Prediction Changes: Round 22 Vs West Coast + pre-match discussion (DERBY TIME)

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I would love to see freo win a premiership 🏅 I really do.

Scary thing is.... This might be 2012-15 all over again.

I won't be surprised if freo wins a flag between 2023-2025 then drop off.

And if we do that, I don't care what west coast does. Don't even care if west coast wins a flag or 2 by the end of this decade if freo gets one between 2023-5
History repeats except when it doesn’t most of the time. I wouldn’t bother comparing this team to any other in our past as this team will be better for longer. Talent, drive & leadership don’t evaporate overnight, it’ll increase with age & experience because the bulk of our good players are 23-18 years old.

Look I would love to see freo win a premiership 🏅 I really do.

Scary thing is.... This might be 2012-15 all over again.

I won't be surprised if freo wins a flag between 2023-2025 then drop off.

And if we do that, I don't care what west coast does. Don't even care if west coast wins a flag or 2 by the end of this decade if freo gets one between 2023-5
Very different list profiles.

Not saying it can't happen, but if a drop off occurs it will be for different reasons.

If Fyfe was the one driving our run this year there'd be some concern, but he's actually been a bit piece this year.
Obviously Mundy retires, but we look in a better spot without him than we did even last year.
Lobb will go which will hurt, and then when Tabs finishes up we'll have an even bigger hole to fill.
Pearce is on the 'older' end but still should be around a while yet.

We've got some structural players to replace, but we should be able to do a reasonable enough job of that.

It's pretty funny in recent years the derby has really just turned into 'just another game' for both teams.

I think part of that is because usually one team is up and about and the other is in a rebuild. Same thing with the Packers-Bears. Used to be a super hot game with tons of emotion. But the packers have been great for so long it’s not much or a rivalry.

Throw in more player movement than ever and these kinds of rivalries don’t mean as much to the players as they do to the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Egos are going to apply a full Nelson on us - but it's the Jackson Nelson sub variant so it will be more of a 1/4 Nelson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone ever have a weird feeling that being a Freo supporter is about the journey, the actual essence of battling on without success and that when that elusive flag comes it will leave us floundering in an identity crisis.

I used to follow the Brisbane Bears -> Lions even for a little after Freo was formed, and after the first of the three-peat I felt a little empty and uninterested in footy, so yes probably. That was when I properly jumped on the freo bandwagon.

BUT bear in mind that there was not a down town rivalry that they had with anyone. You can imagine that even after we win our first premiership the blue and yellow mob will go something along the lines of "yes so what we are still way out ahead of you!" - which will probably just stoke the fires a little more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back