Prediction Changes: Round 18 Vs Bulldogs + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Yeah, his kicking is a little off atm but he still moves in that beautiful Stephen Hill Way, sidestepping, bouncing and leaping like a gazelle through congestion, and I've actually been surprised with some of his defensive efforts, getting spoils in and pumping for a ground ball. I remember I think 2018 when we played Richmond at the G and he was in the backline, he got spanked on the lead so the fact that he's now a proficient defender shows he's still improving. At the start of this season I thought it'd be his last but he could easily have a couple of golden years to see out his career.

A good off season will freshen Hill’s body. His experience is a valuable asset.

His role in the team has changed, a lot of us are expecting to see the long runs along the wing with a bounce or two, then a spearing 50 metre kick. Times have changed and his role is to provide a “wise head” in the backline.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
I don’t consider myself the sentimental type, if a player looks cooked you let him go. If Stephen Hill put up another performance alas Carlton game I would say drop him out of our best 22 but he’s progressing well. He took the game on and botched a few disposals against North but it was his best game for us this year. He’s slowly getting the Ross Lyon weened out of him.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I agree Hill's current predicament is not his fault and he has perfectly valid excuses for not being able to perform consistently. But success in literally anything requires a bit of pragmatism. Life isn't fair and we should definitely look after Hill post footy because yeah we screwed him, but the only questions that are ever relevant when picking a best 22 is 1. What do they provide for the team now and 2. What may they provide down the line when we're competing. I'll only be onboard personally if Hill satisfies either of these premises but we don't have to agree it's all good. I do love Hill and it would make me happy to be proved wrong.
I think we enter 2021 with the clear expectation that we play finals. In that context players like Hill are incredibly valuable.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It is a short completely not-normal season where we are finishing strongly, lets finish the season on a significant high by having three wins in a row - no changes unless there are some injury concerns. If Mundy or Hill are thinking about pulling the plug, then we have also given the them the best chance of finishing on a relative high as well.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Re Stephen Hill. I think he has another year in him. If things aren’t going well, he has the option of hanging up his boots at any time during the season.
One thing that did peeve me yesterday was watching him steam through the middle at full tilt, get to 55, then kick to the ‘hot spot’. Stephen Hill of old would have roosted the ball straight through the middle. He should have backed himself imo.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
We wont be playing finals but this may as well be treated as one if i was Freo anyway with it being the last game in preparation for next year. As most likely the dogs will have to beat us to get in and it will have the elimination final type feeling anyway.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Maybe it's the effects of our S & C team that needs to be weaned out of him.

I just rewatched this game recently, forgot how awesome Michael Barlow was with 3 goals and why was Lachie Neale relegated to emergency sub after this game?

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just rewatched this game recently, forgot how awesome Michael Barlow was with 3 goals and why was Lachie Neale relegated to emergency sub after this game?

Barlow will go down as one of my favourite Dockers ever. Love him to death.

Neale being a sub I think every man and his dog (including Ross Lyon) know was a mistake to have as a sub.

From memory it was team balance?

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Barlow will go down as one of my favourite Dockers ever. Love him to death.

Neale being a sub I think every man and his dog (including Ross Lyon) know was a mistake to have as a sub.

From memory it was team balance?
Yeah, Lyon admitted he made a mistake in that Triple M interview he did recently. He said he started Matt de Boer instead because he was a senior player, which ironically reinforces those negative views around him regarding his inflexibility with team selections and playing youth on merit.

He didn't pick the team with the best chance of winning the Grand Final, he picked the team on rank.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Yeah, Lyon admitted he made a mistake in that Triple M interview he did recently. He said he started Matt de Boer instead because he was a senior player, which ironically reinforces those negative views around him regarding his inflexibility with team selections and playing youth on merit.

He didn't pick the team with the best chance of winning the Grand Final, he picked the team on rank.
De Boer was fine. At the time it wasn’t on rank. But balance. The team we had was good enough. Neale shouldn’t have be sub. Someone like Sutcliffe should’ve. Clarke was needed due to height, he had a mare though.
Neale was a two year player at the time. But he did played really well during the finals series though. Always an if, given how great he is now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I’ve often wondered if maybe, for even a millisecond, the whole ball had actually crossed the line before he grabbed it... no clear angle to see it exactly. I believe, however, that destiny prevailed on the day either way. 😍

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always amusing to see how those who wanted Hogan in, are using more or less the same arguments to explain why they want Hill dropped.

Always amusing to see how those who wanted Hogan in, are using more or less the same arguments to explain why they want Hill dropped.

I don't get why we would be dropping him?

We have been desperate to see him string some footy together for 3 years, now he finally is we are calling for his head? I actually thought he played well on the weekend.
He has clearly lost a step of pace which i don't think the rest of his game has caught up with yet but hes going to be extremely valuable next year if he can stay fit.
And not to mention his defensive efforts have been low key underrated since he returned.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't get why we would be dropping him?

We have been desperate to see him string some footy together for 3 years, now he finally is we are calling for his head? I actually thought he played well on the weekend.
He has clearly lost a step of pace which i don't think the rest of his game has caught up with yet but hes going to be extremely valuable next year if he can stay fit.
And not to mention his defensive efforts have been low key underrated since he returned.
his name is ben the donkey for a reason lmao

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are talking about a 25yo who has shown he can transform an area of our game we have the biggest weakness in versus a 30yo who is a playing a role in which we have a fair bit of depth available.

Hogan could be a key part of a future premiership. Will Hill still be around? I'm happy we've given Hill a chance to build and thought he was really good defensively on the weekend. I get why people are questioning why we might give a youngster a chance instead though.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm on the fence with Hill. Massive fan of his best and he is not that old but he's played a a fair few games and still looks miles off his old self.

Pending lists not getting cut to ridiculous sizes I think he should stay, but I don't think he can be an automatic selection anymore until he shows he is still a quality player. Hopefully gets a full preseason as that would make a big difference I suspect.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

With Hill it's a debate of experience and leadership or the development of a younger player. I've taken the less popular position because I think our young players are self driven and confident already that Hill is not really needed. But doesn't actually bother me which choice we make it's apples or oranges but I doubt that if we do actually win a flag on grand final day Hill won't be there, while Hogan could be the difference. Completely different situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back