t ideal for an inexperienced 19 year old. A player like Brodie when he’s fit is an ideal sub, experienced and capable of making an impact immediately upon introduction in the midfield.

I want to see him ply 5-6 AFL games in a row, and rotate him between half forward and midfield. We heard Treacy this week speak (very well too) in an interview about how massive it has been for him to find the trust of the coaches and be backed in multiple weeks in a row, instead of constantly looking over his shoulder.

The fact is we NEED Neil Erasmus to become a high quality AFL player in order to win a flag in future. It’s as simple as that. We have a rubbish draft hand this year and limited scope to improve the list other than organic growth from within.
Who is he going to replace?

As someone who watches Peel, I still think Erasmus has quite a bit to work on at WAFL level

He doesn't burst through packs at that level yet, I don't mind him taking a bit longer

Johnson is different to me, last year at Peel I remember getting very excited about Johnson while others were excited about Ras, Johnson had that burst out of a pack that Ras doesn't do often enough (and Johnson's kicking has always been great)

Ras has nailed finding the footy though thats for sure, but taking metres and hitting targets are two things that he still needs to work on, I don't mind it happening at Peel for now, it's not like Ras is a forward who is dependant on other players, he can improve his game even when Peel as a team isn't performing

As someone who watches Peel, I still think Erasmus has quite a bit to work on at WAFL level

He doesn't burst through packs at that level yet, I don't mind him taking a bit longer

Johnson is different to me, last year at Peel I remember getting very excited about Johnson while others were excited about Ras, Johnson had that burst out of a pack that Ras doesn't do often enough (and Johnson's kicking has always been great)

Ras has nailed finding the footy though thats for sure, but taking metres and hitting targets are two things that he still needs to work on, I don't mind it happening at Peel for now, it's not like Ras is a forward who is dependant on other players, he can improve his game even when Peel as a team isn't performing
Barring injury Erasmus will play a lot of footy for us I reckon. He can play.

Comparing him to Johnson isn't far though. MJ's a level above. I still don't understand how we got him at 21. Always looked a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you put too much thought into this before typing all that out . Don't think you should be comparing banners to schulz, switta or rick. You think any of them could play third tall if needed?

Just like saying bring in Wilson for cox

Worst game by a player since round 1 1995 lol you must have rewatched every game prior to posting that
You didn't even read the post he was responding to, did you?

He’s not getting a decent run at it.
Everything pints to delistment.

Half forward is a position that we desperately need to fill. He has some talent.

We need him to develop into that Fritsch type.
give up, sometimes it just doesn't work out...we need to move on, they gave it a crack.

He’s played 9 games?
And he's in his 5th season, and Banfield (who's still a fringe player really) has been better than him at like almost everything this season.

He's clearly not good enough to be in Freo's best 22, and we have other players that are more appropriate for us to invest in. If he's gonna make it, it has to be at a team where he can play 5 mediocre games and still stay in the team. A team like Carlton seems like a good fit for him: with any luck him, Acres and Cerra can start a support group of ex-Dockers who are playing alright at Carlton but are being let down by their overpaid "stars".

And he's in his 5th season, and Banfield (who's still a fringe player really) has been better than him at like almost everything this season.

He's clearly not good enough to be in Freo's best 22, and we have other players that are more appropriate for us to invest in. If he's gonna make it, it has to be at a team where he can play 5 mediocre games and still stay in the team. A team like Carlton seems like a good fit for him: with any luck him, Acres and Cerra can start a support group of ex-Dockers who are playing alright at Carlton but are being let down by their overpaid "stars".
Banna's got 50 games of being allowed to be mediocre. Can you spot the difference?

Banna's got 50 games of being allowed to be mediocre. Can you spot the difference?
Yes: timing. Until 2022, game time for young players was handed out on a silver platter coz we weren't good enough. Look at Liam Henry: he got 17 games in 2021 because a couple highlights a game at the time was enough for him to keep a spot coz potential. He's a better player now than he was in 2021, but game time is harder to come by because while he got a bit better, the team got much better. And that's for a dude competing for a spot on the wing, arguably our weakest position this season.

Sturt obviously would've got to 50 games if he stayed fit in 2020 and 2021 especially: in those 2 seasons he walks into the team on pure talent (plus in his few WAFL games in 2021 he killed it). But he didn't, and in that time Schultz, Freddy, Switta and Banfield all got better. (As a side note I also think the injuries have taken away some of that explosiveness that Sturt had).

We're currently not even fitting in a top 10 pick midfielder in 2021 who has played well in the WAFL and equipped himself well in his AFL games this season. Where do you think that leaves Sturt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back