Prediction Changes: Round 23 Vs GWS + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lobb is injured he shouldn't play but I guess it would be nice to have him in to at least be a decoy for Sam Taylor.

Out Shultz? Mate our FWD line is the problem and you want to get rid of the best defensive fwd who has kicked the 2nd most goals for us??
For who? Fyfe?? FMD he hasn't got a defensive bone in his body.
Yeah. For most of the season I would have preferred to drop Walters but he has hit some form lately. Could argue Frederick should come out before Schultz but I like his pace.

Yeah. For most of the season I would have preferred to drop Walters but he has hit some form lately. Could argue Frederick should come out before Schultz but I like his pace.
Yes. Frederick who has kicked more goals than any one else on the team in the past 3 weeks should be dropped. You can definitely argue that.

What is it with people bagging Freddy? Do people who make these comments actually watch us play? He is our most in-form small forward alongside Walters. Schultz is the one way out of form atm that needs a kick up the ass.

Yes. Frederick who has kicked more goals than any one else on the team in the past 3 weeks should be dropped. You can definitely argue that.
Yes. Lobb who played the worst game out of anyone on the team last week should be dropped. You can definitely argue that.

It is personnel on the forwards part. I don't know if coaching can fix it. For someone like Freddy, I can at least seem him learning and getting better. But we need natural forwards who know what to do on instinct. Our goals mostly come from hard work and luck, and not enough from natural forward craft.

The goal Freddy ended up kicking in the third should have been a far more easier passage to goal. Logue got the ball on the wing in miles of space and all that was ahead was Freddy on old man Hurn. Schultz was way on the other side near the 50.

There should have been two options ... kick over the top where Freddy would burn Hurn and run into the goal square. Or kick to Schultz who has held his ground at 35m out and made his opponent choose whether to cover Freddy running into the square (kick to Schultz) or stay on Schultz (kick to Freddy). They should be where the arrows are below. Or Freddy could also double back to Logue for a chip pass (sort of what Logue made him do, but if it was Freddy's idea he would have had separation with his speed).

Instead, Freddy runs around in circles and basically stands next to Hurn, not sure what to do, and Schultz sprints to the goal square chasing his man who is goal side and sprinting to cover a kick over the top. Giving Logue nothing much to kick to and luckily Walters comes to the rescue. If this play stuffed up, I bet most people would be blaming Logue. But Freddy and Schultz are the ones who made it difficult.

View attachment 1477968

Yep that was a terrible passage of play by Freddy who thankfully was able to kick the goal in the end. He needed to commit either way, come at Logue for a short kick/leave the back open or, my preference, burn towards goal and then double back for a hard leave.

Like you say he was kind of forced into the latter by the kick from Logue which was probably Logue's best option given where everyone was at the time. The kick to Schultz would be risky I think, that kick would be in the air for a long time and the over the top probably doesn't get there quick enough to not be spoiled.

Anyway for me it is

Out: Lobb, Tucker (medi-sub)
In: Meek, Sturt

Darcy to camp forward most of the game. Banners to go and play a full game at Peel as a forward. Fyfe if fit limited minutes at Peel.

I would almost rather lose this game than have injuries to Lobb/Fyfe/Darcy exacerbated.

Anyway for me it is

Darcy to camp forward most of the game. Banners to go and play a full game at Peel as a forward. Fyfe if fit limited minutes at Peel.

I would almost rather lose this game than have injuries to Lobb/Fyfe/Darcy exacerbated.
Fyfe will come in for Lobb.
Meek for Banfield
Sturt for Tucker
Better forward line.

Would love to trial Meek. Finals and possibly playing Geelong (if 4th), or Richmond (if 5th or 6th).
Would love to chop out Darcy and have Meek battling. Did go with Darcy lone ruck v Richmond and got close to losing due to Tigers exploiting that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is personnel on the forwards part. I don't know if coaching can fix it. For someone like Freddy, I can at least seem him learning and getting better. But we need natural forwards who know what to do on instinct. Our goals mostly come from hard work and luck, and not enough from natural forward craft.

The goal Freddy ended up kicking in the third should have been a far more easier passage to goal. Logue got the ball on the wing in miles of space and all that was ahead was Freddy on old man Hurn. Schultz was way on the other side near the 50.

There should have been two options ... kick over the top where Freddy would burn Hurn and run into the goal square. Or kick to Schultz who has held his ground at 35m out and made his opponent choose whether to cover Freddy running into the square (kick to Schultz) or stay on Schultz (kick to Freddy). They should be where the arrows are below. Or Freddy could also double back to Logue for a chip pass (sort of what Logue made him do, but if it was Freddy's idea he would have had separation with his speed).

Instead, Freddy runs around in circles and basically stands next to Hurn, not sure what to do, and Schultz sprints to the goal square chasing his man who is goal side and sprinting to cover a kick over the top. Giving Logue nothing much to kick to and luckily Walters comes to the rescue. If this play stuffed up, I bet most people would be blaming Logue. But Freddy and Schultz are the ones who made it difficult.

View attachment 1477968

The penny is finally starting to drop around here!

What is it with people bagging Freddy? Do people who make these comments actually watch us play? He is our most in-form small forward alongside Walters. Schultz is the one way out of form atm that needs a kick up the ass.

He's in form now but when he's not he's lucky to touch it 5 times.

View attachment 1477968
100% Logue's fault....
........He should have had 2 bounces and kicked a blinding left foot goal from 45 :p

Lobb simply has to be rested this Saturday. Give him 2 weeks recovery. If he aggravates the injury we will be up the proverbial without the proverbial.

However the club never listens to me so they will play him.

I don't know why I bother honestly.

He retired and won't be playing any further games so no need to worry...

True, no Matty de B but our previous Giants game this year shows Freo need to be on form.

Despite a massive free kick count for us (40 v 16) Freo could only get a point clear of the strong speedy Giants up to the last 10 minutes of Q4. That was despite having a fit Tabs and Lobb.

BTW a then more confident Trav Colyer kicked off Freo's late Q4 surge with a fine goal, followed by Andy, Switta, Freddy, Darcy and finally, Tabs.

In the Rd 4 game against GWS, Pruess matched it with Darcy in the physicality and won more hit outs. Could have been that Darcy was a bit more tentative back then after having missing rounds 1,3 and being subbed off in Rd 2.

Might be good this week to share the ruck duties. Meek in. Darcy plays a bit more forward with Fyfe and Logue as the 3 talls rotating in the forward 50m and Lobb given a 2 week break to strengthen that shoulder. Don't really like this set up, but forward options seem limited.

I felt like Longmuir in the post match interview said too much about how long Lobb has been carrying that injury and how vulnerable he is with a hit in the wrong spot - but I guess other clubs pick up that information from watching the games closely. Will get tested out in the finals.

Anyway for me it is

Yeah I was on the Fyfe and Sturt train this week, but I’m liking Meek and Sturt.

Big Darcy plays deep fwd bring the ball down. Sturt lead out target. Logue plays traditional high CHF.

Put Fyfe/Lobb on ice until 1st week of finals. If Meek plays a blinder he’ll probably be dropped for Lobb regardless. If Sturt performs I would prefer he stays in the team or at least medi sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back