Preview Changes: Round 20 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we did well

I'm not saying that. I'm saying considering the state of the draft at that point, and we already had a safe first round picked it was worth going for who we reckoned was the best of the speculative prospects. Even with this pick wasted, we come out decently well from the 2015 draft as we gathered Milera who should make it as an outside midfielder and Greenwood, and Keath as cat B rookies.

It's a very minor blemish on what has been some very good recruiting from Hamish.

Himmelberg wasn't for McGovern, Himmelberg was added to Dear as part of the long term project to replace Walker and Jenkins when they retire, a project that is probably going to cycle through a good 6 or more candidates.
IMO Himmelberg's shown enough to me that he can play Jenkins' role quite well eventually. Dear, not so much

I'm not saying that. I'm saying considering the state of the draft at that point, and we already had a safe first round picked it was worth going for who we reckoned was the best of the speculative prospects. Even with this pick wasted, we come out decently well from the 2015 draft as we gathered Milera who should make it as an outside midfielder and Greenwood, and Keath as cat B rookies.

It's a very minor blemish on what has been some very good recruiting from Hamish.
Hamish has been great but this was a first rd pick he was speculative with.

Should we go through the list of players who have played a game in 2 years that were picked after Doedee.

He ****ed up.

Should we go through the list of players who have played a game in 2 years that were picked after Doedee.

He ****** up.

There was barely anyone decent taken after the Doedee pick, except Burton

He ****** up.

You can if you want, don't know what it'd prove mind you.

You say he ****ed up, I agreed with you but said this is nothing more than a minor blemish instead of this "super important" thing you've made it out to be.

And I still contend that Burton wouldn't have played a game for us.

It's our selection panel rather than our recruiters that have to answer for Doedee
Yeah I'd say that's true as well. He might only have gotten a game ahead of Otten as a forward when McGovern was injured. Maybe.

And I still contend that Burton wouldn't have played a game for us.

It's our selection panel rather than our recruiters that have to answer for Doedee

No they don't, we've prioritised youngsters who have shown they are up for the fight and are in a position of need.

McGovern was gifted a season last year.
Milera this season.

Doedees issue stems from he is fighting for one spot, and Kelly has taken his chance when his competition has fallen apart; Doedee doesn't injured during the offseason, and we're talking about Kelly being delisted this season. You give a sucker a break and they make the most of it.

Burton may have, may not, but he'd be equally trying to get into a side that's got a stacked forward line and defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they don't, we've prioritised youngsters who have shown they are up for the fight and are in a position of need.

McGovern was gifted a season last year.
Milera this season.

Doedees issue stems from he is fighting for one spot, and Kelly has taken his chance when his competition has fallen apart; Doedee doesn't injured during the offseason, and we're talking about Kelly being delisted this season. You give a sucker a break and they make the most of it.

Burton may have, may not, but he'd be equally trying to get into a side that's got a stacked forward line and defence.

Yeah we gifted seasons to guys who had less form in the SANFL than he has had.

Thank you for just strengthening my argument, that is DAMNING of our selectors.

Again you say that we would be delisting Kelly if he hadn't caught a lucky break. DAMNING of our selection mindset.

If we're delisting guys just because they don't get a lucky break we're ******* stupid.

We should be giving these guys chances at the top level before we decide their fate.

Yeah we gifted seasons to guys who had less form in the SANFL than he has had.

Thank you for just strengthening my argument, that is DAMNING of our selectors.

Again you say that we would be delisting Kelly if he hadn't caught a lucky break. DAMNING of our selection mindset.

If we're delisting guys just because they don't get a lucky break we're ******* stupid.

We should be giving these guys chances at the top level before we decide their fate.

Gifted because they project to be guns, and had a spot available to be blooded. You don't leave those who you rate to be A grade/blue chip/whatever languishing in the reserves. You're only question here is why don't we rate Doedee to be an A grade prospect?

You also can't predict development, someone who plays 10 games which Kelly did during 2014-2015 stretch, and loses his spot is pretty much on the delist pile; especially factoring in he wasn't a top prospect. He by luck has the competition falls around him, and gets a lifeline, and makes the most of it isn't damning at all, it's apart of footy. After all, Kelly is not the first person to have lifeline to save his career, and takes it as his first stint didn't do enough to be a regular.

Equally, by injuring himself at an inopportune time sees Doedee now either have to play very well to force Kelly out, or reinvent himself. If he fails, he's gone which is fair enough.

Gifted because they project to be guns, and had a spot available to be blooded. You don't leave those who you rate to be A grade/blue chip/whatever languishing in the reserves. You're only question here is why don't we rate Doedee to be an A grade prospect?

You also can't predict development, someone who plays 10 games which Kelly did during 2014-2015 stretch, and loses his spot is pretty much on the delist pile; especially factoring in he wasn't a top prospect. He by luck has the competition falls around him, and gets a lifeline, and makes the most of it isn't damning at all, it's apart of footy. After all, Kelly is not the first person to have lifeline to save his career, and takes it as his first stint didn't do enough to be a regular.

Equally, by injuring himself at an inopportune time sees Doedee now either have to play very well to force Kelly out, or reinvent himself. If he fails, he's gone which is fair enough.
Could well have started the season if not for injury at an inopportune time.

Still was a massive risk. In hindsight it looks worth taking. But hindsight is 20/20.

We can't even talk from hindsight yet. If he blows his knee out 12 months from now we'll be saying our recruiters got it right.

We can't even talk from hindsight yet. If he blows his knee out 12 months from now we'll be saying our recruiters got it right.

Maybe. But I reckon he would be in our 22 in a year we are in a red hit window. I would take 1 season of Burton that gets us a flag vs 10 from Doedee where we win nothing. Obviously this is extreme as Burton isnt injured and Doedee hasnt played. But basically I am saying - in hindsight - I would have preferred we took the risk given where we sit now. But can understand why we didnt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back