Preview Changes round 22 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Well lads , its now official . You can now smash into the back of an opponent so long as you pretend to be going for a mark . Make sure you don't take your eyes off the ball , and if you accidently get them in the head and send them into next week , just get lawyered up and claim you were going for a mark .
AFAIK at the beginning of the season if you left the ground and got someone in the head , it was a no-no . That didn't last long . I believe the AFL now has a problem . This comment is not specific to Cripps , he used the system to get off. But what a mess this whole thing is now . Tonight we saw a bloke get bumped and as a result his kick went sideways and out of bounds . How the F*uk is that insufficient intent? I think whoever is on the rules committee should be sacked. These "Rules" that allow interpretation have totally messed up the game. Don't expect the AFL media to complain , they won't upset the gravy train. The fans are voting with their attendance , tonight with the Saints fighting for a finals berth should of been closer to a full house than turned up.
Seriously who would want to umpire this s**t ?
We now have players that can't kick a goal from 30 meters out , we have players who are better at throwing the ball than hand passing , players who can run from one end of the ground to the other , but can't kick a pass 30 meters without turning it over .
Lets be clear , i am not claiming the game years ago was better , the violence needed to be stamped out . I just think while the modern footballer is more athletic than previous generations , i don't think they have advanced football intelligence to where it should be .
Rant Over !!
Absolutely 100% agree. Was having this discussion with someone yesterday. The word ‘interpretation’ has left an opening for opinion to be drawn and used when making a decision on field, which contravenes the premise of a rule. A rule is an explicit regulation with defined parameters, not one that can be ‘interpreted’. If you’re interpreting it, you’re not administering the rule correctly.

I also don’t like that a player can be suspended for the outcome to the player. You might execute a legitimate tackle but through bad luck or misfortune the tackled player may get hurt. Wasn’t ANB tackle a few years back on that Adelaide player a reasonable one but he got injured? It’s ridiculous.

On current AFL players, well all you need to do is look at training at TAC CUP. I know an AFLW coach quite well and he was involved in the TAC CUP as a coach, he was saying that if you’re a superior athlete, can run from A to B and B to A with power, tackle, pressure, and follow instructions re zoning etc, you’re 3/4 of the way to getting on a TAC CUP list. You’ve got to be an aerobic beast these days. There’s also no way Luke Hodge was getting picked at 1 if his draft class was today.

The game has gone so far around the twist that if Melbourne weren’t legitimately good I’d not be watching at all and GAF about potentially seeing more silverware.

Well lads , its now official . You can now smash into the back of an opponent so long as you pretend to be going for a mark . Make sure you don't take your eyes off the ball , and if you accidently get them in the head and send them into next week , just get lawyered up and claim you were going for a mark .
AFAIK at the beginning of the season if you left the ground and got someone in the head , it was a no-no . That didn't last long . I believe the AFL now has a problem . This comment is not specific to Cripps , he used the system to get off. But what a mess this whole thing is now . Tonight we saw a bloke get bumped and as a result his kick went sideways and out of bounds . How the F*uk is that insufficient intent? I think whoever is on the rules committee should be sacked. These "Rules" that allow interpretation have totally messed up the game. Don't expect the AFL media to complain , they won't upset the gravy train. The fans are voting with their attendance , tonight with the Saints fighting for a finals berth should of been closer to a full house than turned up.
We now have players that can't kick a goal from 30 meters out , we have players who are better at throwing the ball than hand passing , players who can run from one end of the ground to the other , but can't kick a pass 30 meters without turning it over .
Lets be clear , i am not claiming the game years ago was better , the violence needed to be stamped out . I just think while the modern footballer is more athletic than previous generations , i don't think they have advanced football intelligence to where it should be .
Rant Over !!
B14325AE-1FCE-4797-946B-D9171F7D081B.gif

I can see Curnow playing a blinder against us. Cripps loves playing us as well. Annihilated our #1 midfield preseason. Pittonet is a very good in for them as well IMO. Rucks like him do well against Max. Carlton backs to the wall stuff coming up. I still think we win and should win, but wouldn't be overly surprised if we lose this.
That’s the nature of the industry we’re in. We just need to execute our method and play our brand.

Rant Over !!
Again, I have to agree so much with this post. It’s just on point. The rules have been ambiguous and opaque for so long now. Inconsistent, reactive, and downright nonsensical.

I swear by the fact that soon a GF will be decided by a single umpiring event. It’ll literally take one almighty and catastrophic decision to turn a GF and then the AFL will finally have a light bulb moment. Forget all the signs it’s already heading that way, just react on the spot when a big occurrence plays out.

It’ll be great if it’s a Geelong v Collingwood GF and Collingwood is on the wrong end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back