Preview Changes round 23 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

This is rolling the dice stuff (and I'm prepared to get whacked for this) but Thomlinson is 194cm and his defensive measures may actually be better than nothing. Weid doesn't compete, B Brown is knackered, M Brown not sure about.
Turner is hard at it for the high ball. he could play second string.

Better in packs than all of them, body on body. And more than useful when the ball hits the ground. Can play on talls and smalls. So defensively would add to the team.

We need forward-line pressure, with desperation and composure in tight situations. I would back Hibbo in, to help in this area, and a nice left foot kick.
Very good driver in heavy traffic.

+ Turner worth a try as 2ic tall forward.

Not sure we can carry Jordon and Sparrow. Both were very ordinary last night. Yes, Lever, Brown and Spargo were as well but Goody isn't going to make wholesale changes. I'd bring in Bowey and move Salem to a wing and surely Harmes can do Sparrows role better.

Out Jordon, Sparrow
In Bowey, Harmes
Salem has finally found some form at HBF. Why move him? Jordon has lost form but there’s nobody else to play as a genuine winger unless you want Gus to move or Baker in.

Salem has finally found some form at HBF. Why move him? Jordon has lost form but there’s nobody else to play as a genuine winger unless you want Gus to move or Baker in.

I've been pondering the Jordan thing too, and I think we'd be better off playing Harmes as a mid and moving Gus on the wing (this week especially with Lachie Neale needing a tag). I think that delivers more value than Jordan, who plays too safe and actually doesn't appear fit.

I'd also use J Smith as another target up forward, instead of Sparrow. Would actually give us someone to aim for with our long bombs, and his pressure when the ball is on the deck is pretty good. I think he'd offer more than Sparrow in that role.

No way Goody does either though, haha

So it's looking like:

Small win (i.e. 85 - 75)
Play Sydney at the SCG if they beat St Kilda. Otherwise it'd be Freo or Collingwood at the 'G.

Big win (i.e. 95 - 65)
Play Sydney at the MCG if they have a small win (three goals or less) against St Kilda. If Sydney lose, again it'd be Freo or Collingwood at the 'G.

Loss
Can still make top-four and play Geelong at the 'G if:
  • Freo loses to GWS
  • Collingwood loses to Carlton
  • Or, one of the above happens and Sydney loses big against St Kilda (v unlikely)

If the above doesn't happen, we play Richmond in an EF at the G if all of the favourites win. If Carlton beats Collingwood, we'd play Carlton in an EF.

I'm starting to think playing Syd at the SCG and possibly losing wouldn't be so bad. We get another chance and we will be fired up from the loss and could clean sweep the rest of the games and meet Syd again in the GF at the 'G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to think playing Syd at the SCG and possibly losing wouldn't be so bad. We get another chance and we will be fired up from the loss and could clean sweep the rest of the games and meet Syd again in the GF at the 'G.
Honestly, I'd back us in against Sydney at the SCG. Just need to get the first – weirdly, I can just as easily see us either winning this week and getting up in a QF, or losing this week and being bundled out week 1 by Richmond or Carlton.

Honestly, I'd back us in against Sydney at the SCG. Just need to get the first – weirdly, I can just as easily see us either winning this week and getting up in a QF, or losing this week and being bundled out week 1 by Richmond or Carlton.

I feel if we make the 4 and lose the QF I'm very confident in the semi, but if we finish 5th and play the EF first up I can see us falling apart. Carlton/Richmond/Dogs are going to come out and play their GF in that first final you just know it.

Dude's * watching an SCG game telecast. The viewing angle is dogshit
Can confirm that, if you're at ground level, it's almost as bad at the stadium.

Kinda like watching from ground level at Marvel – you can see the shoulders and heads of players on the other side of the ground but not much else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back