Opinion Changes Round 23 Vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

We should win and win handily, but no win is guaranteed.

Yeah this. Hawks will come to play, but in the end we'll get a 20-30pt win after suffering a scare in the third, and we'll all melt afterwards about not winning by more.

Projected whipping boy on gameday: Nelson

Not sure how it all jiggles around and slots in (?)...but,
Duggan for Rotham (or Schoey if Dugs not ready).
Masten for Hutch.
Cam for Petch.
Nelson to tag.(ain't got no-one else?)

Yeah, a win isn't set in stone, but I'm just confused about the anxiety over coming up against this Hawks side. Why should we have any less faith in this team than we did 2 weeks ago?
I'm not in that camp but my guess is that it's not a lack of faith but moreso not wanting to jinx things by talking about winning margins for top 2 etc, when we still need a basic win to cement top 4.

I'm not in that camp but my guess is that it's not a lack of faith but moreso not wanting to jinx things by talking about winning margins for top 2 etc, when we still need a basic win to cement top 4.

TBH I think this team obliterated any fear of jinxing when they won the premiership.

TBH I think this team obliterated any fear of jinxing when they won the premiership.

You say that but twice they've become outright premiership favourites and both times they drank the koolaid (first was in after round 3 beating the Pies in at the G - gave that awful performance in the second half against Freo and followed up with the Port and Cats games). Next up was just before we faced the Pies.

I want the team to go in to finals feeling like they have something to prove.

You say that but twice they've become outright premiership favourites and both times they drank the koolaid (first was in after round 3 beating the Pies in at the G - gave that awful performance in the second half against Freo and followed up with the Port and Cats games). Next up was just before we faced the Pies.

I want the team to go in to finals feeling like they have something to prove.

I don't think you can put those losses purely down to getting ahead of ourselves. This team has shown time and time again that they can get the job done - and I have faith we'll be going B2B.

Wait, why aren't we a guarantee to beat Hawthorn? I mean, we're the 3rd places side on the ladder, while they're ninth. Just because we lost yesterday doesn't suddenly mean we're vulnerable to every side in the competition.
Because no win is ever a guarantee . I really thought we would win against the Tiges and sew up top two. Obviously not to be. Just pointing out how ironic it would be if we finish 5th and had to play the dogs at home, wouldn't that have this board munching on their undies ? FWIW, I picked us to go back to back before the season started, based on overall I think we are the best side. Have seen nothing that would alter my prediction.

Because no win is ever a guarantee . I really thought we would win against the Tiges and sew up top two. Obviously not to be. Just pointing out how ironic it would be if we finish 5th and had to play the dogs at home, wouldn't that have this board munching on their undies ? FWIW, I picked us to go back to back before the season started, based on overall I think we are the best side. Have seen nothing that would alter my prediction.
Well if we finish 5th you might reconsider.

Out: Hutchings rotham barrass
In: Schofield Duggan Cameron

Barrass lost that game for us. 3 goals as a direct result of his poor turnovers

Can't tolerate that in a premiership contending team. Sends the wrong message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what was missing on Sunday against Richmond?

A player that could run through the middle, legitimately adding midfield value, yet also able to create a marking presence up the line so the key forwards can stay back and keep any opposition sweeper accountable.

In 2018 that player was Lecras.

Yet his natural replacement remains outside of selection - whilst we continue to watch as the forward line provides minimal assistance to the midfield and our key forwards get stranded a kick away from goal in crucial moments.

Simply for the sake of forward structure and midfield rotations, Ah Chee should be playing in this team.

That we are now going into the final match of the season before finals without resolving this issue is both baffling and concerning.

A player that could run through the middle, legitimately adding midfield value, yet also able to create a marking presence up the line so the key forwards can stay back and keep any opposition sweeper accountable.

Yet his natural replacement remains outside of selection - whilst we continue to watch as the forward line provides minimal assistance to the midfield and our key forwards get stranded a kick away from goal in crucial moments.

Simply for the sake of forward structure and midfield rotations, Ah Chee should be playing in this team.

That we are now going into the final match of the season before finals without resolving this issue is both baffling and concerning.
Allen is the LeCras replacement.

Waterman and Ryan should also be giving us that target.

Last year we had Rioli coming from CHB to assist with centre clearance work.

The 6-6-6 rule has made it harder for our NicNat-less midfield to paper over a couple of cracks.

The 6-6-6 rule has made it harder for our NicNat-less midfield to paper over a couple of cracks.

Tim Kelly will fix the cracks.

Midfield rotations including yeo and Kelly will be dynamite

If Brisbane lose 70-71 that takes them to 120%. That's about the least damage I can see being done to their percentage in a loss.

Then assuming the Hawks have at least 50 points in them we would need something like 105 to get our noses in front. Either way it looks like the ballpark differential we need is minimum about 55 points across both games. Unlikely but possible.

And if we don't sneak in to the top 2 my preference is to face the Cats at the MCG, although frankly I think we will beat whoever we play in our first final.

If we play the cats in a final it will be at gmhb stadium

6-6-6 has changed little, we won the clearances against Richmond.

It was after the clearance where we got smashed, particularly once the weather changed.

-22 for contested possessions and -23 for uncontested possessions; beaten on both the inside and outside.

If that doesn't scream that the team is in need of more bodies to improve the midfield then nothing does.

6-6-6 has changed little, we won the clearances against Richmond.

It was after the clearance where we got smashed, particularly once the weather changed.

-22 for contested possessions and -23 for uncontested possessions; beaten on both the inside and outside.

If that doesn't scream that the team is in need of more bodies to improve the midfield then nothing does.
More bodies? Or one Big Fijian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back