Prediction Changes: Round 18 Vs Bulldogs + pre-match discussion

The tennis authorities wanted to keep her as the #1 ranked player while they waited for her to get back from being stabbed but all but one of her opponents voted against it.

Grubby stuff all around.

I like to think that if someone tried to stab Fyfe that they would get worse than the Andrew Symonds bump.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
**** time flies, doesn't seem that long ago Hill was some skinny lad debuting and the future, now he's a veteran in the twilight of his career.
I knew from that day stephen hill his debut game, he would be a 200 gamer for us.

Amazing they he played 89 games in his 1st 4 years.

Last edited:

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saying that, I want meek and valente to play this week. Possibly north.

Is resting Lobb or Darcy possible for meek to get a game this week to see what he can do?
I don't see Meek getting a game unless Darcy is injured.
Darcy has been playing some really good games recently can't see him dropped and i prefer to pump maximum games into him.
I still think Meek has shown enough in the 2's to be kept on as depth.

Valente i would like to see too but i don't think he gets in unless they rest Serong.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great I was waiting for someone to turn the thread to the actual game! Dogs have everything to play for so i suspect if we dont put them away early they will be very very hard to hold off in the last quarter. This is one of our biggest tests and its unfortunate the gametime isnt middle of the day. A team that plays a nice fast style of play but I think we will match well with how our defence has been purring along. Their mids are good and Caleb Daniels ball use is sublime. This is what we are up against:

View attachment 961094

So what are those stats based on?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I've heard more than one sports scientist say that Hill is too muscular and heavy to achieve that magnificent outside run.

30 year Olds can still fly pretty fast. Weber beefed him up to shake the tag, but it backfired and caused him to break down all the time. There's no point breaking a tag if you can't get out of second gear.

I could be talking crap but I think of he slims down a hit we will see a much improved Hill next year.
100%. Haven’t got the mix right, beefed him up far too much too soon. Body can only take so much. Played 200 games straight out of the draft as a 18 year old 68kg kid.
Look at his brother. Significantly trim and runs all day. Don’t really care for his denfesive work. Both never should be known for that.
Hill is a product of Ross’ demanding and high effort defensive gameplan. He was great in that role but now his upper body is straining his lower. Not surprised that most of Ross’ list have recurrent issues with muscular/soft tissue over the years. JLo probably has a less demanding more structural gameplan that sets up the team perfectly.
Hopefully Stephen gets a chance, trims down a bit and comes out with less bulk next season. Needs to lose 5kg tbh. Prolongs his career that way

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I knew from that day stephen hill his debut game, he would be a 200 gamer for us.

Amazing they he played 89 games in his 1st 4 years.
That’s probably the short term gain for the long term misery of late for him. His development and body changes was rapid. 100 games within 4/5 years. Insane.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
100%. Haven’t got the mix right, beefed him up far too much too soon. Body can only take so much. Played 200 games straight out of the draft as a 18 year old 68kg kid.
Look at his brother. Significantly trim and runs all day. Don’t really care for his denfesive work. Both never should be known for that.
Hill is a product of Ross’ demanding and high effort defensive gameplan. He was great in that role but now his upper body is straining his lower. Not surprised that most of Ross’ list have recurrent issues with muscular/soft tissue over the years. JLo probably has a less demanding more structural gameplan that sets up the team perfectly.
Hopefully Stephen gets a chance, trims down a bit and comes out with less bulk next season. Needs to lose 5kg tbh. Prolongs his career that way
Seems like the freo trainers and development coaches tried to bulk him up to play like chris Judd. Mark Harvey coached hill for the 1st 3 seasons.

Played all 22 games in 2009, his debut season.

Played 23 outof 24 games in 2010 the year we made the semis. 22 normal games and 2 finals.

Played All 22 games in 2011. Remarkable considering everyone was dropping like flies around him as players were injured late in the season.

That’s probably the short term gain for the long term misery of late for him. His development and body changes was rapid. 100 games within 4/5 years. Insane.
Yeah was crazy he played 89 games in his 1st 4 years as I mentioned. He played 67 out of a possible 68 games under Mark Harvey from 2009-11. Maybe Harvey gave him some lee way in the development end as he was only 68 kg when he started.

Ross Lyons methods was different obviously. You wonder what would of been If Ross Lyon changed his ways to make Stephen Hill a different player. Just focus on his pace rather then let him try to bulk up rapidly.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great I was waiting for someone to turn the thread to the actual game! Dogs have everything to play for so i suspect if we dont put them away early they will be very very hard to hold off in the last quarter. This is one of our biggest tests and its unfortunate the gametime isnt middle of the day. A team that plays a nice fast style of play but I think we will match well with how our defence has been purring along. Their mids are good and Caleb Daniels ball use is sublime. This is what we are up against:

View attachment 961094

The Bulldogs midfield is crazy stacked, it makes you wonder why they haven't won more games. Then you look at their forwards and defence, that's where they are lacking. Best midfield group in the comp though. It's a strange list profile.

I agree with having Schultz/Crowden go to Daniel who creates a lot of their play from half back. I think we can definitely expose them down back with Lobb, Tabs and Hogan on a dry day. That's if we can get it in there enough, I'm looking forward to seeing how Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong can handle the Dog's mids. Interesting game, they probably need to win to make finals but we'll be attacking it hard to end the season with momentum. I think this game has always been won by the home team for the past 5 years or so, I can see this going right to the wire on neutral ground.

Cox out, Logue in.
I'd rather play them both.

Unless the ink is wet on Cox's new deal before Logue takes his spot, the message it sends to Brennan is that the first player fit kicked him out of the position he made his own during the season and there are two even more experienced players to come back.

I think the side actually needs Logue as a key defender alongside Cox.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
I'd rather play them both.

Unless the ink is wet on Cox's new deal before Logue takes his spot, the message it sends to Brennan is that the first player fit kicked him out of the position he made his own during the season and there are two even more experienced players to come back.

I think the side actually needs Logue as a key defender alongside Cox.
I was replying to the post that indicated Cox may have a slight injury. Nothing to do with dropping Cox.

Back