Preview Changes: Round 2 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless the player has a shocker, you don't drop them after 1 game if they have credits in the bank.

The thing with Lynchy is that he was mis-handling the ball in the JLT and he brought that into the season. He's not getting dropped on that, but I doubt he will want to still be doing it in 2-3 weeks.

We (fans and players) have a strong history dating right back to Round 1 1991 of getting over-excited about an early season home win.

Hopefully the insipid finals-Crows we sometimes see on the road or in big games is a thing of the past. An away win over the Hawks, however they're traveling, would provide a great amount of self belief.

The thing with Lynchy is that he was mis-handling the ball in the JLT and he brought that into the season. He's not getting dropped on that, but I doubt he will want to still be doing it in 2-3 weeks.
Sure, if Lynch is still struggling in a few weeks, then back to the sanfl to find form... but the regular good performers have enough credit points for more than a bad game or 2.

This year we should be using more of our depth. This means dropping players to find form in the sanfl & resting injured players & resting players who are jaded.

We (fans and players) have a strong history dating right back to Round 1 1991 of getting over-excited about an early season home win.

Hopefully the insipid finals-Crows we sometimes see on the road or in big games is a thing of the past. An away win over the Hawks, however they're traveling, would provide a great amount of self belief.

At least we're not as bad as port in that regard.. but you are 100% right there Mackay.

I think the problem is though that we get over-excited and then just expect it to happen. What we need to do is go 'we beat the premiership favorites.. that doesn't make the rest of the journey any easier but it sets the benchmark for what we demand of ourselves'

It needs to be a spur, not a crutch.

At least we're not as bad as port in that regard.. but you are 100% right there Mackay.

I think the problem is though that we get over-excited and then just expect it to happen. What we need to do is go 'we beat the premiership favorites.. that doesn't make the rest of the journey any easier but it sets the benchmark for what we demand of ourselves'

It needs to be a spur, not a crutch.

Probably. In recent history we haven't been that good at putting away top sides. GWS capitulated the was we did in the semi. There seems a different hardness about us on the weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gut running... Like Sloane was in the early days.
I don't disagree, but Sloane was alot more than gut running. He was a fierce one on one competitor and you could just about back him in to win every 50 50 contest.

Knight has more speed I reckon, but less physicality. He's more suited to slicing through a contest at speed than being in the trenches.

I don't disagree, but Sloane was alot more than gut running. He was a fierce one on one competitor and you could just about back him in to win every 50 50 contest.

Knight has more speed I reckon, but less physicality. He's more suited to slicing through a contest at speed than being in the trenches.
I was super impressed with his work in the packs. Didn't remember him being so good in tight. Did remind me of Sloane, the way he won the ball.

I agree with Patrick Dangerfield that JJ is our most important player.

I think JJ is our most expendable forward.

If I had a choice to lose JJ, McGovern, Tex, Cameron or Betts from our forward line it would be JJ without a second thought.

Knight is also fiercely competitive like Sloane. He will become more physical as his body matures.

I'm comparing them in the early years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had a choice to lose JJ, McGovern, Tex, Cameron or Betts from our forward line it would be JJ without a second thought.
Our forward line is a unit, what makes it great is the combination of dangerous players we have and the mismatches it creates.

No one can be ignored and everyone is multi dimensional.

Taking one piece out weakens it significantly and eases the pressure.

I know the result in the weekend suggest otherwise but I'd say our half back line and midfield were able to step up. Which is what needed to happen.

We have 4 mature 3rd tall defenders in the team and you reckon we should draft more?

More small defenders with pace yes. If Brown or Laird get injured, we're ****ed.

Even with the aforementioned two, each week a small forward seems to bob up and kick 3+ goals against us.

Knight is also fiercely competitive like Sloane. He will become more physical as his body matures.

I'm comparing them in the early years.
I think I agree. I guess what I'm saying is, in Sloanes early years, it was actually his physically, competitiveness and tackling that I noticed first.

His gut running was something I thought came after a few years in the afl system.

More small defenders with pace yes. If Brown or Laird get injured, we're ****ed.

Even with the aforementioned two, each week a small forward seems to bob up and kick 3+ goals against us.

Isn't Doedee going to be the backup there soon?

Who relieves sauce in the ruck?

Sure, if Lynch is still struggling in a few weeks, then back to the sanfl to find form... but the regular good performers have enough credit points for more than a bad game or 2.

This year we should be using more of our depth. This means dropping players to find form in the sanfl & resting injured players & resting players who are jaded.
in a normal scenario you'd be right, but this week we need to replace someone in the team with the captain who's a forward. I don't see why Lynch should be immune, apart from lighting it up in one quarter against Brisbane he's been a long way off his best - making a lot of second grabs at the ball, wouldn't kill him to play in the SANFL and give Hampton another go.

we know Lynch will be back to Lynch soon enough, his development won't be stunted by a run in the SANFL. Hampton and the other new faces need the continuity and chances early to see if they can take off at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back