Preview Changes: Round 21 Vs St Kilda + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess McCarthy, Colyer and Dixon need to do a bit more to earn a call up but I still worry about our lack of height and scoring power.

When you've had an incredible win like last week it may be easy to imagine the effort will be replicated whereas the Saints have had the time to envisage where we need to be shut down.

Despite the win last week I don't see not having one key tall forward option in the side as a positive, even if we had to blood a newbie or provide a different role to McCarthy. I'm certainly not convinced that this particular line up would make us finals competitive.

Anyway let's see.

Last edited:

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess McCarthy, Colyer and Dixon need to do a bit more to earn a call up but I still worry about our lack of height and scoring power.

When you've had an incredible win like last week it may be easy to imagine the effort will be replicated whereas the Saints have had the time to envisage where we need to be shut down.

Despite the win last week I don't see not having one key tall forward option in the side as a positive, even if we had to blood a newbie or provide a different role to McCarthy. I'm certainly not convinced that this particular line up would make us finals competitive.

Anyway let's see.

It's counter intuitive I suppose but I think the 1 massive target deep forward has looked like the setup most suitable to how we play quite a few times over the last couple of years and not necessarily just a tall like Lobb but a big strong unit like Darcy and even S Jones a couple of times last year

It's always seems to be a desperation move due to injuries but I remember thinking it's not a bad look with the ruck deep fwd for us

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t get how coaches say we just need the big guys to create a contest and bring it to ground.

If you know you have a small forward line, why not kick it to ground? If you know it’s the plan & your advantage is speed & pressure why not kick it to space or skid it in?

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
It's counter intuitive I suppose but I think the 1 massive target deep forward has looked like the setup most suitable to how we play quite a few times over the last couple of years and not necessarily just a tall like Lobb but a big strong unit like Darcy and even S Jones a couple of times last year

It's always seems to be a desperation move due to injuries but I remember thinking it's not a bad look with the ruck deep fwd for us
I reckon it ain't pretty having a ruck deep fwd but it felt like the opposition didn't mark it as often and went to ground more.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I don’t get how coaches say we just need the big guys to create a contest and bring it to ground.

If you know you have a small forward line, why not kick it to ground? If you know it’s the plan & your advantage is speed & pressure why not kick it to space or skid it in?
The message was to get it moving, fast which we did a bit against Geelong. The first goal was an indicator of how we were going to play. Walters got the clearances with an almost scorpion like kick in soccer, just get it up there quickly and low. Langdon got the goal on the ground
If we do more of that, the smalls will use speed and away we go.
Feel like having Darcy up forward will just encourage, allow the midfield to be comfortable just bombing it. That’s the worry this week. Funnily enough during 2012/13 without pav, we actually used the ball well and hit targets. Mayne and Clarke as the talls.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Carlisle would get Darcy / Sandilands which hopefully keeps him occupied and not zoning off, and Wilkie I suppose goes to Mundy if we go with the same set up. They have one extra tall named on the bench in Battle.

I like their ruckman Marshall, he's mobile like a mid, and has good follow up efforts in the ruck. Darcy and Sandi have to use their body on him and lessen his around the ground input.

I don't expect the same pressure tactics will be as effective as last week. Geelong had a few players last week coming back for their first game from injury - Henderson, Rohan, Menegola, Tuohy and non-regulars in Smith and S. Selwood played 2nd up games. In hindsight they didn't really pick a team that was capable of being first to the loose ball or running the game out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I can see two reasons why you may target the big man;
  • with a ball kicked to ground, most tall defenders would run off Darcy and impact the contest, which is a loss for us. Carlisle wins that contest all day long against Darcy.
  • with a ball kicked to Darcy he neutralises his defender and directs the ball to our smalls, which is a win for us.
Mix it up is our best plan.

Last edited:

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Under used tactic, the team that can get this right can add an extra dimension to their forward play. Certainly smarter than just bombing it in to a big lumbering guy outnumbered three to one or Walters or Matera on a taller stronger defender. Which is often what happens at the moment.

cardamon

Senior List
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

cos footy is so defense oriented it always looks like this and kicking it along the ground is a 50/50 to get you killed on the rebound unless you have uncanny dribbling ability and can nail the kick into the small pockets that only favour your guys. Under pressure everyone is gonna hoof it long and make it darcy's problem

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
A soccer ball, you can direct it to where you want and how fast when there is ground contact. However, a Sherrin can go anywhere it damned pleases if it hits the ground - possibly pop up so that the man can manipulate (grab it, punch it, kick it etc) but it's more likely to do abstract things that only make sense in the 6th dimension. So of itself, ground balls aren't a good option, might as well flip a coin that say's rebound on one side of it.

That doesn't invalidate it's use, but it shouldn't be a bread and butter move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back