Prediction Changes: Round 15 Vs Essendon + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

While it makes sense, I'll have a mini rant, Banfield does not deserve that sub spot he's going to get and should be playing a few games of Peel to get back to form. Should have been a reason to give a debutant like Worner or Emmett a run

Is Banners confirmed as the sub? If not, why are you ranting?

Worner is an emergency too, so he may well get the sub spot.

Emmett isn't good enough to be considered. He needs to do more at WAFL level.

"Mini-rant" and in the spirit of BF it's a mildly negative post. History says we would have heard if Worner is debuting by now and I disagree on Emmett, there is also no need to pull Corbett out for Banfield if he wasnt going to be the sub.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow

Banners brought into the squad makes it seem like he is in

Unless Corbett was injured at training? That's the only other reason we would swap the emergencies

A part of me wants Banfield to get placed into the Best 22 over Sturt just to see people lose their s**t here.

Would be entertaining as hell, better for the team? Probably not, but entertaining nonetheless.
Or if Banners ended up sub and Sturt got subbed out for him 😈 the meltdown to end all meltdowns based on what I've seen this past few days lol

I'm okay if Banners doesn't play this week with the rain coming. Then if we play poorly in the wet they can find other people to blame

Last edited:
"Mini-rant" and in the spirit of BF it's a mildly negative post. History says we would have heard if Worner is debuting by now and I disagree on Emmett, there is also no need to pull Corbett out for Banfield if he wasnt going to be the sub.

Yeah it's weird. I really want to know what the reason is for Corbett being pulled from the emergencies.

It legitimately feels like they specifically replaced him with Banfield with the intention of naming him. Unless they are just required to name a 4th emergency and his was the next on the list.

Of course you're highly likely to be right about Banners being sub.... eventually but I just don't see the point in ranting until it's actually 100% - I live in hope that Worner will get the gig.

What are you seeing from Emmett that I'm missing?

I'll be watching him closely over the next couple of weeks. I feel like Darcy back in the team makes Fyfe a more potent weapon through the middle.

Also, and I don't know how much credence you give this, the guys have said just having Fyfe out there lifts the midfields confidence. Could be a bit of a security blanket situation going on there which could be a problem in 2 years time.
Even if Fyfe’s presence does provide the reassurance they need, there’s no need to worry Hamann, as our young midfielders will outgrow their need for a security blanket by the time two years are up, like most youngsters do 😎

You would've thought that the team would name their emergencies with player niggles and injuries in mind. Freddy pulled up fine from the training session, it's unlikely he would've tweaked the ankle in a captains run when players don't even do anything in those. Which means if Freddy is a late out, then there would've been doubt on him playing since Thursday, when the teams were named. So they would've named their emergencies with that in mind. Surely Corbett is just injured? He looked like he had a very light session with all the other guys carrying something.

Of course you're highly likely to be right about Banners being sub.... eventually but I just don't see the point in ranting until it's actually 100% - I live in hope that Worner will get the gig.

What are you seeing from Emmett that I'm missing?
I see him as a bigger Schultz and he's going to provide a lot of energy. I think he could make a real impact as a sub and he's putting together a decent season at Peel. I wouldnt expect it to last long but want more guys at Peel getting rewarded for putting in the work and playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see him as a bigger Schultz and he's going to provide a lot of energy. I think he could make a real impact as a sub and he's putting together a decent season at Peel. I wouldnt expect it to last long but want more guys at Peel getting rewarded for putting in the work and playing well.
From what I've seen, his disposal in the forward 50 is switta/serong in the last couple weeks level. Other than that he's looked alright.

Yeah I don't know know. Maybe it's just me but it would feel really odd dropping a 2 time Brownlow medalist back to the WAFL. Who do you replace him with? Imagine being the guy who came in to replace him, be a bit of pressure to perform.
Ras could have been playing in his position. In a couple of weeks we could chop him out for Brodie.

I'm not seeing much of that. Small glimpses but lots of meh and some really poor footy too. I don't think he's doing anywhere near enough to put pressure on our AFL listed small - medium players, and that's saying something. Just to be super clear, not for your benefit but because I know this board, I'm not writing him off though - he deserves another year to see if he can get there.

I agree about Peel players getting rewarded for playing well, but the selectors have to take into consideration whether said players are better than what we've got at the top level. Wilson and Worner are easily our most accomplished Peel players and they can't push Clark or Walker out because they're no better, although I sense that Worner is very close. No one else at WAFL is even close to knocking the door down imo.

I'm not seeing much of that. Small glimpses but lots of meh and some really poor footy too. I don't think he's doing anywhere near enough to put pressure on our AFL listed small - medium players, and that's saying something. Just to be super clear, not for your benefit but because I know this board, I'm not writing him off though - he deserves another year to see if he can get there.

I agree about Peel players getting rewarded for playing well, but the selectors have to take into consideration whether said players are better than what we've got at the top level. Wilson and Worner are easily our most accomplished Peel players and they can't push Clark or Walker out because they're no better, although I sense that Worner is very close. No one else at WAFL is even close to knocking the door down imo.
I remember Walker coming in to the AFL side off some very ordinary peel form and looking a completely different player.
We have also seen guys tearing it up at state league level and look completely out of their depth at the higher level.
All I know is that when a team sits as a bottom 6 side in the AFL like we are in 2023, at round 14, there should be no conservatism at selection if there’s a borderline call between a WAFL player and an underperforming AFL player - pick the WAFL guy especially if it’s a young up and coming player.

Would like to know if Switta has the running capacity to take a wing.
It terms of the repeat distance running they do in preseason then I'd say the answer is yes. He'd be in the group just behind the top 10-12 with the likes of Hughes and Clark. In my opinion he''s worth a try on Zach Merret at least part of the rotation playing on him anyway.

I remember Walker coming in to the AFL side off some very ordinary peel form and looking a completely different player.
We have also seen guys tearing it up at state league level and look completely out of their depth at the higher level.
All I know is that when a team sits as a bottom 6 side in the AFL like we are in 2023, at round 14, there should be no conservatism at selection if there’s a borderline call between a WAFL player and an underperforming AFL player - pick the WAFL guy especially if it’s a young up and coming player.

And then everyone on here and more importantly, in the real world where most supporters are, would be melting about us getting flogged every week.

As you pointed out in your post, most can't handle the raise to AFL level so why would we be reckless by picking players that aren't any better than the ones we've got and in fact aren't close to being AFL level. We're still in a success based industry despite being bottom 6 14 rounds in. There's membership and sponsorship to consider as well the confidence of the players being played before they're ready. In a season where we're young and inexperienced by AFL standards and have very little depth, we're (the selectors) are getting it mostly right.

I can't agree with your strategy at all, and I'm glad our club doesn't either.

Btw, Walker was playing well in the WAFL when he made his debut and instantly played well at AFL level, so the selectors got it right, they knew he was most likely up to it. They then had that knowledge (that he can handle AFL level) when assessing his return to that level, which was, btw, good.

Peel are close to the best side in the WAFL, I’m not sure what you need for someone to push out guys not performing at AFL but it feels a very high bar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back