Preview Changes: Round 2 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/brodie-smith-confirms-some-big-news-on-eddie-betts

Adelaide defender Brodie Smith has confirmed his teammate Eddie Betts will definitely play on Saturday against Hawthorn, erasing any doubt over his place in the side.Betts has been battling illness this week, missing a training session and putting his place in the side in jeopardy. Forward Troy Menzel has travelled over as an emergency.
But Smith quashed any doubt on Betts' place in the side, speaking on the Rush Hour with Jars and Louie on Friday. "Yes, he is (right to play)," he said on Triple M. "He trained today with the boys...he'll be down there causing havoc tomorrow." Betts starred last week in Adelaide's big win over GWS, kicking four goals. Smith did have a chuckle, noting Betts' illness was still having an impact. "I think a few of the boys avoided him (at training) a little bit, (they) don't wanna catch anything," he laughed. "I wouldn't have minded him on a different flight. "He's flown over, he's fine to go."

Sorry I'm not really going to take advice from someone that says "all season" after round 1.
Come to me in 5 rounds and tell me if he's still out of form, then I might actually listen.

Next point. Cameron Menzel Hampton Milera and Knight are apparently all better overhead than Tom Lynch, who averaged almost 7 marks a game.
Lynch is always under rated in here. He's had one slightly down game because he had attention which freed up others. He was awesome last year and is a big part of the deadliness of our forward line. I do agree that if we can also add in fast running midfielders penetrating the 50 like last week on a regular basis then we may be starting to head to record breaking scores.

Lynch is always under rated in here. He's had one slightly down game because he had attention which freed up others. He was awesome last year and is a big part of the deadliness of our forward line. I do agree that if we can also add in fast running midfielders penetrating the 50 like last week on a regular basis then we may be starting to head to record breaking scores.
Lynch isn't underrated. He's first choice 22 for everybody who posts here.

And it looks like Wigg not playing tonight, so maybe two emergencies travelling? I agree that there is good reason to be open to the very real possibility of a late change!

Standby for a few late outs guys. Wigg has received a call up supposedly(???) Jenkins is believed to be one of the 2 outs, so maybe Menzel replaces him?

Unsure who the other is, but maybe Laird/Brown if Wigg is getting the call.

Didn't Wigg play SANFL last night?

Sucks for this to be happening against the Hawks of all teams.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standby for a few late outs guys. Wigg has received a call up supposedly(???) Jenkins is believed to be one of the 2 outs, so maybe Menzel replaces him?

Where did you hear this?

Edit: Probably got it from 5AA, surely that's an April Fools prank

Crows never learn it seems.

Sorry - we take unfit players into a game and the club gets roasted. So we decide to NOT take unfit players in and we get roasted again.

Deep hypocrisy on this board.

Personally, I think giving him an extra game in the twos so he's cherry ripe is the right decision.

Sorry - we take unfit players into a game and the club gets roasted. So we decide to NOT take unfit players in and we get roasted again.

Deep hypocrisy on this board.

Personally, I think giving him an extra game in the twos so he's cherry ripe is the right decision.

Injured players, injured players.

There's fit to play, and there's fit to play. He's over his injury, so they could select him if they were desperate enough. However, last weekend was his first game for the season and Pyke clearly wanted all of his players to have 2 games under their belts before the real stuff began. Reviews of his game were mixed, suggesting that another gallop in the magoos was probably going to be in order.

They didn't choose Otten ahead of him on merit - they chose him because Lever isn't fully match fit just yet. Don't get your knickers in a knot, worrying pointlessly about some weird selection conspiracy that's happening only inside your head.

Come on mate, do you really still think your statements of fact carry any weight. If Otto goes ok again, they will not drop him. But they will drop Kelly, regardless of how he went or match ups. Simple fact is that inexperienced guys can be unlucky to miss at our club, but long term guys never are or have been. You must know that before a player with tenure gets dropped it's because their last month has been wholly painful to watch. But we have no issue dumping inexperienced guys and saying they're a bit unlucky. Wright, Dmac, VB, Reilly were never unlucky to be dropped. That's how we roll. Unless Otto has a stinker he will hold his place. It will be Kelly making way, regardless of form, match ups or balance.

I like Kelly as a defender, but at the same stage of his career, Hartigan was being labelled a spud for missing targets the same way Kelly was on the weekend.

Why is Kelly getting a free pass?

Harto wasn't missing targets as such. He made a few decision errors whilst being overly attacking that directly cost goals. Kelly is fine, the naysayers are clueless.

April 1. Wigg played last night. Wouldn't be backing up today.

Take JLT out completely. Totally irrelevant.

So he's had one bad game....one.

Cmon people...

It's only irrelevant if he plays well in the first week. Doesn't and it adds to the argument something isn't right.

So we dropping Tom Lynch after 31 touches 14 marks and a goal?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The stats mask some poor things that he did. I'm usually a big fan, but I was very dirty at him for both that miss, and his terrible defensive effort where he peeled off Roughhead (I think) to try to get easy back of the back ball, and didnt cover Vickery running into goal.

lol, up to you mate, sorry if using all season instead of the last three games has thrown you off there. I see you're not interested in the JLT, but when the form there carries over to the real stuff you can't just dismiss it.

not sure what taking chest marks on the wing has to do with being good overhead either. Perhaps I should have said cleaner hands instead as not to confuse things again. More accurate statement at any rate.

do you have anything to say about the changing dynamic of the team and how that effects Lynch's role now that the midfield can run as well? Fair enough if you wanted to straighten the other minor details out first, but I'm ready for a more compelling argument than "he was good last year" as to why Lynch is untouchable if you've got one.

And now you look like a moron. Thanks lynchy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The stats mask some poor things that he did. I'm usually a big fan, but I was very dirty at him for both that miss, and his terrible defensive effort where he peeled off Roughhead (I think) to try to get easy back of the back ball, and didnt cover Vickery running into goal.
Yes Roos pointed that out in the commentary ... but Lynch will only improve from here. Had a delayed pre-season didn't he?

Anyone writing off Lynch is underestimating his talent and work ethic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back