Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Bulldogs + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Some decent debate here.
It’s hard to understand how we have an almost unprecedented short injury list, with basically just Fyfe and Switta unavailable, yet guys who are out of form for multiple weeks still keep their places? We might aswell have 10 injured then.
The one big benefit of a short injury list should be selection pressure. To me you can throw a blanket over the 17th to the 27th best player on this list. Every person here would have a different opinion if asked to rank them.
That says there isn’t much between them on a given day. But if one is out of form (say Schultz for example) and another is inform (Sturt or even Banfield - I can’t believe I just typed that), surely you pick the form one?
If it’s a line ball call between two fringe players pick the bloody form player!! They have done it with Tucker and Colyer but to be honest it should have happened 3 weeks ago. It’s 2 months now since Colyer played a good game.
Acres has played 3 stinkers in a row. We have Wilson tearing it up at peel in recent weeks and Erasmus too. Nathan Wilson deserves to be playing in this 22. He did nothing wrong to be dropped when he did play.
Tabs is slightly different, I know he’s been crap the last month but he is a talisman for the team in a key position role. Unlike Colyer or acres, at his best he’s a top 5 player in the team. If he’s not injured, you have to just try back him in to play himself back to form for finals. I can understand that decision. There is also no clear replacement putting their hands up with Meek a ruck not a KPF and Treacy carrying his own ankle injury and not in much form.
It does however highlight a longer term problem in our list build where the most pivotal player at the club in terms of success over the next 4 years or so is a 29 year old key forward with a very shaky injury record who is maddeningly inconsistent. Lobb is gone out the gap in a few weeks time. Amiss and Tracy won’t be consistent, reliable players until 2026 or so, if at all.
I love what tabs has achieved in his career but do I trust him as a reliable spearhead to lead this forward line to a flag in the next 4 years?

Eh, No. 😥
This might be said on what I have to say .

Matthew Taberner is 29 years old. Contracted until 2024.

If Lobb leaves, then there will be a massive reliance on Taberner for 2023-4 to play every game at full forward while Traecy and Amiss develops. Taberner is 29 years old. I seriously think he will play until he is 32 or 33 years old.

If he does that , then Traecy and Amiss will both have 3-4 years of experience and fully developed by then.

It's scarily similar with Freo being heavily reliant on Matty Pavlich as a full forward from 2012-16.

he was.
I did. ;)
"But the point was made that Lyon lead teams didnt score as much....Thats false in many respects.
Even in the years between 2016 and 2019, we averaged 10.2 to 10.5 goals a game........we now are at 11.3 goals per game average. We have improved by 0.8 to 1.1 average goals a game from a period where we were in basically a complete rebuild"
No he wasn't. He was coach from 2012-2019. I also gave you the stats for his last 8 games. I can't help it if they don't shoehorn into your agenda.

Anyway, I'm not being dragged into another Ross Lyon fan club meeting. If you can't look at his career on balance and realise he wasn't a high-scoring coach that's on you.

Maybe we have the gameplan to beat the Dogs. But they love playing at Marvel and the only sides who have beaten them had key forward combos that kicked 9.1 and 8.3. That is highly unlikely to happen with Tabs/Lobb and I just don't see how our forward line will kick a big enough score.

Round 2Thu 24 Mar 7:20pmBluesMarvel Stadium
34961​
Loss 90-102
Round 3Thu 31 Mar 7:20pmSwansMarvel Stadium
24327​
Win 71-60
Round 5Fri 15 Apr 4:20pmKangaroosMarvel Stadium
32162​
Win 139-71
Round 7Sun 1 May 3:20pmBombersMarvel Stadium
33677​
Win 103-71
Round 9Fri 13 May 7:50pmMagpiesMarvel Stadium
44029​
Win 99-51
Round 12Fri 3 Jun 7:50pmCatsMarvel Stadium
34370​
Loss 70-83
Round 15Fri 24 Jun 7:00pmHawksMarvel Stadium
32505​
Win 125-83
Round 18Fri 15 Jul 7:50pmSaintsMarvel Stadium
25981​
Win 84-56
Round 19Sat 23 Jul 7:25pmDemonsMarvel Stadium
26501​
Win 110-100
Only way I can see Taberner and Lobb kicks a combined 8 goals is that tabs kicks 5 goals and Lobb kicks 3 goals.

More likely both can kick 3 each

That's my sauce. Some of this is player agents posturing for $ so you never really know until crunch time.
Acres if he wants out doesn’t bother me greatly. Should be offered 2 years. Our initial offer was apparently 1 year. He had a good patch just prior to his hamstring injury. Aside from that including start of year and since his return from injury and the previous years has been inconsistent with average bomb it long footskills.

Rather he be retained at 2 years but if our offer of 1 year has seen Colin Young shop him around for 3 years so be it.

Colin Young plays with fire.

Should be an early third round draft pick.

If he does stay he will be fighting out with Henry and NOD and Johnson.

Well....2013 we scored over 100 points in 10 games. 2014 over 100 points in 8 games. 2015 6 games.
2022 we have kicked over 100 points 4 times with 3 games to go.
We are currently averaging 11.3 goals a game. 2013 we averaged 13.4 a game. 2014 averaged 13.2. 2015 averaged 12.2.
Our percentage is currently 114, lower than the 118 that we had in 2015 when we finished on top.
We currently rank 13th for points scored, 2nd for points against. Back in 2013 we ranked 6th and 1st . 2014 6th and 2nd. 2015 9th and 2nd.
That alone shows that between 2013 and 2015 we had a good mix of defense and attack........Now we dont.
Yes Freo kicked 100 points or more 10 times in 2013. Also kicked 99 points in one other game in the regular season and 98 points in the preliminary final.

I think Freo averaged 93 points a game in 2013 or 13.15.93 as our average

Lobb uncertain to play according to Jordan McArdle.
* that Sydney sniper that buried him to the turf?
Ex Toast battler Hickey!!
bulldogs strong fave's now @ $1.47

Christ mate read the discussion he was having. Out of context quoting is so stupid.

Someone has gone on about how this team is kicking scores that Ross wouldn't have got near, and all kingswood has done is show he did.

Team is s**t, we score s**t. Team is good we score good. Coach is one part of that, personnel and experience another.
No, Kingswood cherry picked Ross Lyon's best year/s and tried to make a case that it's the same as JL during a rebuild.

It's not.

It's just conveniently rearranging statistics to portray an ill-informed opinion as fact. Most people can see through it, and some call bullshit when they see it.

I agree with the last part. JL has a forward line made up of 2 30 year olds, a broken KPF and 4 late hail-mary picks. He's done a remarkable job. The fact that even cherry-picking stats has JL even close to Ross Lyon's best years is even more impressive given Lyon had 4 All Australians in their prime in that forward line.

What will be particularly interesting is how Freo transitions from Tabener and Lobb to Amiss and Treacy (and Jackson hopefully).

No, Kingswood cherry picked Ross Lyon's best year/s and tried to make a case that it's the same as JL during a rebuild.

It's not.

It's just conveniently rearranging statistics to portray an ill-informed opinion as fact. Most people can see through it, and some call bullshit when they see it.

I agree with the last part. JL has a forward line made up of 2 30 year olds, a broken KPF and 4 late hail-mary picks. He's done a remarkable job. The fact that even cherry-picking stats has JL even close to Ross Lyon's best years is even more impressive given Lyon had 4 All Australians in their prime in that forward line.

What will be particularly interesting is how Freo transitions from Tabener and Lobb to Amiss and Treacy (and Jackson hopefully).
If only we used our second pick in the MSD on an established KPF

If we were worried about him, surely we fly cover over in Treacy or Meek. It’s not gonna just get sore randomly at a captain run you’d think.

He will play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sore Dockers big man Rory Lobb looks no certainty to take on the team he’s tipped to join at season’s end in what looms as a must-win clash for Fremantle’s top-four hopes.

Lobb battled through Friday’s light captain’s run session at North Port Oval in Port Melbourne and didn’t look 100 per cent, favouring his good left shoulder a lot of the time, in a worrying sign one day out from facing the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium.

The forward/ruck has only been back one game since injuring his right shoulder against Sydney in round 18, a loss to reigning champs Melbourne last Friday night at Optus Stadium where he was held goalless from just eight disposals.

The 29-year-old spent a lot of time doing contested-marking drills to test out his affected area with forward-line coach Jaymie Graham.

The pair were deep in discussions when the hour-long session was coming to an end.
It came after Lobb was restricted to light duties at training at Cockburn on Wednesday.
Fremantle have flown three emergencies over as potential cover. Last week’s unused medical substitute Bailey Banfield appears most likely to replace Lobb if needed, with dropped winger Liam Henry and uncapped draftee Matthew Johnson also on standby.
Banfield was also the late inclusion when tall defender Alex Pearce didn’t get up from a calf injury against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium in round 17.

It's not.

Not sure that I cherry picked anything TBH...I mentioned all years, but forgot 2012....
Okay, lets do 2012: Ranked 10th for points scored. Average Goals per game: 13.

But, in the spirit of Comradery, Go Freo and go Longmuir!!
I hope he gets a decent forward line that can actually turn it on!! I miss seeing us score :(

Lol Ross Lyon was a s**t coach! One of the worst things to happen to the club. He inherited an ace team but was to greedy to serve his own selfish agenda. He won a Ferrari and never maintained it, just flogged it and didn't replace the parts JLo won a older VK Commodore but looked after it, serviced it, new tyres, new paint and wants to get it in showroom condition for all the Holden family to appreciate.

By the way JLo has coached just a third of the time Ross did at the club for the same Win %.
Well I have to disagree with most of this post. Too lazy to dissect this.... Maybe later on

Lol Ross Lyon was a s**t coach! One of the worst things to happen to the club.
What on earth is this s**t mate? Ross is clearly the best coach we ever had lmao (JL will probably overtake him soon enough).

It's not.

Kingswood compared Ross' best year to JL'S best year, what's the big deal?

And no Treacy, Meek or Sturt as an emergency to back him up. They knew he was sore, why not list one of them? Banfield isn't the same.

This is just getting silly now.

An injured Tabs with Bailey as a back up...

the mueller report see GIF

What on earth is this s**t mate? Ross is clearly the best coach we ever had lmao (JL will probably overtake him soon enough).
I agree he is the best coach we have ever have. It is a very very low bar. That says more about our s**t coaching history than anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back