Preview Changes Round 2 - v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Really the Hibberd omission is about 12 months in the making, he was pretty damn bad last year too.

Not sure why Hunt is in the side and where he will play, last chance for him this year IMO
Hunt was pretty decent last year to be fair

Hibberd has been pretty awful for 12 months

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Really the Hibberd omission is about 12 months in the making, he was pretty damn bad last year too.

Not sure why Hunt is in the side and where he will play, last chance for him this year IMO
Hunt is a strange one. I hope Smith plays forward. Lots of changes. Not opposed to most of the changes though..

He played a role up forward but I really feel if we're to go anywhere he won't be in the side. Hope he proves me wrong obviously but just don't think he has the footy IQ up forward.
I think you might be underrating his season last year to be honest, at least with context. He kicked a goal a game, nobody did better, and only 3 guys did the same - Trac 22 from 22, Weid 11 from 11 and Tim Smith 7 from 7.

Very pleased that Hibberd is out (sorry Hib), bit disappointed they've dropped Lockhart who was looking really good in defence in defence and wtf is Hunt doing in ahead of Weideman?
Agree. I love Hib at his best, but he hasn’t shown it for a bit now. Hunt is a bit mystifying.

I think you might be underrating his season last year to be honest, at least with context. He kicked a goal a game, nobody did better, and only 3 guys did the same - Trac 22 from 22, Weid 11 from 11 and Tim Smith 7 from 7.
This is true. I thought Hunt improved once given a role he is more comfortable with

7 changes from Round 1. Hunt, Joel Smith, Jones, Salem, Bennell, Rivers and Jackson in.
ANB, OMac, Hibberd, Lockhart, Bedford, Spargo and Mitch Brown all dropped.

Happy about ANB and OMac out. Don’t want to sink the boots into Hibbo after all he’s been through, but 100% the correct call there too. Hunt in is a surprise.
Hibberd... WTF? I can only assume that his fitness wasn't where it needs to be, which is understandable. Still....

Great to see Hunt back in. Belongs on the wing where he can gain meters and apply pressure. Hopefully he's learned to slow his steps before he kicks. I'm told it takes some practise... and he's had a bit of time.

Pretty happy they've kept Bedford in the side too. Makes for an exciting forward line.

Edit. Wrong about Bedford.... it's a long list!

Lockhart stiff. Otherwise I like it. We're being bold and trying different things.

Team pretty much full strength anyway with Salem and Jones back in.

Great to see JJ listed in the emergencies too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game will be determined by how we move the ball, if we bomb it in carelessly like usual we are fu**ed, not playing anyone who can clunk a contested pack mark, and only crumbing small forward playing is kozzy. Not sure why hunt was picked, i'd have weideman in for him otherwise I don't mind the changes.

Not that i rate him highly but i still think we should have played Oscar, Considering Car are going to play 3 key Fwds don't like the idea of Lever playing as a key back. Also means Smith or a HBF has to play on one of there talls.

Hibberd... WTF? I can only assume that his fitness wasn't where it needs to be, which is understandable. Still....

Great to see Hunt back in. Belongs on the wing where he can gain meters and apply pressure. Hopefully he's learned to slow his steps before he kicks. I'm told it takes some practise... and he's had a bit of time.

Pretty happy they've kept Bedford in the side too. Makes for an exciting forward line.

Edit. Wrong about Bedford.... it's a long list!
Nah mate, I signed up to Kayo Sports today and was testing out its quality by watching snippets of the West Coast game. Hibberd was absolutely shocking that day. He loves a bomb to nobody. Has for a long time now.

Not that i rate him highly but i still think we should have played Oscar, Considering Car are going to play 3 key Fwds don't like the idea of Lever playing as a key back. Also means Smith or a HBF has to play on one of there talls.

I'm very curious about your changes/selections.

We have Cas & McKay as genuinely big KPFs...both 200cm+. We also have marking support in McGovern & Silvagni.
I'm assuming May takes Casboult & Lever takes McKay...who takes McGovern & Silvagni? I understand O.McDonald being omitted though as quite frankly he doesn't seem very good (happy to be corrected).

It looks to me like you're looking to exploit us with speed on a fast Marvel deck, going with a smaller team and injecting speed with Bennell, Pickett & Hunt.
We will be looking to exploit our height advantage.

Up forward, isn't Jackson known more for his ruck work or is he a decent KPF? Big ask to be 2nd tall behind McDonald in his debut...so i assume Smith will play forward so Jackson becomes the 3rd tall in a way.

We know how talented Jackson & Pickett are and i could see a scenario where they cause us problems but I can also see a scenario where Melbourne's forward line doesn't function well with 2 debutant kids in it. 3 young debutants + Bennell is exciting but certainly a pretty sizable risk.

Pretty strong line-up I reckon.

I love the Hib, but he hasn't been great since 2018, just seems to bomb it long to nothing of late.

Stocked to see Bennell in the team, amazing comeback, hope he can kick a goal and the dees can get the win!

Casboult, McKay and McGovern kicked 15, 22 and 26 goals last year. We're not exactly going in against Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall in a State of Origin game, I think May, Lever and Smith will be fine with Tomlinson on hand if things get messy. With the Gawn v Pittonet match up we'll be hoping to starve the Blues of forward entries and they're about as bad as we are at bombing the ones they do get forward.

Also pray for Topkent when he sees that Hunt has been included. Guess it'll be good to see if he's improved after more training with the forwards and he's certainly a cult figure but I really would have preferred Weid, Hunt doesn't bring much that Weideman can't as a forward.

I'm very curious about your changes/selections.

We have Cas & McKay as genuinely big KPFs...both 200cm+. We also have marking support in McGovern & Silvagni.
I'm assuming May takes Casboult & Lever takes McKay...who takes McGovern & Silvagni? I understand O.McDonald being omitted though as quite frankly he doesn't seem very good (happy to be corrected).

It looks to me like you're looking to exploit us with speed on a fast Marvel deck, going with a smaller team and injecting speed with Bennell, Pickett & Hunt.
We will be looking to exploit our height advantage.

Up forward, isn't Jackson known more for his ruck work or is he a decent KPF? Big ask to be 2nd tall behind McDonald in his debut...so i assume Smith will play forward so Jackson becomes the 3rd tall in a way.

We know how talented Jackson & Pickett are and i could see a scenario where they cause us problems but I can also see a scenario where Melbourne's forward line doesn't function well with 2 debutant kids in it. 3 young debutants + Bennell is exciting but certainly a pretty sizable risk.
I think Smith will play on McGovern. Jackson will play forward & relieve Gawn in the ruck. Gawn will probably spend some time up forward as well. Fritsch plays a lot taller than he is & will most likely take Jones.

Would love to hear the logic behind Lockhart being dropped, also. Seems like they're pretty resolute on keeping Salem and Harmes in defence unless they're expecting Rivers to play one on one.

Geez I hope you get Bennell back on the field. He is just so absurdly talented. Can do anything and everything.

Fingers crossed his hammies hold up. Coz if they do, you have yourself a real game-breaker.

Far out, man.

When I said I wanted to see Bennell get back on the field, I didn't mean in time for THIS match. DOH!

But seriously, hope he plays well (and the rest of your squad plays poorly....)

:p

Hibberd dropped because his kicking inside 50 in round 1 was atrocious
WCE small forwards killed us, Lockhart wasn’t good defensively and kicking is unreliable.

Smith will play down back.

I think hunt will play forward, last year he was the only forward who looked like leading at the kicker. I dont subrsibe to the theory just because hunt is quick he should play on a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back